+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Car radio used in a porch??

platinumaa is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car radio used in a porch??

Hello all! newbie here looking for some knowledge.. I am interested in using a car stereo in my covered porch area. I want to use these speakers with it “KICKER KB6000 6.5" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AJYZ22R6PYFT6

Does anyone have a suggestion for a car radio, in the $200+/- range, that I can use in my porch area? I want it to have a remote control, wifi/Bluetooth, etc so I can use my phone to play music with Pandora. And also would the radio work with those speakers?

Also, with the suggestion of the radio, can someone give a quick overview on how to power the radio, if I would need to purchase anything else to make it work. the radio will be next to a 110v power outlet, but assume I would need to purchase something else to convert the 110v. The radio will be covered out of the weather under the porch.

Thanks for the help!

TRaGiK is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: Car radio used in a porch??

https://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS12K...+supply+10+amp

You'll need something like this along with an antenna if you want to listen to local radio stations.

zippinbye is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pioneer AHV-X2500BT. I just happen to be looking for one in case ours is fried (not it's fault). $200 on eBay and bit more elsewhere. It's a discontinued (superseded really) unit, but is loaded with great features. Available new in box or as factory refurbished still. Stream music via Bluetooth audio or have a speakerphone call on your porch if you and your neighbors want to hear the whole thing. Heck, watch DVD movies on small screen if you wish. It comes with a microphone and a wireless remote (suggest velcro to attach it to a known location or it will be lost pronto. No idea about the speakers you mentioned, but it should be plenty loud without an amp using most common 6.5" car speakers in a box, or maybe consider some outdoor boxed speakers. But maybe add a mono or bridged amp with a subwoofer to add some depth in bass. This unit works great in a car, and for two hundred bucks, it should be a great porch system. Like the other member said add a power supply and antenna for full function. Or go "hillbilly style" with a car battery that requires occasional charging, and a coat hangar stuffed in the antenna connector. Personally, I think it would look great flush-mounted into a keg refrigerator, which is a great enhancement for those too lazy to walk all the way to the kitchen to get a cold brew. No judgement about your porch, but I'm quite sure many a porch around the country sports such a level of sophistication! Have fun.

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

Why the car HU? For one, those are 75w speakers. The 15-20w you'll get from a HU will not give you much volume before they start to distort. And you'll have the added hassle/expense of incorporating the power supply.

Sherwood has the RX-4508 for <$150 which has bluetooth and a remote. It's 100x2 at 8 ohms. Unfortunately those speakers are 8 ohms so you'd have to wire them in series for 16 ohms where they'd get ~25w each. Still more power than a 12v HU, less hassle, and probably cheaper.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List