+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Corner box with 0.43ft^3 of space.. Need help finding 10" subs for this airspace

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Corner box with 0.43ft^3 of space.. Need help finding 10" subs for this airspace

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pn9DMH6xzRU

SD-2 8s and 10s have nice sealed box requirements, and really shallow mount depth. Just did three tens in a Mercedes C300 in a half cube each sealed before displacement. So like .42 cubes net. It plays great and doesn't back down from the 30Hz notes like some smaller sealed box configurations do. The WinISD plot looks like garb if you model it which I know some ppl have used as an argument against them to which I say that you can't just go by a seriously guesstimated generalized frequency graph. Properly positioned or loaded these are pretty handy little beefcakes.

If you want to use that little airspace for a 10" SD I would invert it. But a 8"er would be plenty happy in that space.

^^BLACK AND BLUE^^
    4.5 Cubes Tuned to 29Hz
    Two BtLN212D2s on (two 2.5ks)***update now on four IA 20.1s at .175 ohms each
    (Four XS D1400s)***update now eight XS D1400s
    Mechman 270
    Lots of mids n highs

2. Thanks Chromatic thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Corner box with 0.43ft^3 of space.. Need help finding 10" subs for this airspace

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pn9DMH6xzRU

SD-2 8s and 10s have nice sealed box requirements, and really shallow mount depth. Just did three tens in a Mercedes C300 in a half cube each sealed before displacement. So like .42 cubes net. It plays great and doesn't back down from the 30Hz notes like some smaller sealed box configurations do. The WinISD plot looks like garb if you model it which I know some ppl have used as an argument against them to which I say that you can't just go by a seriously guesstimated generalized frequency graph. Properly positioned or loaded these are pretty handy little beefcakes.

If you want to use that little airspace for a 10" SD I would invert it. But a 8"er would be plenty happy in that space.

^^BLACK AND BLUE^^
    4.5 Cubes Tuned to 29Hz
    Two BtLN212D2s on (two 2.5ks)***update now on four IA 20.1s at .175 ohms each
    (Four XS D1400s)***update now eight XS D1400s
    Mechman 270
    Lots of mids n highs

4. Thanks Chromatic thanked for this post
    audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Id look at a Dayton 10 HO,or an SSA G-Con for a single sub in that car will sound very nice.Even a Type r would do nicely.

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

6. Thanks Chromatic thanked for this post
    Likes Chromatic liked this post
    Chromatic is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loudmp5 View Post
    You need to understand that 1 box can be the same specs as another but 1 is designed better than the other will sound better... if that makes since you need to stop and research more all your qs have answers asked a billion times and with the sub size thing your just wrong period RESEARCH
    I'm not an idiot. I understand more than I "act" like I do with these questions. If this thread, or I somehow seem to inflame you,.. then just ignore and don't read them.
    I AM researching while I'm doing this.. I find anecdotal reports from people on enthusiast forums (such as this) to be some of the best information and most reliable if you can sift through the personalities and avoid drama.

I'm a low drama guy.. So Loudmp5, Thank you for your criticism and thoughts.

Have a great Christmas!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclerico83 View Post
    they are not pre fabed boxes my man but yes zen makes ok enclosures but srq blows them away. he makes every box himself to order
    Nissan 350z Vehicle Specific Sub Enclosure 1-10"
    Nissan 350Z Vehicle Specific Sub Enclosure 2 10"

any of the boxes can be made in 8 or 10 inch. give them a call
    You sir, are THE man! You found a CUSTOM box to go in the "hidden" cubby behind the drivers seat for $100 -- THANK YOU. I will definitely be going into the (it's called the "Glove box".. but it's behind the seat.

Thing I have to watch for is depth. The maximum depth of the custom fit box for that slot behind the drivers seat you linked is 5.25 Feet. And, for instance the JL 10" W0 (and maybe W1 as well) are 5.375.. slightly too long. So have to be careful about the literal depth size of the sub I choose.

I think behind the seat going with a solid quality 8" sub and putting 250-300 watts RMS on it should be nice. This thing, I can tell, is built to fit the compartment perfectly.. no gaps, etc. I couldn't ask for a better solution. This is absolutely what I will use. Cost is great.

I would either do he single 10 in the compartment behind the seat with
    w/ SD 2 10D4 Sundown Audio Slim Mount 10" Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer Shallow Series Sub | eBay

or
    single 8
    Sundown Audio E8 v.3 D2 Dual 2 Ohm

the other option is the dual 10 enclosure with
    Boston Acoustics G310-44 Component Car Subwoofers at Onlinecarstereo.com

w a Boston Acoustics US)

this is the route i would go for under 300 bucks you get the custom box with a g3 sub and passive radiator which will give you accurate bass response and will get low in a small enclosure. set the radiator at 30hz
    Would you look for a 10" that had 5.25 or less mounting depth or go with a 'higher end' 8 inch sub ? I'll buy more sub (given I'm spending the same money on the 8 or 10) if I go 8, sheerly because 8's are a tiny bit cheaper than 10's.. and the amperage is usually less as well. I'm not talking JL W6 here.. but Maybe up to a W2-3 ish series instead of W0-W1 (for reference) - I'm not locked on JL audio.. I just know I won't be dissapointed with a JL sub from experience.

Again, super super awesome reference and find with that custom box for $100.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Awesome posts guys.. this stuff is really helping me. Both amps are perfect for my application -- You say you'd go with CT sounds.. I certainly like the price,.. is CT sounds = to Alpine or other midrange amps in quality? Just curious.

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chromatic View Post
    Awesome posts guys.. this stuff is really helping me. Both amps are perfect for my application -- You say you'd go with CT sounds.. I certainly like the price,.. is CT sounds = to Alpine or other midrange amps in quality? Just curious.
    Yes CT sounds makes solid amplifiers and you won't have any issues with them vs the alpine in terms of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

11. Thanks Chromatic thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes CT sounds makes solid amplifiers and you won't have any issues with them vs the alpine in terms of quality.

JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

13. Thanks Chromatic thanked for this post
    Likes Chromatic liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    Excellent. This is coming together nicely! Money is working.. and I've pretty much sorted my setup. Let's see if it needs any tweaking.

Doors/Front Speaker/Stage = CDT CL-61-CV 6.5" Mids with the .75" Tweeters going in the Window Sail panels (Both are factory size, and will replace factory speakers directly.) -- The high mounted tweeters should bring up the sound stage well. Speakers are 100 Watts RMS a piece. $180

Cl-61cv - CDT Audio 6.5" Convertible Coaxial Component Speaker System | WoofersEtc

Head Unit = Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/AVH-P4100DVD (Already installed).

Sub box = Custom Built box that fits exactly in the Factory slot where the Factory sub would go.
    $100

Sub = JL Audio 10w0 (75-300 Watts RMS) JL's "optimal" range on their website is around 220-250 watts RMS. $110

The alternative here is an 8 Inch Sub.

This brings back the 8 or 10" argument. Money is going to be $100-$130 on sub regardless of which size. So if that budget on sub helps you give me a reason to go with one size over the other.. please do.

JL Audio 10W0v3-4 W0v3 Series 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Amp: CT Sounds - 4 Channel, 125watt RMS x 2 (for 100watt fronts).. and 380watts RMS (Bridged and stable at 4 ohms) for Sub. $225

Ct Sounds 125 4 Amp Amplifier 125W RMS 250W Max Class A B 4 Channel 2 Ohm | eBay

Given I have Headunit already -- that saves $500+ ... The total for those components comes to $615.

Not bad for that setup imho. Of course factor in Wiring kit/fuse box, miscellanous.

What do you think?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Just looking through a re-seller site.. and This MB Quart amp looks really nice.

MB Quart OA800.4 800W Max Onyx Series Stereo Power Amplifier

100watts x 4 at 4 ohms.. Can bridge 2 channels for 400 Watts at 4 ohms. This is more power for half the money of the CT Sounds amp.

I have no clue if MB Quart amps are any good.. their speakers are great, but this doesn't necessarily mean it translates to their amps.

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Just looking through a re-seller site.. and This MB Quart amp looks really nice.

100watts x 4 at 4 ohms.. Can bridge 2 channels for 400 Watts at 4 ohms. This is more power for half the money of the CT Sounds amp.

I have no clue if MB Quart amps are any good.. their speakers are great, but this doesn't necessarily mean it translates to their amps.
    Get the sundown SD 10 in that box. It was designed exactly for those boxes

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Gcon DVC4 ohm 10

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

juanmgarza26 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i second the dayton HO you wont be upset

bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

That's not a good choice. MB Quart is owned by Maxxsonics (which owns Hifonics) and while their products are reasonable quality, they are not what they used to be. I can't say for sure that the Quart amp won't do rated but if I had the chance to see one put on an amp dyno I would place my bets on it not doing rated. Not to mention the other specs on those amps do not speak to high sound quality.

As for the CT Sounds amp, it's going to do more than rated. I've tested it against a Diamond Audio D5 600.4 and it's remarkably stronger with equal sound quality.

Also, if you do buy it do it soon because they will not be on ebay much longer and if you have to buy from a dealer, you won't get the same price.

I know that because I'm a CT Sounds dealer. ;-)

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Excellent. This is coming together nicely! Money is working.. and I've pretty much sorted my setup. Let's see if it needs any tweaking.

Doors/Front Speaker/Stage = CDT CL-61-CV 6.5" Mids with the .75" Tweeters going in the Window Sail panels (Both are factory size, and will replace factory speakers directly.) -- The high mounted tweeters should bring up the sound stage well. Speakers are 100 Watts RMS a piece. $180

Cl-61cv - CDT Audio 6.5" Convertible Coaxial Component Speaker System | WoofersEtc

Head Unit = Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD AVH-P4100DVD - In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver with 7" Widescreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA (Already installed).

Sub box = Custom Built box that fits exactly in the Factory slot where the Factory sub would go.
    $100

Sub = JL Audio 10w0 (75-300 Watts RMS) JL's "optimal" range on their website is around 220-250 watts RMS. $110

The alternative here is an 8 Inch Sub.

This brings back the 8 or 10" argument. Money is going to be $100-$130 on sub regardless of which size. So if that budget on sub helps you give me a reason to go with one size over the other.. please do.

JL Audio 10W0v3-4 W0v3 Series 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Amp: CT Sounds - 4 Channel, 125watt RMS x 2 (for 100watt fronts).. and 380watts RMS (Bridged and stable at 4 ohms) for Sub. $225

Ct Sounds 125 4 Amp Amplifier 125W RMS 250W Max Class A B 4 Channel 2 Ohm | eBay

Given I have Headunit already -- that saves $500+ ... The total for those components comes to $615.

Not bad for that setup imho. Of course factor in Wiring kit/fuse box, miscellanous.

What do you think?
    Not bad, please get the dayton Ho10 for your subwoofer though. Much higher quality than the JL, that's no knock against the JL, but that dayton is an absolute steal at 130 for SQ purposes. It will have a much better sound overall. It uses high technology than the JL driver, even JL's more expensive options don't use shorting rings, which really limits their top end ability. If you want a sub that can play rock or any kind of drum beats well, go with the dayton. The SD-2 is a good choice as well, but I'd take the dayton first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast