calebkhill is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: mounting inverted

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post

Fuck...
    ?.....

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Whether you do it at the head, the amp, or the speaker terminals, it's all the same thing. Being able to do it with a switch on the amplifier is more convenient than rewiring the drivers. Doing it at the head is more convenient than getting out and doing it at the amplifier. Choose one and only one way to do it.

The reason you're doing it is to get the best phase integration between the front stage and the subwoofer.

Fuck...
    nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Often times running subs out of phase blends with mids better anyway. I never even pay attention to phase going into my woofers and typically test on the HU and go with whichever blends best.
    me too lol.. i pretty much always have the phase on my HU on reverse, sounds better for some reason

garretttt4 is offline big pimpin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Whether you do it at the head, the amp, or the speaker terminals, it's all the same thing. Being able to do it with a switch on the amplifier is more convenient than rewiring the drivers. Doing it at the head is more convenient than getting out and doing it at the amplifier. Choose one and only one way to do it.

The reason you're doing it is to get the best phase integration between the front stage and the subwoofer.

Fuck...
    So does that mean you can just take the pos and neg speaker wires from the subs and just put the pos wire into neg terminal
    nd then put the neg wire from the subs to the pos terminal on the amp and it'll be good? Right?

01 Silverado 2500hd (gasser. :/)
    Coming soon
    Four custom mmats juggernaut 12's.
    Amp undecided..?

Bought from: Jayzbent, mylows10, logan527, Timmy13091, wingsfreak9, Underfire
    Traded with: mylows10(x2), knowmadic
    Sold to: 03silverado03, foomanchu, heel4lyfe, Timmy13091, wErd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garretttt4 View Post
    So does that mean you can just take the pos and neg speaker wires from the subs and just put the pos wire into neg terminal
    nd then put the neg wire from the subs to the pos terminal on the amp and it'll be good? Right?
    yup

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

garretttt4 is offline big pimpin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebkhill View Post
    yup
    Sweet! Thanks!

01 Silverado 2500hd (gasser. :/)
    Coming soon
    Four custom mmats juggernaut 12's.
    Amp undecided..?

Bought from: Jayzbent, mylows10, logan527, Timmy13091, wingsfreak9, Underfire
    Traded with: mylows10(x2), knowmadic
    Sold to: 03silverado03, foomanchu, heel4lyfe, Timmy13091, wErd

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebkhill View Post
    ?.....
    Not really directed toward anyone, just venting. Very frustrating to see two threads on the same topic in one week, whole internet out there, hand full of GUYS can't wrap their head around the concept of why you would need to invert the phase of the driver (wire it backwards) if you take it out and mount it inverted (mount it backwards), let alone what relative phase and absolute phase is. When you pull back and look at the bigger scope of things, it's frustrating. I can understand not knowing at first, but with all the information out there and people explaining it over and over? Scary to think that the future is in these younger hands. Makes me think of the movie Idiocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

And please don't get me wrong. I love you guys. The frustration stems from wanting more from you. You have to challenge yourself. You should be able to wire a Chevelle for a big block and 150's, and then go inside and make a cheesecake and do laundry. Have to get out of spoon feed mode and think for yourself and figure shit out.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

8. Likes 04murdalanche liked this post
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

And please don't get me wrong. I love you guys. The frustration stems from wanting more from you. You have to challenge yourself. You should be able to wire a Chevelle for a big block and 150's, and then go inside and make a cheesecake and do laundry. Have to get out of spoon feed mode and think for yourself and figure shit out.
    I totally agree with you. It's pretty easy to fall into that mode sometimes though. But in general, people need to just do things more often. You will learn the best by trial by fire. Mistakes are the best instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

10. Thanks ciaonzo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Not really directed toward anyone, just venting. Very frustrating to see two threads on the same topic in one week, whole internet out there, hand full of GUYS can't wrap their head around the concept of why you would need to invert the phase of the driver (wire it backwards) if you take it out and mount it inverted (mount it backwards), let alone what relative phase and absolute phase is. When you pull back and look at the bigger scope of things, it's frustrating. I can understand not knowing at first, but with all the information out there and people explaining it over and over? Scary to think that the future is in these younger hands. Makes me think of the movie Idiocracy.
    I feel ya.

12. Thanks ciaonzo thanked for this post
    audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

In laymans terms: when the speaker receives a signal, it either starts cone motion by moving it out, or moving it in (remember, in its unpowered state, the cone is resting centered in its range of motion). If in its currently wired state, the cone starts by moving out, then reversing the speaker wires means the cone will start by moving in. This is why if you invert a speaker, you want to reverse its phase (by any of the means discussed already in this thread), because in essence reversing the mounting position of the speaker means the cone is now starting its initial motion in the opposite direction than it use to. This is most important to understand if you use more than one sub, but only invert one of them.

As others have said already, you often want to have the subs out of phase with the rest of the speakers for blending purposes (poor man's time alignment), so unless you are only inverting some of your subs, or already have them blended properly but then want to invert them all, the sub's absolute phase (how its wired, backwards or not) is less important than what your ears say sounds best.

Hope that helped.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

14. Likes macsdad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

People rely on teh webz too much sometimes. Just read read read. DIYMA is a good place for info. Some good archives on here as well..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In laymans terms: when the speaker receives a signal, it either starts cone motion by moving it out, or moving it in (remember, in its unpowered state, the cone is resting centered in its range of motion). If in its currently wired state, the cone starts by moving out, then reversing the speaker wires means the cone will start by moving in. This is why if you invert a speaker, you want to reverse its phase (by any of the means discussed already in this thread), because in essence reversing the mounting position of the speaker means the cone is now starting its initial motion in the opposite direction than it use to. This is most important to understand if you use more than one sub, but only invert one of them.

As others have said already, you often want to have the subs out of phase with the rest of the speakers for blending purposes (poor man's time alignment), so unless you are only inverting some of your subs, or already have them blended properly but then want to invert them all, the sub's absolute phase (how its wired, backwards or not) is less important than what your ears say sounds best.

Hope that helped.

Perfectly said, its like you copied that out of a book.

skylineTT is offline bass=sekz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Good God, frantic n00bz in this thread. lol C'mon Garret!

As Ciaonzo stated, You only use ONE phase changing method. Either the head unit reversing option, OR the speaker wire switching option, OR the amp phase switch/knob.

Subwoofers move based on a Sinusoid of voltage. It alternates from positive to negative (AC-Alternating Current) so when you change the phase by 180 degrees, you are basically changing the polarity of the voltage (in layman's terms) so that the cone is moving opposite of where it normally would be. This is used in invert mounting so that the cone is still moving the same direction relative to the enclosure.

Refs: Dipitydoo, appollyon, bad95gt, revrider1, jwh1598, ampjunkielikeme, deathpenalty18, ssackett, snoopysnooper, corey0928, SPLAudio, Clifff150, CL1CKCLACK, ShawnT, West + more

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2