+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Is the bass in some rap in some rap songs distorted in the studio?

Chrisrizzy is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Is the bass in some rap in some rap songs distorted in the studio?

While the majority of other songs sound great on my system I have noticed that some rap songs sound like crap because of the bass. The bass is loud and sloppy, or in short, kind of distorted. An example is "Come and See Me" by PartyNextDoor and Drake. I have heard that some producers purposely distort the 808's, is that true? I can't blame this on a box as I'm still sealed.

I have more money than time and expertise so I farm out work to the worthy! ;-)

John Kuthe...

kr15 is offline Polluting Residentials

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Re: Is the bass in some rap in some rap songs distorted in the studio?

Yes..alot of gucci mane is clipped

Team Flex Issues
    2 sq hds208 on AL3500 @ 0.5
    Singer/image dynamics/hertz

REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

EnvoyDenalii is offline B A N N E D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrizzy View Post
    While the majority of other songs sound great on my system I have noticed that some rap songs sound like crap because of the bass. The bass is loud and sloppy, or in short, kind of distorted. An example is "Come and See Me" by PartyNextDoor and Drake. I have heard that some producers purposely distort the 808's, is that true? I can't blame this on a box as I'm still sealed.
    i just played that song on my house system and it sounded like s hit as well. im pretty sure its like song as well. i dont know why they would want a song with s hit bass but they did lol

BSchrowang is online now Budget Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)

The intro to Low Life by Future and The Weeknd is distorted on purpose. But it doesn't light up my clipping indicator on my taramps.

2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor:
    2 American Bass XFL 15"s
    8 cubic foot box
    Taramps HD 3000 at 1 ohm
    Soundbox 1/0 CCA wire
    200 amp police alternator

Jeffdachef is offline 160 db farts n sharts

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5361 Post(s)

your vehicle acoustics come to play as well. A sealed box doesnt save you from bad acoustics. That song sounds fine in my HT system no distortion or anything sounding like crap. The HT sub is ported as well.

09 Sienna Subs : 4 hdc3 18s c pillar below windowline Sub amp: ampere tfe 8.0 at half ohm.
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS Mids/Highs amp: PPI 900.4
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midrange in doors + Crescendo PWX 10s in the kick
    320 amp Singer alt. 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5361 Post(s)

distortion and clipping are not the same things. If thats true than all of metal music is considered clipping

09 Sienna Subs : 4 hdc3 18s c pillar below windowline Sub amp: ampere tfe 8.0 at half ohm.
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midrange in doors + Crescendo PWX 10s in the kick
    320 amp Singer alt. 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

7. Likes ciaonzo, Slo_Ride liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

It must be a combination. Some of the song having ****** bass mixing and accoustics of a sedan. I've deadened what I could without taking the whole **** car apart with Roadkill. I've got it on both front doors, enough of the rear deck and what I could of the trunk (a fair amount of the bottom half of the trunk lid is covered with thick wires and **** I couldn't get it under so I just got it around it lol) so some rattles or what have you are prob escaping adding to it. And Jeff, it is def isn't clipping, my previous amp was nice enough to show me how that sounds. Most of my music sounds awesome, and the few rap songs like this one sound bad even at lower volumes. Metal bass comes in punchy and clear, just how it should

John Kuthe...

LosIsATool is online now DD subs are the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6335 Post(s)

It's more about just being compressed to hell and no room for dynamic range. People don't care about that stuff anymore.

Fuck you papermaker

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T
    JBL MS-8
    DD M1c, DD SS4A
    DD SW2508sc
    Hertz HT28
    Hertz HV165XL
    Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.
    Batcap

10. Likes ciaonzo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5361 Post(s)

It must be a combination. Some of the song having ****** bass mixing and accoustics of a sedan. I've deadened what I could without taking the whole **** car apart with Roadkill. I've got it on both front doors, enough of the rear deck and what I could of the trunk (a fair amount of the bottom half of the trunk lid is covered with thick wires and **** I couldn't get it under so I just got it around it lol) so some rattles or what have you are prob escaping adding to it. And Jeff, it is def isn't clipping, my previous amp was nice enough to show me how that sounds. Most of my music sounds awesome, and the few rap songs like this one sound bad even at lower volumes. Metal bass comes in punchy and clear, just how it should
    mainly acoustics. My vehicle acoustics does fine with everything else except for some rap songs like YG - who do you love(chorus part) but that song comes out squeaky clean in the home theater. but hits like pure garbage in the vehicle. Tested with both sealed and ported. low tuned ported actually did a lot better than sealed however its still in the realm of not listenable to my ears.

You need to realize that there will always be a delay with in vehicle setups especially trunk setups. due to all the things getting in the way and your subs having to fire towards the trunk. Doesnt matter if its sealed there will always be delay and some form of cancellation making your bass sound like garbage on a few songs. The best you can do is just avoid them. Deadening doesnt magically make it disappear its the shape of your vehicle and the overall design, you cant fight that.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Yeah, I agree about compression. Other genres are usually fine at 192kbps bit rate, but rap can def be a hit or miss at that rate.

Jeff: I have learned to accept that a sedan isn't optimal for a sub haha. I actually was about to build a ported box until I replaced my battery and got a better LOC. Do you think a going from 1 cuft to 1.5 cuft sealed box will help me get a more full or natural sound out of my Kappa? It sounds a little choked IMO even tho it's seeing 150w over its RMS

John Kuthe...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5361 Post(s)

Yeah, I agree about compression. Other genres are usually fine at 192kbps bit rate, but rap can def be a hit or miss at that rate.

Jeff: I have learned to accept that a sedan isn't optimal for a sub haha. I actually was about to build a ported box until I replaced my battery and got a better LOC. Do you think a going from 1 cuft to 1.5 cuft sealed box will help me get a more full or natural sound out of my Kappa? It sounds a little choked IMO even tho it's seeing 150w over its RMS
    you can do 1.5 but its not gonna be a big difference main thing will be just a shift to a lower peak frequency Mainly a slight bandwidth shift, your group delay will be higher so it might get less tight. The best you can do is to bypass the trunk but that requires a lot of work.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    you can do 1.5 but its not gonna be a big difference main thing will be just a shift to a lower peak frequency Mainly a slight bandwidth shift, your group delay will be higher so it might get less tight. The best you can do is to bypass the trunk but that requires a lot of work.
    In that case, I'll probably just keep my current box. Kind of a stupid question, but is it possible to swap out the tweeters in my component set and still retain the crossover and mids from this JBL component set? If not, I'll have to save for a pair of Kappa comps.

John Kuthe...

Popwarhomie is online now Team Lethal Pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1324 Post(s)

2016 Focus ST3 - LC7i / Hertz dsk165.3s/ PPI900.4 / SQ7k / Sundown NSv3 15"/ EA 400amp alt / Northstar 170
    2010 Focus coupe [email protected]
    Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /
    https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Broccoli actually doesn't sound half bad on my system

John Kuthe...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5361 Post(s)

In that case, I'll probably just keep my current box. Kind of a stupid question, but is it possible to swap out the tweeters in my component set and still retain the crossover and mids from this JBL component set? If not, I'll have to save for a pair of Kappa comps.
    Better if you give up on components completely and actually do active network setup and pay for quality drivers rather than sh*tty drivers with sh*tty crossovers. Sorry its just no component set under 200 has impressed me and i've basically heard them all. They easily get outclassed by some cheap pwx with any pair of 92 db sensitivity silk domes ran active by FAR.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List