+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58

Reload Thread: So bigger amp?

  1. #16
    garychoffmann's Avatar
    garychoffmann is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    So your loc'd out? I would start there. On your wave was it fuzzy or was it cutting the peak off?







  2. #17
    Pyrofan's Avatar
    Pyrofan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by garychoffmann View Post
    So your loc'd out? I would start there. On your wave was it fuzzy or was it cutting the peak off?
    Loc out? What do you mean? I got a nice clean sine wave. Turn the gain till it distort then backed off till it cleaned up




  3. #18
    garychoffmann's Avatar
    garychoffmann is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    What are you running the rca's from? I assumed a line out converter hooked up to the factory head unit. Or are you running rca's from the tablet into your amp? What I'm getting at is if the amp is not receiving a good signal as it starts to amplify that signal it gets dirty quick.




  4. #19
    Pyrofan's Avatar
    Pyrofan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by garychoffmann View Post
    What are you running the rca's from? I assumed a line out converter hooked up to the factory head unit. Or are you running rca's from the tablet into your amp? What I'm getting at is if the amp is not receiving a good signal as it starts to amplify that signal it gets dirty quick.
    Pac unit. The rca cables gave a clean signal. They are near no power wires. They are shielded too. Signal seems clean all around. I think the amp is just inefficient and need to be replaced.




  5. #20
    winkychevelle's Avatar
    winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ponchatoula, La
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    742 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm1400 View Post
    Just seen your'e running two sa 12's then yeah I would get a bigger amp some where between 2000-3000 watts. Those sa 12's can handle some power.

    ummmm no the sundown sa 10 12 and 15 are thermally limited to 1000w each after that the coil starts to melt. on music you could get away with a bit more but with dubstep or tones you would ruin the sub quick.

    my guess is he has two d2 subs wired to 2 ohm reason for low out put on amp either that or he doesnt realize a soft clip doesnt hurt the subs.
    or that the loc is limiting the clean signal

    if the subs arent moving they either arent broke in or they are in the wrong enclosure. ive dealt with alot of sundown subs and it doesnt take much to get them moving.



    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

  6. #21
    Pyrofan's Avatar
    Pyrofan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    ummmm no the sundown sa 10 12 and 15 are thermally limited to 1000w each after that the coil starts to melt. on music you could get away with a bit more but with dubstep or tones you would ruin the sub quick.

    my guess is he has two d2 subs wired to 2 ohm reason for low out put on amp either that or he doesnt realize a soft clip doesnt hurt the subs.
    or that the loc is limiting the clean signal

    if the subs arent moving they either arent broke in or they are in the wrong enclosure. ive dealt with alot of sundown subs and it doesnt take much to get them moving.
    You mean 1000 watts. They are DVC 4 wired down to one. The subs move. Just not at their full XMAX. Dont get me wrong the truck bumps now but i think it can get louder. Enclosure should be good.




  7. #22
    Jerm1400's Avatar
    Jerm1400 is offline Member



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    ummmm no the sundown sa 10 12 and 15 are thermally limited to 1000w each after that the coil starts to melt. on music you could get away with a bit more but with dubstep or tones you would ruin the sub quick.

    my guess is he has two d2 subs wired to 2 ohm reason for low out put on amp either that or he doesnt realize a soft clip doesnt hurt the subs.
    or that the loc is limiting the clean signal

    if the subs arent moving they either arent broke in or they are in the wrong enclosure. ive dealt with alot of sundown subs and it doesnt take much to get them moving.
    I've seen videos of people running a pair of sa 8's on 2500 watts plus. It can be done it just depends on your setup




  8. #23
    garychoffmann's Avatar
    garychoffmann is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm1400 View Post
    I've seen videos of people running a pair of sa 8's on 2500 watts plus. It can be done it just depends on your setup
    running of a 2500-3000 watt amp and taking 1250 to 1500 a piece are 2 completely different things.




  9. #24
    Jerm1400's Avatar
    Jerm1400 is offline Member



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by garychoffmann View Post
    running of a 2500-3000 watt amp and taking 1250 to 1500 a piece are 2 completely different things.
    Like I said it depends on your setup say for instance like putting subs in a smaller box so they can handle more power or etc.....




