Closed Thread

Reload Thread: amp: how many channels with dvc sub(s)???

justchillin is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

amp: how many channels with dvc sub(s)???

ok the subs i'm looking at are 12" dvc type r (4 ohm) my question is should i be looking at mono, 2-channel, or 4-channel???

i'm looking for 300watts rms....what watt amp and how may channels should i look for???

also i might want to add a second sub later...

thanks

2000 Civic Si (shopping for system now)
    Infinity kappas 62.5i

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I would stick to either a 2 channel or a mono class d. The mono class d would be the ideal choice. And seeing ow your sub(s) are dual 4ohm. You have several choices. With one you can wire it to 2ohm or 8 ohm. With two together you can get either 4ohm or 16 ohm. So i would look for an amp that puts out the power you are after at one of these impedences.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    see thats where i get confused...if i have a dvc then doesn't that mean i need 4 ohms going to each vc???
    is there anywhere online that i can get a simple explaination???

or can you descripe the setup i would need running either 1 or 2 dvc (4ohm/4ohm) subs...assuming that i go with a mono amp????

basically what i need to know is if i run a mono amp with 2 subs do i look for one that's 600watts RMS x 1 at 4ohms??
    would that give me the 300 rms per sub that i want???

thanks
    Last edited by justchillin; 05-07-2002 at 06:49 PM.

Infinity kappas 62.5i

wesleysh is offline Senior VIP w/large Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With two 4 Ohm subs you can actually look for an amp that is 300w x 1. The reason is you can wire the subs in parallel and get 600w x 1, which is what you want. This is because your amp sees a 2 Ohm load, not 4, so its power approximately doubles.
    OR
    You can get an amp that is 1200w x 1. If you wire the subs in Series you will get a 8 Ohm load, which will cut the power in half. Giving you approximately 600w x 1. This will also give you the flexibility to go as high as 2400w x 1 if you later want the extra power, maybe add a 3rd or 4th sub?
    The advantage mono amps have over 2 and 4 channel amps is they are designed for subs. You'll able to play with bass boosts a crossover settings that are not available on multi-channel amps. They really help you control your subs output.
    Personally I would go with a 300w x 1 Mono amp. And yes, I would go with class D. Kicker would be a good choice for this.
    You can find a good glossary of these terms and more info at www.crutchfield.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i assume you mean the amp should be 300w x 1 @ 4ohms right???

ok and that if run in parallel will give each sub 300 watts right? question is how do you run 2 dvc subs in parallel?? i saw a diagram somewhere else that said if you run 2 dvc subs in parallel but run the vc in series on each sub that would give you a 4 ohm load...is this correct? and if so will running the vc in series effect the wattage???

here is the site i say the diagram...its a little more than half way down the page:
    http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spkrmlti.htm

thanks

Infinity kappas 62.5i

Closed Thread