Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A Couple of System Questions

Hey, I'm new to car audio and I'm sure you guys get 100's of these types of threads...but I have a couple of questions about whether or not what I have chosen for my system is best...I know it's mostly preference about what is "best" but hopefully you can see if I have any obvious problems...like mismatching ohms on my amps and subs...take in mind this is all going into an extended cab ranger so space is limited...I'd like to have room for 1 guy in the back when everything is done...

Head Unit: Alpine 9813
    4ch AMP: Memphis Audio 16-MC2004
    Front Components: RE Components (when they come out...)
    Rear Coaxials: Polk MOMO MMC570s
    Mono AMP: Memphis 16-MC500D
    Sub: Resonant Engineering SE 12" (only 1)

I guess my biggest questions are:
    1.) Will my system have decent SQ (I listen to screamo type stuff...not too much bass)
    2.) Will my system be able to shake my back window if I want (will it be decently loud)
    3.) The sub has dual 4ohm voice coils and the amp is rated at 500watts @ 2ohm...if I wire the sub in a "series" type setup would it work?
    4.) Would an SE sound better than an HC @ 500watts RMS?
    5.) What would be the biggest thing that you would change?
    6.) Should I fire my sub pointed down to get the best sound quality?
    7.) Should I go sealed over ported? keep in mind space is limited and SQ is key...I don't need to dance pennies on the top of my roof......I could go ported though if it really made that much of a difference for this sub...

Heh, sorry for so many questions but I want to start enjoying my music now rather than just listen to it if you understand what I mean...I plan to put all this stuff in as I buy it and I know being a novice I could light my car on fire...heh...but that's what this forum is for...thanks for taking the time...

- Lost Cause

kickerlivinloud is offline Banning survivor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: A Couple of System Questions

3.) The sub has dual 4ohm voice coils and the amp is rated at 500watts @ 2ohm...if I wire the sub in a "series" type setup would it work?
    First off you want to wire them in parrelel not series. Series would yeald a 8 ohm resistence while a parrelel wireing would yeald 2 ohms.

7.) Should I go sealed over ported? keep in mind space is limited and SQ is key...I could go ported though if it really made that much of a difference for this sub...
    I would always go ported. If you want SQ just tune very low like low 30's high 20's. What is the cubic footage you have to work with. Like I said if you have the space go ported

Jon

LostCause is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: A Couple of System Questions

Quote Originally Posted by kickerlivinloud
    First off you want to wire them in parrelel not series. Series would yeald a 8 ohm resistence while a parrelel wireing would yeald 2 ohms.
    if I wired them is parallel I'd be fine with that amp right? I really want a Memphis Amp but there is a pretty big wattage gap in the models. The MC500D runs at 500watts at 2ohms and the MC1000D runs at 1100watts @ 1 ohm...I'd like something to run at 600watts RMS to match the RMS rating of the sub...I've heard Memphis amps are rated low and I've also heard RE subs can take a lot of wattage...the SE is maxed out at 1000watts I think and the HC has an RMS of 1000watts (I think)...1000 watts seems like to much bass...so do you think my amp/sub setup is good or would you recommend the HC and/or different amp?

I would always go ported. If you want SQ just tune very low like low 30's high 20's. What is the cubic footage you have to work with. Like I said if you have the space go ported

Jon
    I'm looking at 3 cubic feet or less...but I'd prefer 2-1.5 cubic feet or less...RE recommends 1 cubic foot for a sealed enclosure and something like 1.5 for ported (for the 12" SE)...sealed just sounds so much more appealing due to the fact its easy to build...it's small, and is supposed to have good SQ...if I go ported should I fire my subs down still?

thanks for the info...I have a lot of questions...heh...

- Lost Cause

Closed Thread