Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Opinions on Mounting an Amp to the Sub box

ThUnDa is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Opinions on Mounting an Amp to the Sub box

good, bad, dont know? Help me out, i havn't done it yet because it heard it's not a good idea, but just out of curriosity, what's your opinion?

Just bought:
    AUDIOBAHN 8002T amp and AUDIOBAHN AW1006T 10" sub, paid 180 for the amp and 95 for the sub off of e-bay, opinions would be appreciated for quality and wiring options *i'm a n00bie*

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Opinions on Mounting an Amp to the Sub box

My thought on the situation.

Why make it easier to steal all your stuff at once ?

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the enclosure is properly built and braced then it is probably the most stable surface to mount to. Road vibration would be worse than anything you should pick up off a properly built box. You should have the enclosure secured to the car in such a way that it won't move around and that will make it harder to steal also.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

ThUnDa is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

now...i bought this

Audiobahn ADS10E (not that it matters, seems it's a old generation as it's not on thier site) think this'll hold up?

Sleeklsc is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

i had a quad 12" box that i mounted all my amps on...there were 2 800.2 kickers,1 200a4 rf,mtx x over ,2 rf caps(now in garbage) and a phenix gold distro box....now what i did was cut a peice of plywood to match the diameter of the top of the box..i had 2" padding layin around so i put that between the box and the plywood......it worked well and nothin broke....personally i wouldnt have done it if i had room, but w/ a 12" quad box u dont have much room to work with...ya no.....if u choose to mount it on the box take sum old carpet or carpet paddding and put 2 or 3 layers between the two....gl

Ref's:1. Midwestcustoms 1.5. Desertheat 2. Mjbailey 3. Terryracing86 4. Sickmint79 5. Untouchable11 6. mattj 7. Ssweet96 8. Kool9accord 9.Kristinspapi10. Kmhogan224 11. Alpine3612 -x3- 12. Vectork39 13. Livinlife 14.Chriscivic 15. Violentraptor 16. Ricky616 17. Bassaddictj 18.orioles26 19.Khail19 20. jak3th3snak311 21. Myjaja 22. Springy101 x2 23. Ali1 24. Privatepastry 25. Plus about 10+ more..

ThUnDa is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

carpet maybe, but the screw's are still a firm point that will shake the amp.... ****, well i've also been toying with the idea of mouting it on a spot (that's rather hard to explain) suffice to say like mounting it on the Wheel well, now is a

90degree mount going to work for heat disipation?
    Or should i go for a 75degree(ish)

Are these angles too much?

*the two options i have here aside from an idea of mounting one end with a 2x4 wood block under one side and the other screwed to the carpet to sort of angle the amp towards the back so it can be seen better*

If that's hard to visualize i understand, that's the best i can explain it.

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is it that when I say something that goes against the "way it's always been done" people don't listen to me. You can mount your amps to your sub box with no ill effects. We're not dealing with tube amps which are really sensitive to vibration and really have no place in a car. Car amp are made to handle the vibration of driving which is a lot more punishing than anything you subs could dish out to an amp mounted solidly to a surface of any kind. As I said, if you sub box is built right, it won't vibrate AT ALL from the sub. Any vibrations from the sub would be felt anywhere else in the car more than on the box. If your box id flexing to the point that it is giving your amps troubles, then your box is costing you a ton of output from your subs.

The way things have been done in the past in car audio is many times not the most scientifically sound way to do things. Examples: A ground to the chassis with the shortest piece of wire possible is best. While that may be true with old, heavy cars that had a real frame and were made of substatial sheets of steel, my car is basically made of tin foil and is, as best I can tell, glued together rather than welded. There is no way that the chassis of that car will give me as good a ground as i want. I ran a 0ga wire from my ground distro block to the battery - terminal. David Navone says that I would get a ton of noise by doing this. I have no noise what-so-ever in my system. I did it right from the beginning. It didn't take any noise sniffing or troubleshooting on my part to make it noise free. If you know what can cause noise and you take measures to prevent it then there won't be any noise. Also my signal cables are ziptied to my power wires for a run of about 3 feet. Oh, ****, I shouldn't do that! Whatever. Use decent RCA's and invest in a good deck with good signal ground isolation (Alpine and Eclipse are the best for this from what I can tell) and you reduce your chances for noise. Get a good ground for everything. If you are running larger than 4 ga in a newer car, then you will probably be better off grounding to the battery. This is based on some real world testing done by Manville Smith at JL Audio, not some out to prove his importance in the world of car audio self fulfilling prophecy test concocted by some of the "gurus" of car audio who I won't name, but I think several of you know who I am talking about and my opinion of them. People, don't take everything you are told at face value. If the person telling you something can't tell you why or point you in the direction of an answer to "Why?" how do you know that they are correct?

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Diplexers is offline Logarithmic Robot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    real world testing done by Manville Smith at JL Audio
    Check this out. I just moved into some nice apartments here in Phoenix and just met one of my neighbors. He works at JL audio here in Phoenix and along side the guys responsible for the design and engineering of JL amplifiers. He thought it was pretty cool that I knew my business when it came to JL.

Anyway he is a cool cat. I'll try to stear him to caraudio.com and see how he likes it.

Eclipse CD5000
    PPI... DEQ-230
    PPI... PC450 4 channel
    Eclipse 3640 4 channel
    FI 12"BTL
    Eclipse DA7232 (2000 watts RMS)<------
    Kicker ND 25 Tweets
    Kicker RS6 6.5" comps
    Kicker R5c 5.25" midrange

ThUnDa is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how did you run 0gauge without getting a massive hump in your carpeting?

Closed Thread