+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: can I use only a power amp and just skip the head unit??

pepperdas is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon6 can I use only a power amp and just skip the head unit??

Hi,

I recently purchased a nice cadillac that's about 10 years old. I have both an android phone and tablet that I use to listen to music and for my navigation. I have the stock cadillac double din head unit in my car, which to me right now is utterly useless, as it DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A stereo, eighth-inch LINE IN! I was thinking of purchasing an app radio to sync with my devices, but then...

Why do I even need a head unit at all? can I just put a power amp in the slot where my head unit was, with a stereo line in to that?

Is this a crazy idea? I have a similar set up with my computer at home, and I love it.

jeffdachef is online now I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Re: can I use only a power amp and just skip the head unit??

a lot of people do in dash android or ipad builds its possible

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

pepperdas is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

are there any poweramps that fit in a double din slot?

jeffdachef is online now I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

there are but options are extremely limited and even if it does fit through the hole, there's no way to secure it. Its best if you do a custom fit fiberglass baffle for it for looks or leave everything stock and just have a mounting bracket on top of your stock head unit then install the amp in a secure place under the seat or somewhere hidden and secure. Your going to need a quality line driver that also has a signal processor($$$$) because using the tablet straight up will lose a lot of sound quality and have a lot of noise with dirty and weak signal. All in all, its going to take a lot of money to do it properly, you could save yourself the hassle and just get a decent head unit, it'll be cheaper, sound better and involve 0 custom work.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

naughtyca is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I agree, until the market creates a dash kit for 7inch tablets and 10 inch tablets the best way to go is still a head unit and blue tooth from your device. I hope somebody makes the dash kit for tablets, it would be awesome to have a tablet with a sim card and make it a dash mount.

+ Reply to Thread