Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Nothing ever goes my way...EQ installation suggestions?

sumone is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon9 Nothing ever goes my way...EQ installation suggestions?

well, got my metra kit (99-4544 to be exact) so I could put the HU and the EQ in the dash.

Problem 1: kit isn't "tall" enough to fit both in there without causing a bend on the sides (think slight hourglass-shaped).

Problem 2: so I squeeze them in the kit and throw them in the dash; all is well except now the dash trim won't fit back on

PRoblem 3: so I take off the face of the kit that protrudes, stuff it back in the dash, and now the HU can't go all the way back, so it sticks out about an inch (also add to the fact that you can clearly see the insides of the dash by looking through the sides of the kit.

So....No HU & EQ in the dash for me...so what do you guys think'll be the best solution to install them (while trying to achieve these results

- EQ must be easily reachable (aka no glove box)
    - HU somewhat reachable as all I will need to do is turn it on, switch mode to aux and play my mp3 player. And sometimes I will need to do the radio & cd if I forget my mp3 player.

What i was thinking was HU in the normal spot on the dash, and EQ in between the driver's seat and the center storage compartment. Basically the controls of the EQ would face the ceiling so that it's vertically mounted; but is that a good idea...

so...any suggestions?

best sig of all time

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Nothing ever goes my way...EQ installation suggestions?

also, here's a pic of how the dash and stuff looks. (this pic was in the past; got a new HU since then, but the one you see there is the one i'm gonna be working with).

best sig of all time

zephyr is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you can put the eq in the slot below the hvac controls. might need some custom work done though.

Denon - PPI - JL Audio- Image Dynamics - CDT Audio - Hugfen

forbidden is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is an opinion. An EQ is either a bandaid or a problem solver. By the latter I mean that you have one prout and need 3, so you buy an eq that has 3 preouts and sub level control. By the former I mean that you have chosen an eq to try and solve an issue regarding sound quality. This is better rectified by using proper speakers and better mounting locations or a better source unit. I'm not trying to knock your investment here at all. An eq is usually used to solve a dedicated problem, if you are trying to use it to correct for sq problems then it is a bandaid. My advice is simple, you can go one of a couple of ways. Either glass the eq and head into the factory bezel and retexture and paint it. Move the eq somewhere else as you mentioned. Sell both the eq and the cd player and go with a better sq cd player that has eq functions (if you need them - personally I do not). The latter here is the best advice. My recommendation is a good Eclipse cd player and your system will probably come alive.

Eq's are usefull sometimes as I pointed out. More often than not though, the more times you use an eq to get better sq you need to ask yourself why is it this bad in the first place and how can I correct the problem properly. A 31 band 1/3 octave eq is a favorite for me as it allows the user to zero in on a specific problem area with a particular speaker and correct that speaker only. Most Graphic eq's adjust all speakers and do not solve the problem. Find out which use of the eq most relates to your problem, the bandaid or the problem solver.

Yeah, whatever

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I get what you're saying. Let me tell you the situation:
    1. bought a dual xd-6200 HU from best buy; 1 4-volt preamp output
    2. needed more preamps so I bought this more expensive clarion HU in my sig
    3. discovered line drivers...
    4. found out by hooking it up I'd get a lower noisefloor and multiple outputs off of a stereo signal
    5. then found out that eqs are line drivers too.
    6. the only "special" functions I use on this new HU (clarion) is just it's EQ'ing abilities; specifically, the new one has subwoofer level control/frequency.

...which led me to....
    figure that if I hooked back up the old HU with 1output, hook up the eq, and sell the clarion HU, I'd be happy...

in other words, my whole plan is with the old HU and the equalizer, I'd be more satisifed than just with this new more-expensive HU with 1.8volt outputs that distorts early....

also anyone who knows me knows that I'm constantly touching the bass & treble controls when switching songs. there's no one magic-setting for me...it's all song dependent. So I wouldn't really be using the EQ to fix a problem and just leave it alone, it's just that with the many different types of music and variety in the songs I listen to, I need customization....this is a just a simple 5-band eq, which would be just enough. A 31/32 band EQ would be overkill!

best sig of all time

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also I would prefer not to do any cutting of anything. The HVAC controls/ash tray aren't wide enough for the eq.

as far as glassing, not sure how I would go about doing that?

best sig of all time

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

anyone have any pics of where they installed an in-dash eq?

best sig of all time

Closed Thread