Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Been out of the loop for a while

ScottyTooHotty is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Been out of the loop for a while

Ok so I haven't done or kept up with car audio at all for the past 6 years maybe. I do know a decent amount about what I need to know. To give a little background my past two systems were as follows:

1st
    mtx 1501d,mtx9512,P4S Snailshell, optima yellow, big 3 0gauge, audiocontrol overdriver

2nd
    hifonics xx-colossus, 4 12"L7s, 12.4cu ft. tuned to 36hz, optima yellow, kinetic hc2400, 0 gauge all over, ac overdrive

Did everything myself except the box on the first system. Both were fun, needed something more than the single 12 so I went all out, then I had way too much sound with way too little trunk space.

Had them both in a '97 explorer sport w/viper 791xv alarm

Also had 2 18" 05 xxx's but never got to install them . I always wanted to hear them, but ran out of funding.

I'm looking to build a system in the next 6-8 months for a 2003 VW Passat 1.8T. I'm just getting some ideas, because I don't know which way I want to go as far as performance. I enjoy it loud, but not rediculous, and SQ is a must. My L7s were louder than a jet plane, but SQ was pretty weak, peaked too high (box i know). I know a 9512 (mtx) wouldn't be enough for what I want. I was thinking about two 05 xxx 12s with about 2400w. At the same time, I feel like I am getting too loud at that level, figure I don't need to spend that much but at the same time I'd like to have a great SQL setup.

Budget doesn't matter too much. Wouldn't want to spend more than 1600-2000 on the total setup, excluding alarm.

Basically I was wanting some quick answers on good SQL subs that will get loud, but stay clean. Someone 6 years ago recommended IDmax subs, but never looked into them too much.

I've searched all over for subs in the classifieds, but don't know what I'm really looking for anymore.

That's the situation, sorry for the lack of knowledge and staying up to date. Appreciate any help.

ScottyTooHotty is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Been out of the loop for a while

And I totally forgot about h/o alternators. i had an iraggi alternator before, went bad after 5 months, was very disappointed... i would consider going with one again based on the fact when it worked, it worked really well, no voltage issues whatsoever. I guess i forgot to calculate that object into the cost.

jar1zx is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Been out of the loop for a while

DC makes a good alt.

05 gmc sierra 1500hd quad cab
    Hu pioneer avh-x8500bhs
    Front and rear stage fosgate power two sets t1652-s.
    PPI PC 450..and Audio Art 2100
    Kicker kx2500.1
    One run of stinger 0 gauge with big 3, stinger volt meter ,red top under hood for now
    2 Sundown sd-2 4ohm tens in .8 each sealed
    AppRadio Extensions on Iphone5
    Dc 270xp DC dual alt bracket

Closed Thread