+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: rear windshield falling apart... Any suggestions?

jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

rear windshield falling apart... Any suggestions?

So for the past months that I've had my Zcon everything is fine and dandy, no rattles just pure straight up bass and it was cool.

Recent weeks however, i'm getting a crazy rattle and losing some loudness from that rattle. I pressed down everything from rear deck to crawling in my trunk(ouch) to pinpoint the location.

I know for sure its the rear windshield making the rattle. When i push up from the inside it stops the rattle and when its pushed down from the outside, its stops the rattle. and its not hitting the tail light or rear deck, its actually shaking off at the top where it connects to the roof, the noise is clearly concentrated at that area.

I've tried adding some deadener at the joints where they connect but no luck. My car's just old and falling apart, can only handle windshield flex for so long before something goes wrong... I've heard about bracing but would like to use that as a last resort... next to redoing the whole windshield.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

NASTY08IMPALA is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Re: rear windshield falling apart... Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdachef View Post
    So for the past months that I've had my Zcon everything is fine and dandy, no rattles just pure straight up bass and it was cool.

Recent weeks however, i'm getting a crazy rattle and losing some loudness from that rattle. I pressed down everything from rear deck to crawling in my trunk(ouch) to pinpoint the location.

I know for sure its the rear windshield making the rattle. When i push up from the inside it stops the rattle and when its pushed down from the outside, its stops the rattle. and its not hitting the tail light or rear deck, its actually shaking off at the top where it connects to the roof, the noise is clearly concentrated at that area.

I've tried adding some deadener at the joints where they connect but no luck. My car's just old and falling apart, can only handle windshield flex for so long before something goes wrong... I've heard about bracing but would like to use that as a last resort... next to redoing the whole windshield.
    If u plan on keeping the car just get a glass company to reseal it

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    If u plan on keeping the car just get a glass company to reseal it
    just wondering how long it'll last through all the flexing before it needs another resealing lol. Price check, its around 150 for the job right?

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

NASTY08IMPALA is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdachef View Post
    just wondering how long it'll last through all the flexing before it needs another resealing lol. Price check, its around 150 for the job right?
    Give or take ..might get someone to do it on the side for cash.a fresh seal should outlive the car lol

bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

If you're comfortable with doing it and not too worried about cosmetics, you can buy a tube of automotive urethane and reseal the back glass yourself. You won't have to take it out but you will have to be able to get a caulk gun in a position so that you can get the tip of the tube into the gap between the glass and the body of the car. Just be sure to clean the surfaces well before doing it and you'll be fine.

Also, if you get automotive urethane on the headliner or any other cloth it will be there forever. And if you get it on your body, it will be there for almost forever, give or take a few days.

Lastly, cars only have one windshield and it's in the front. The others are door glass, quarter glass and back glass. ;-)

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Pics, we need pics. I would try putting some kind of brace from the bottom of the trunk to the rear deck to kind of push up on the rear windshield maybe that would help? what kind of a car do you have? I know on my hatchback I had the same problem and everytime I would push on the glass it would stop. It ended up being the rear wiper motor assembly

TDot is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you are with geico you can sign up for glass repair for $5 a month. Chip your glass and they'll repair it for free as many times as you need. Once they repair it, it's guaranteed there on, so if it rattles loose again it is "workmanship" .

8. Likes Spl4200 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TDot View Post
    If you are with geico you can sign up for glass repair for $5 a month. Chip your glass and they'll repair it for free as many times as you need. Once they repair it, it's guaranteed there on, so if it rattles loose again it is "workmanship" .
    Thats pretty cool, i'll see if my insurance coverage has something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    If you're comfortable with doing it and not too worried about cosmetics, you can buy a tube of automotive urethane and reseal the back glass yourself. You won't have to take it out but you will have to be able to get a caulk gun in a position so that you can get the tip of the tube into the gap between the glass and the body of the car. Just be sure to clean the surfaces well before doing it and you'll be fine.

Also, if you get automotive urethane on the headliner or any other cloth it will be there forever. And if you get it on your body, it will be there for almost forever, give or take a few days.

Lastly, cars only have one windshield and it's in the front. The others are door glass, quarter glass and back glass. ;-)
    Thanks! will definitely try this!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

thanks @bbeljefe ; the solution worked no more annoying rattle! I also realized i need to swap out my enclosure for my Zcon, it was peaking a little bit close to my car's peak frequency making a lot of nuts, bolts, windshields etc.. coming loose. Gonna switch back to ported and try for lower tuning and an amp upgrade in the future.

11. Likes bbeljefe liked this post
    argenis69 is offline SQ Bass Lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I had that problem and the solution was getting the window resealed.

02 Nissan Maxima
    HU JVC KW-AV61BT.
    Front stage Image Dynamics 6.5 CX62 V2. Rear stage O2 Audio 5 1/4in.
    Cadence Tweeters. KnuKonceptz Rcas and Wiring.
    Kicker Impulse x3i 3-way Active Electronic Crossover(disconnected for now).
    JL Audio 300/4 . Crescendo BC3500D.
    15" Fi Audio SP4 fully loaded in 3.5cu ft flared ported box.
    200 amp HO Alt. One complete +/- run of Knu Ofc 0 gauge with big 3, volt meter inside, biggest acid battery under hood, Battery Isolator. A XS Power D3100 and a Crescendo Logic F-31HP battery in trunk.

+ Reply to Thread