  10. Dislikes Freeman, hispls disliked this post
  11. #25
    Pyrofan's Avatar
    Pyrofan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by garychoffmann View Post
    running of a 2500-3000 watt amp and taking 1250 to 1500 a piece are 2 completely different things.
    What do you recommend. They can take 1k each cant they?
    Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    ummmm no the sundown sa 10 12 and 15 are thermally limited to 1000w each after that the coil starts to melt. on music you could get away with a bit more but with dubstep or tones you would ruin the sub quick.

    my guess is he has two d2 subs wired to 2 ohm reason for low out put on amp either that or he doesnt realize a soft clip doesnt hurt the subs.
    or that the loc is limiting the clean signal

    if the subs arent moving they either arent broke in or they are in the wrong enclosure. ive dealt with alot of sundown subs and it doesnt take much to get them moving.
    Whats you're opinion then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm1400 View Post
    Like I said it depends on your setup say for instance like putting subs in a smaller box so they can handle more power or etc.....
    Well the box is already on the small side for two SA-12s ( that's what I was told). I think a PH 4000 may do the trick. Does about 2k at 1 ohm.




  12. #26
    Jerm1400's Avatar
    Jerm1400 is offline Member



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofan View Post
    What do you recommend. They can take 1k each cant they?
    Yea there's a guy I know named Denis he had six sa 12's feeding them 1200 watts each daily no prob so yea go for it just set your gains right.

    Whats you're opinion then?
    Well the box is already on the small side for two SA-12s ( that's what I was told). I think a PH 4000 may do the trick. Does about 2k at 1 ohm.
    Yes




  13. #27
    garychoffmann's Avatar
    garychoffmann is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Small boxes don't increase power handling. Your box is actually maxed out by sundowns specs. 2 cubes per is max recommended. So your box should be pretty efficient. I would possibly check out another amp in your truck and see if your wave is getting sloppy prematurely. It could possibly be the amp. The ph4000 is a decent amp. Personally if I was going to get another amp I would look for a constant power amplifier. That american bass amp is rated at 150 amp fusing the quart 140. So not much of a jump.




  14. #28
    winkychevelle's Avatar
    winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ponchatoula, La
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    742 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by garychoffmann View Post
    Small boxes don't increase power handling. Your box is actually maxed out by sundowns specs. 2 cubes per is max recommended. So your box should be pretty efficient. I would possibly check out another amp in your truck and see if your wave is getting sloppy prematurely. It could possibly be the amp. The ph4000 is a decent amp. Personally if I was going to get another amp I would look for a constant power amplifier. That american bass amp is rated at 150 amp fusing the quart 140. So not much of a jump.
    The american bass ph4000md makes 1880ish watts at 1ohm I would recommend the vfl hybrid 4480



    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

  15. #29
    Jerm1400's Avatar
    Jerm1400 is offline Member



    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by garychoffmann View Post
    Small boxes don't increase power handling. Your box is actually maxed out by sundowns specs. 2 cubes per is max recommended. So your box should be pretty efficient. I would possibly check out another amp in your truck and see if your wave is getting sloppy prematurely. It could possibly be the amp. The ph4000 is a decent amp. Personally if I was going to get another amp I would look for a constant power amplifier. That american bass amp is rated at 150 amp fusing the quart 140. So not much of a jump.
    Well I know a guy named Denus that ran 6 sa 12's with 1100-1200 rms to each. I would run a saz 2500 but idk if that's in your price range. I plan on running two American bass tnt 12's in a 4th order blow through on about 800 watts each in a Buick Century
    Last edited by Jerm1400; 05-16-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: s




  16. #30
    winkychevelle's Avatar
    winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ponchatoula, La
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    742 Post(s)

    Re: So bigger amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm1400 View Post
    Well I know a guy named Denus that ran 6 sa 12's with 1100-1200 rms to each. I would run a saz 2500 but idk if that's in your price range. I plan on running two American bass tnt 12's in a 4th order blow through on about 800 watts each in a Buick Century
    Most of these guys tunning high wattage dont use there amps total power for long. Yea a short demo is fine but a 2hour trip cross state and you have cooked coils. If I where to use sundown I would run a saz1500d which makes right at 2k of power. The 2.5inch voice coil can only handle so much . And the sa8s mentioned above are completely different motor designs that allow for alot more forced cooling



    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

  17. Likes Jerm1400 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. so many amps but which one?
    By liqdsm in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 04:22 PM
  2. so many amps, so little money
    By eviltuna7 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 12:13 AM
  3. I need a bigger amp
    By Nickfireblazer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 10:59 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-13-2002, 01:40 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-02-2002, 06:46 AM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum