+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Just got all my gear in! Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Bass Face84 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just got all my gear in! Thanks for all the help guys!!!

UPDATE
    Got everything installed and all I can say is WOW. The JBL's sound AMAZING! I deadened the crap out the doors, sealed up almost all the excess holes in the door and used the foam to seal up gasket. The Midbass is amazing and the tweeters just blow me away. So detailed and crisp yet not harsh. They have 3 settings, 0db, -3db, and -6db. I found for me the best setting is -3db. The BA amp I have the gains set about 1/3 the way up and sends so much clean power. Crystal clear sound and LOUD. The 80PRS is amazing too. The T/A feature really let me get the imaging perfect. Could not be happier. Even the rear fill JBL coaxils sound good. Can't wait to get some subs. That's my next move!

Just wanna say thanks to all the guys who helped me in my decisions as to what to get for the first part of my system. Got it all in today and I'm going to spend the rest of the night installing it most likely won't finish though. Anyhow the vehicle is a 07 Jeep Liberty SUV. My goal was to build a great sq budget system and you guys helped me. Here is what I went with.

HU= Pioneer DEH-80PRS, $335 including wire harness, dash kit, antenna adapter

Front Stage= JBL MS-62C 6.5" comp set, $218.99

Front Stage Amp= Boston Acoustics GT2200, $189 ( 200 X 2 RMS, wanted head room, will be careful on gains)

Rear Fill= JBL GTO628 coaxils ( will run off HU rear channels ) $55

Amp Wire Kit= Belva BAK42 4 gauge kit with rca's, $36.99

I also bought 40 sq ft of NVX sound dampening material to do entire car ( plan on adding subs later so I'm gonna go ahead and do the entire vehicle. I also plan on sealing up the holes in the door and using foam to make a gasket like Trumpet recommended.

I think for just under $1000 this is a pretty good budget system. HU, Comp set, Coaxisl. Amp, amp kit, sound dampening material.

Will let you guys know how it turns out, very excited and thanks so much for the help guys. Will be looking to add subs, amp and box in about a month or so.
    Last edited by Bass Face84; 09-28-2013 at 01:12 AM.

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Just got all my gear in! Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Congrats bud. Looks like a pretty sweet system there. I would focus the majority of that sound deadener application to your front doors since the MS comps will receive the biggest benefit from good application of deadener. As for the foam around the surround, here's an idea for the sealing Trumpet was talking about:

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

3. Thanks Bass Face84 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Congrats bud. Looks like a pretty sweet system there. I would focus the majority of that sound deadener application to your front doors since the MS comps will receive the biggest benefit from good application of deadener. As for the foam around the surround, here's an idea for the sealing Trumpet was talking about:

Thanks for the images. So you used foam spray stuff around the edge of the outer speaker ring to the door panel then deadened around it? Also did you use anything else besides the dampener and foam? Like butyl rubber weather strips or anything? And inside the door where the mid goes in did you do anything there with foam or just deaden on the back door panel?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The foam, what exactly do I need to buy? What's it called, the brand and how much should I get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Face84 View Post
    Thanks for the images. So you used foam spray stuff around the edge of the outer speaker ring to the door panel then deadened around it? Also did you use anything else besides the dampener and foam? Like butyl rubber weather strips or anything? And inside the door where the mid goes in did you do anything there with foam or just deaden on the back door panel?
    I used these three items for esssentially everything:

1. CLD - I had 10sqft of AudioTechnix that I got in a giveaway as well as a bunch of Second Skin Damplifier Pro. The Damp Pro is head and shoulders better in quality. The top layer of that AT is actually plastic. Here's what happens when it sits around for a while (this is under my rear bench):

That clear part is where the butyl started sagging and separating underneath, leaving the plastic on top

2. High Density Foam Weatherstripping - Found at any hardware store and used for going between the underside of the basket and the mounting surface and decouples the speaker from the baffle. Holds its shape really well

3. Sponge Rubber Weatherstripping - Found at any hardware store. Use enough layers to reach your door card plus just a little. It will compress with the door card attached and keep your midbass from leaking all over the inside of your door card

Doing #2 and #3 were probably the biggest, most immediately noticeable improvements, so if you're on a severe budget, those would be the first steps I'd take. As for the CLD, I've already shown you why I would NOT recommend AT. It does not hold up to the heat nearly as well as they claim. I had strings upon strings of stray CLD when I pulled my door card off to do Step #3 this week. The Damplifier Pro, however, is AMAZING. @Vertex Audio ; can help you with ordering some of that.

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8

7. Thanks Bass Face84 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I am going to wait until tmrw to install. My buddy is going to come over and help me who used to do installs for cartoys. Also I have the day off and need to figure out what all tools, and foam stuff I need to buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The foam, what exactly do I need to buy? What's it called, the brand and how much should I get?
    The sponge rubber came in 10ft rolls and I used the 3/8" width. Let me see if I can find you some links on Home Depot's website

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1

10. Thanks Bass Face84 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The NVX is suppossed to be pretty good from what I hear. Going to use a bunch of it but I want to do the other stuff as well. I want to get the absolute most out of my speakers and I know it's all in the install. From what I read the JBL MS's are pretty good so I figure with a GREAT install they should sound fantastic. I want to do it right the first time and want my setup to last for yrs to come. This is gonna be a project I can tell. Should be hard, frustrating, rewarding and fun all at the same time! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The NVX is suppossed to be pretty good from what I hear. Going to use a bunch of it but I want to do the other stuff as well. I want to get the absolute most out of my speakers and I know it's all in the install. From what I read the JBL MS's are pretty good so I figure with a GREAT install they should sound fantastic. I want to do it right the first time and want my setup to last for yrs to come. This is gonna be a project I can tell. Should be hard, frustrating, rewarding and fun all at the same time! lol
    The beauty of the MS comps is how forgiving the tweeters are of a less-than-perfect install. Take Focal, for example. Give them a less than optimal install and what are you going to hear? Sibilance and lots of it. I'll even stick my neck out there and say that the MS tweets have been some of the smoothest metal domes I've run so far and the heft and construction will reinforce that.

Btw, found the weatherstripping on the Home Depot's site:

Frost King E/O 3/8 in. x 5/16 in. x 10 ft. Black High-Density Rubber Foam Weather Stripping-R538H at The Home Depot
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Buildi...6#.UkNti4Z_79M

**EDIT*** Fixed the second link

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    The beauty of the MS comps is how forgiving the tweeters are of a less-than-perfect install. Take Focal, for example. Give them a less than optimal install and what are you going to hear? Sibilance and lots of it. I'll even stick my neck out there and say that the MS tweets have been some of the smoothest metal domes I've run so far and the heft and construction will reinforce that.

Btw, found the weatherstripping on the Home Depot's site:

Frost King E/O 3/8 in. x 5/16 in. x 10 ft. Black High-Density Rubber Foam Weather Stripping-R538H at The Home Depot
    MD Building Products 1/2 in. x 10 ft. Gray High-Density PVC Foam Weatherstrip Tape-02311 at The Home Depot

**EDIT*** Fixed the second link
    Thanks so much for the help man, really appreciate it. I'm going to go to Home Depot and get that right now. Anything else I will end up needing? I have basic tools, wrech set, screwdrivers, etc...

Also I'm really glad to hear about the MS tweets. Trumpet talked me into getting them actually after I described what my music taste and what I like is. The best speakers I ever heard were Focal Polykevs so I'm feeling really good about my purchase. Wish I would have waited 1 day though and bought from Trumpet. He is authorized and offered me a good deal and was very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Thanks so much for the help man, really appreciate it. I'm going to go to Home Depot and get that right now. Anything else I will end up needing? I have basic tools, wrech set, screwdrivers, etc...

Also I'm really glad to hear about the MS tweets. Trumpet talked me into getting them actually after I described what my music taste and what I like is. The best speakers I ever heard were Focal Polykevs so I'm feeling really good about my purchase. Wish I would have waited 1 day though and bought from Trumpet. He is authorized and offered me a good deal and was very helpful.
    Yep, trumpet is good people and definitely just as passionate about car audio as he comes across. The only other thing I'd recommend you get are some unique kind of screws to attach your equipment to deter theft. If you use Phillip's head screws, pretty much anyone can rip them out. Use boxhead screws or torx and they'll have a field day trying to get them out and eventually give up. Otherwise, foam tape if they have it for securing down wire runs, especially if you get that midbass you're looking for and tin snips for cutting the deadener to save your hands and utility knife blades some stress. But it sounds like you're gtg man!

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1

+ Reply to Thread