+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: New to car audio, looking for recommendations.

BlackHawk41042 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

New to car audio, looking for recommendations.

I am completely new to car audio. A friend of mine has subs in his car and about a month ago I ended up getting some subwoofers and an amp. I originally got a Boss Audio 1000w mono amp, along with 2 12 inch dual subs in a bandpass enclosure mainly because it was all cheap to start out with and I hated how the enclosure sounded. It overall had decent quality with low notes but wouldnt hit the highs right so I went out and got a 15" MTX Thunder 6000 in a ported box which sounded much better than the duals in the bandpass. I am now looking to get a new amp and subs and I need a few opinions from people more knowledgeable in the subject than I am. I am not sure If I want to get 2 12" subs in a sealed box because I feel the one 15" has too much trouble hitting multiple notes at once (such as punch notes on top of a constant low hit) and I thought a couple 12's would be able to hit multiple notes fine and have the best sound quality in a sealed box. Another option I was considering was getting a higher quality 15" subwoofer such as the fi Q 15 thinking it may have have better quality while hitting multiple notes but the problem with the latter is I heard that specific sub should be in a fairly large enclosure that I'm not sure if I could fit in the trunk of my 97 honda accord. So overall I would like opinions on multiple mid quality 12 inch subs VS one high quality 15"

moneypit is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New to car audio, looking for recommendations.

Budget?

99 S10 ext cab
    H.U kenwood 997
    Amp#1 J.L 400/4
    Front Infinity 4x6 plates (462.11)
    Doors Kenwood 6.5"
    Amp#2 Rockford 1500.1
    Subs- 2 sundown sa 12
    Big 3 with 1/0
    1/0 ran to extra battery in bed
    1000 cca ever start maxx battery in bed of truck

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Trying not to go over $400 on a sub/subs, $200 on an amp

Edit* I'm also using a pioneer deh 6400BT deck

jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk41042 View Post
    Trying not to go over $400 on a sub/subs, $200 on an amp

Edit* I'm also using a pioneer deh 6400BT deck
    switch that budget around man, 400 on amp and 200 on a sub and enclosure sounds much better. The sound you want is all based on your enclosure design and getting good amounts of clean power will definitely improve the sound quality also compared to cheapo amps.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.

Subs : SSA Zcon 12 in a 3.25 cube tuned to 33
    Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D
    Mids/Highs: PPI ION 520.4 - bought from trumpet
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front stage: Phd FB 6.1 6.5 mids with jbl ms-62c tweets and crossovers on 130 rms each.
    singler 180 amp alt with kinetik hc1800 under the hood and 2 hc 2400 in the trunk.

5. Thanks av83 thanked for this post
    Likes DoesDad, macsdad liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Would you be able to make a few recommendations on an amp, sub and enclosure. The enclsoure especially because I don't understand how to find the right enclosure for a sub.

mylows10 is online now Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

Xfl 12 custom box and a vfl 1000 should keep you clise to your budget. And new If you buy used you can get more for your money

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

8. Likes sjv13 liked this post
    DoesDad is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I'd have the enclosure custom made by someone on here. Maybe Dustin aka pro-rabbit, Buck, etc. Depending what you get it should be around 150-200 for a decent enclosure. As far as an amp and sub/subs combo for around 400 bucks I'd go with a single 15, and decent 1000 watt rms mono amp. That way you won't be upgrading your electrical right away (which gets expensive) and 600-1000 watts with a decent enclosure, amp and sub will be plenty loud! At least for a while. Then the sickness takes over. You get used to it and upgrade. Then you get used to it and upgrade. Then you get used to it and upgrade! LOL! As far as brands there's too many too mention. Do some research or start a thread with your goals you want out of the equipment.

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

How high are you expecting your subs to play? You may want to update/upgrade your components that can handle the midbass better and it should fix what issues you have.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

sjv13 is offline StayStrange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

@BlackHawk41042 ; I'd take a look at what @mylows10 ; can get you as far as the sub and an amp. Then talk to @double07; as far as getting a custom built enclosure. They really aren't as expensive to get built and shipped to you as you might think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    @BlackHawk41042 ; I'd take a look at what @mylows10 ; can get you as far as the sub and an amp. Then talk to @double07; as far as getting a custom built enclosure. They really aren't as expensive to get built and shipped to you as you might think.
    Thanks man I can set up the box build with Brian as well op

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for your input but I'm still at a loss of what I should get theres so many different brands and models of subwoofers I can't even name them all. I didn't know the sound quality relied so much on the enclosure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for your input but I'm still at a loss of what I should get theres so many different brands and models of subwoofers I can't even name them all. I didn't know the sound quality relied so much on the enclosure.
    The install and enclosure is the main and most important part of your system Ok. What are your goals here. Type of music you listen ? This is the tech / discussion area so we can't give prices. Just recommendations But the system I recommended Is a good place to start
    You can pm me if you like and I can breK everything down for you with prices if you wish

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I Listen to literally all kinds of music so I want some subs that would hit a fairly large range of notes. I am pleased with how my 15" sounds but I was thinking about a 12" because I heard they were the best size for hitting highs and lows, but if I were to get 12" subs I think I would get two because I feel my one 15" has trouble hitting multiple notes at once. I am slightly unsure about getting 12's because I like having a 15" overall, do you think a higher quality 15 could hit multiple notes better than my current one or would I have to get 2 subs?

bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I Listen to literally all kinds of music so I want some subs that would hit a fairly large range of notes. I am pleased with how my 15" sounds but I was thinking about a 12" because I heard they were the best size for hitting highs and lows, but if I were to get 12" subs I think I would get two because I feel my one 15" has trouble hitting multiple notes at once. I am slightly unsure about getting 12's because I like having a 15" overall, do you think a higher quality 15 could hit multiple notes better than my current one or would I have to get 2 subs?

Driver size has nothing to do with sound quality. As was mentioned, the most important thing is the enclosure. Add to that... then the amp and then the sub... with one caveat and that is provided that the sub isn't complete junk. Pyramid comes to mind, lol.

If it were me, I'd be concentrating on buying a good quality amp, then a good quality sub and lastly, building (or having built) the correct enclosure for that sub.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    Driver size has nothing to do with sound quality. As was mentioned, the most important thing is the enclosure. Add to that... then the amp and then the sub... with one caveat and that is provided that the sub isn't complete junk. Pyramid comes to mind, lol.

If it were me, I'd be concentrating on buying a good quality amp, then a good quality sub and lastly, building (or having built) the correct enclosure for that sub.
    Well said

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast