+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: been away 3 years - what did i miss / whats the new sound deadner to use ?

brian84corvette is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

been away 3 years - what did i miss / whats the new sound deadner to use ?

yep.
    sold my last big system car a few years ago and have finaly got the bug again. lucky i kept most of my equipment ( altho i doubt my 3 wheel chair batterys still hold much resting voltage still ive got the bug again
    so whats new / did i miss ?

id like to build the best system yet - and need to start poking around looking for the proper sound deadning to use. in my younger years i was not oposed to peal and seal. yes i know its awfull and doesnt stick well - and eventually slides down from where ever it was put - so im not using that again - but what is the new hot afordable sound deadning material i should be looking at ?
    idealy i would like to cover alot of my back seat area as well as the rear deck.
    my car is a 74 monte carlo. made of heavy thick steel so the doors are most likely fine and id like to leave the roof alone for now ( my headliner is still realley nice )
    as a side note - im having a baby in a week or 2 so whatever sound deadning material i use can not have that "smell" to it. my baby wont have to ride in my car much but id like to keep everything clean and sanitary. my sub amp will also be wired to an on off switch for the remote wire so i dont want to hear any grief about bass and infants. lol im not that guy

i hope someone finaly came out with a good budget sound deadner. i remember a few years ago it was just as expensive as all heck still.

brians ghetto burb of amazing and cheap and loud build log
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/604559-get-loud-cheap-ghetto-blaster-burb.html

Shroomic is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: been away 3 years - what did i miss / whats the new sound deadner to use ?

Audio Technix, Alphadamp, and I'd like to try the Q-mat from audioque. I believe these are the more reliable brands that are relatively cheap. Bulk deals are the best way for a deal

SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Avoid AudioTechnix.. AlphaDamp is too expensive..

For the price, I'd check out MurderMat.

The thickest I've seen so far is KnuKonceptz Kolossus. It's 100 mils thick and nearly a pound per square foot. It's not too expensive, either.

Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

Find us on Facebook!

4. Thanks Shroomic thanked for this post
    Knowmadic is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post

The thickest I've seen so far is KnuKonceptz Kolossus. It's 100 mils thick and nearly a pound per square foot. It's not too expensive, either.
    What do you have against AudioTechnix? I've personally never used it, just curious.

*Build in Progress*
    '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Headunit: Alpine CDE-136BT
    Front: JBL MS-62c
    Rear: None
    Sub: Sundown X-15
    Amps: Sundown 1200d , Searching for a 2-Chan
    Wiring: Knu Krystal Kables, Knu 0ga

whitedragon551 is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

If AlphaDamp is too expensive then there is always Damp Pro.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knowmadic View Post
    What do you have against AudioTechnix? I've personally never used it, just curious.
    It's flimsy and doesn't add much rigidity.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    If AlphaDamp is too expensive then there is always Damp Pro.
    Another good one from what I've heard. I only recommended deadeners that I have personal experience with.

Find us on Facebook!

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

AudioTechnix did wonders for my trunk, roof, doors, and rear deck and it's dirt cheap. No complaints. There are more effective ways to deaden, but if you're on a budget it gets the job done.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

It's flimsy and doesn't add much rigidity.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Another good one from what I've heard. I only recommended deadeners that I have personal experience with.
    My roof used to flex and rattle terribly. Made a HUGE difference. Just knocking on the metal you can tell a big difference. You get a solid "thunk" instead of the higher pitched "tink". It added mass, lowered the resonant frequency of the metal, and the result is a panel that takes more energy to vibrate. In other words, it did its job.

Pioneer 80prs

Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used Dynamat without knowing much about it and it is among the lightest and most effective with decent bass response. Top 3 for dampening and bass response are supposed to be SDS tiles, Murdermat MDK, and Knu kol (this last it is not quite 100 mil as claimed more like 70 Mil but good product)

Then you have Dynamat, Second Skin, Alpha Damp, all extremely similar, just one is lighter than the others. Second Skin and A D are very clean to work with and easy to remove if you take your time doing it and not leaving anything behind. Personally I like non asphalt based like the ones mentioned because at higher temperatures the asphalt based materials fail to get the same response and loose dampening abilities.

Will you be interested in blocking road noise and wind from the doors too? Sound deadener CLD type only improves mid bass dampen vibrations resonances and rattles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    My roof used to flex and rattle terribly. Made a HUGE difference. Just knocking on the metal you can tell a big difference. You get a solid "thunk" instead of the higher pitched "tink". It added mass, lowered the resonant frequency of the metal, and the result is a panel that takes more energy to vibrate. In other words, it did its job.
    You know just as well as anyone else that CLD tiles are to stiffen a panel and prevent vibrations, not to add mass

Find us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

You know just as well as anyone else that CLD tiles are to stiffen a panel and prevent vibrations, not to add mass
    Honestly, I didn't/don't LOL. I never really got into the science of deadening. But I'm not an sq snob either. So I did a quick read... I see now that decreasing the res frequency is a job for mlv. Cld is to dampen. But anyways, it does not change the fact that you're being a bit harsh... For cheap deadener the AT did pretty decent. I got results, and the results came cheap. I sure as hell am not spending a grand on deadening.

Pioneer 80prs

13. Likes momofx liked this post
    Tbsh is offline Hai.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As mentioned before, the MurderMat is some good stuff with a lower price tag. Also, since you live in Florida you will get it the day after it ships

Eclipse 8053, SSA Xcon 18, DC 2k, MurderMat & SHCA wiring.
    Sold to: havieri23, akheathen
    Bought from: 09Civic(x2), SounDrive, shiipseki

moneypit is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cant help. Im getting back into the game myself. Last time i had a system it was with brand new rockfords that where black with red and white lettering and had end caps. :0

99 S10 ext cab
    H.U kenwood 997
    Amp#1 J.L 400/4
    Front Infinity 4x6 plates (462.11)
    Doors Kenwood 6.5"
    Amp#2 Rockford 1500.1
    Subs- 2 sundown sa 12
    Big 3 with 1/0
    1/0 ran to extra battery in bed
    1000 cca ever start maxx battery in bed of truck

momofx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

[QUOTE=av83;8519222]Honestly, I didn't/don't LOL. I never really got into the science of deadening. But I'm not an sq snob either. So I did a quick read... I see now that decreasing the res frequency is a job for mlv. Cld is to dampen. But anyways, it does not change the fact that you're being a bit harsh... For cheap deadener the AT did pretty decent. I got results, and the results came cheap. I sure as hell am not spending a grand on deadening.[/QUOTE]

x2 made a big difference in reducing my roof flex with the AT 80mil. For the price, I am certainly happy with it and its holding up pretty well with 154 dB.

However, if there is any other product you guys have proof that does better at the same price, let me know! Its always a learning game!

supereikenator is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From ones I've seen in person, Dynamat is great, and Q-Mat is awesome too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast