Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Reload Thread: Point of oversized wire?

  1. #31
    UnderFire's Avatar
    UnderFire is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OR, 97114
    Posts
    2,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Holy contradiction. Any REAL car audio 1/0 wire = 2/0 wire, is that better? Don't care if it's mislabeled, it will be the size of 2/0 AWG which you just said...
    Basically sums it up right there.

    I don't understand why CA companies don't just sell their stuff as 2/0 TBH.



    97 4runner, 3RZ, 5 Speed

    Headunit: Alpine CDA-9887
    Mids: CDT HD-6CF
    Tweets: CDT DRT-25
    Fronts Amp: Hertz HDP4
    Sub Amp: American Bass VFL150.1
    Substage: 18" SSA ZCON
    Electrical: 160 Amp Alt, Duralast Gold, C&D270FR, 2/0 Throughout




  2. #32
    Gawdzila's Avatar
    Gawdzila is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredVision View Post
    I get that, but the wire that's only making contract is really useful correct? I could have a wire twice the size of a 0 gauge terminal, but trimming half of it away to make it fit defeats the purpose right?
    I have a degree in physics, so I can say with authority that this is not true.

    Total resistance to current flow is just the sum of all the resistances. In the case of a linear resistor like wire, the total resistance is equal to the per-length resistance multiplied by the length of wire. The per-length resistance goes DOWN with larger wire gauge. Thus (using made-up figures for simplicity), if some 18-gauge wire has 0.1 ohm-per-foot resistance and some 4-gauge wire has 0.01 ohm-per-foot resistance, 10ft of 18-gauge will add 1 ohm of resistance and 10ft of 4-gauge wire will add 0.1 ohms of resistance. PERIOD.

    The connector on the end will certainly add it's own resistance, and a larger connection area will result in less added resistance. But just because the connector isn't as large as the cable doesn't remove the low-resistance benefits of a fat cable.




  3. Thanks BlurredVision thanked for this post
  4. #33
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzila View Post
    I have a degree in physics, so I can say with authority that this is not true.

    Total resistance to current flow is just the sum of all the resistances. In the case of a linear resistor like wire, the total resistance is equal to the per-length resistance multiplied by the length of wire. The per-length resistance goes DOWN with larger wire gauge. Thus (using made-up figures for simplicity), if some 18-gauge wire has 0.1 ohm-per-foot resistance and some 4-gauge wire has 0.01 ohm-per-foot resistance, 10ft of 18-gauge will add 1 ohm of resistance and 10ft of 4-gauge wire will add 0.1 ohms of resistance. PERIOD.

    The connector on the end will certainly add it's own resistance, and a larger connection area will result in less added resistance. But just because the connector isn't as large as the cable doesn't remove the low-resistance benefits of a fat cable.
    Sorry but you are wrong, slofocus said it's just marketing. Perhaps you should have gotten a degree in marketing




  5. #34
    TheUnderFighter's Avatar
    TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Murrieta, California, (SoCal)
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Holy contradiction. Any REAL car audio 1/0 wire = 2/0 wire, is that better? Don't care if it's mislabeled, it will be the size of 2/0 AWG which you just said...
    No, because it doesn't HAVE to be 2/0 AWG. SOME of it is as oversized as 2/0, but some is in between, and some is exactly 1/0. It's not a requirement for quality Car Audio 1/0 to be exactly the equivalent of 2/0 AWG. It just so happens that a small number of companies "1/0" wire is actually 2/0/. Some of it is **** near, but not quite that big. Some of it is just in between.



    2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

  6. #35
    Vincer77's Avatar
    Vincer77 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Nashville, TN
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    When monster wire came out several years ago, they made some claim about larger wire transmitting some frequencies better when used as speaker wire. Was this just marketing hype?




  7. #36
    TheUnderFighter's Avatar
    TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Murrieta, California, (SoCal)
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincer77 View Post
    When monster wire came out several years ago, they made some claim about larger wire transmitting some frequencies better when used as speaker wire. Was this just marketing hype?
    Yes.



    2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

  8. #37
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnderFighter View Post
    No, because it doesn't HAVE to be 2/0 AWG. SOME of it is as oversized as 2/0, but some is in between, and some is exactly 1/0. It's not a requirement for quality Car Audio 1/0 to be exactly the equivalent of 2/0 AWG. It just so happens that a small number of companies "1/0" wire is actually 2/0/. Some of it is **** near, but not quite that big. Some of it is just in between.
    Didn't say HAVE, said it WILL. I've 99% of the ca wire out there, and several types of welding. All the better car audio 1/0 is the same size as 2/0 welding and fits 2/0 terminals perfectly.

    We're just splitting hairs now...




  9. #38
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredVision View Post
    I get that, but the wire that's only making contract is really useful correct? I could have a wire twice the size of a 0 gauge terminal, but trimming half of it away to make it fit defeats the purpose right?
    Well instead of cutting strands away I would look into terminal adapters. think of it like this you take a gallon of water n pourt through a straw takes forever take gallon of water pour through 2" pipe moves faster same in electrical less resistance from wire =less voltage drop and lower amp drw since less heat build up




  10. #39
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
    Basically sums it up right there.

    I don't understand why CA companies don't just sell their stuff as 2/0 TBH.
    They would have to have it tested by UL and to list as such and adhee to stricter manufacturing specs then. That cost money




  11. #40
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Staynlean View Post
    omg, some dumb assses itt. Going back to bed
    Whos this newb?




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  12. #41
    TheUnderFighter's Avatar
    TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Murrieta, California, (SoCal)
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    They would have to have it tested by UL and to list as such and adhere to stricter manufacturing specs then. That cost money
    And they don't have to do any of that by listing it as 1/0?



    2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

  13. #42
    audioholic's Avatar
    audioholic is offline Moderator



    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    23,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    Well instead of cutting strands away I would look into terminal adapters. think of it like this you take a gallon of water n pourt through a straw takes forever take gallon of water pour through 2" pipe moves faster same in electrical less resistance from wire =less voltage drop and lower amp drw since less heat build up
    While finding an adapter that keeps you from having to trim away some strands is more ideal, trimming those strands for an inch or two of the wire does not limit over all resistance nearly as much as your water/pipe example implies. As someone explained eariler in this thread, wire resistance is defined as resistance per unit length multiplied by the over all length. So a couple inches of higher resistance (where you trim for a connector) wont alter the over all resistance by very much.



    No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.


  14. #43
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    While finding an adapter that keeps you from having to trim away some strands is more ideal, trimming those strands for an inch or two of the wire does not limit over all resistance nearly as much as your water/pipe example implies. As someone explained eariler in this thread, wire resistance is defined as resistance per unit length multiplied by the over all length. So a couple inches of higher resistance (where you trim for a connector) wont alter the over all resistance by very much.
    I was explaining more to the point of wh6y to go bigger I was not addressing the cutting of strands. All I know is if car audio ever had an inspection like real electrical Better not knick a whire while terminating let alone cut strands. I am a Master Electrician in MD, I have done numerous jobs with an insppector watching me do terms. I was dumbing down the explanation for the guy Resistance over length only means something to guys that know electrical theoryt.




  15. #44
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnderFighter View Post
    And they don't have to do any of that by listing it as 1/0?
    The size is not the determining factor of ul listing or not. Someone mentioned NEC is more concerned with failure points. the exact table is NEC 70 310.16 has ampacity listings for copper, aluminum, and ccaluminum in various insulation types. To get that marking requires the testing and standards. As an electrician if I were to try to use a car audio cable in an application although 1/0 is supposedly 1/0 the jacketing would cause me to fail my inspection. Now a quick point some cables do look inconsistent to others in size that is due to number of strands and a bunch of other stuff.




  16. #45
    TheUnderFighter's Avatar
    TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Murrieta, California, (SoCal)
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Point of oversized wire?

    Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    The size is not the determining factor of ul listing or not. Someone mentioned NEC is more concerned with failure points. the exact table is NEC 70 310.16 has ampacity listings for copper, aluminum, and ccaluminum in various insulation types. To get that marking requires the testing and standards. As an electrician if I were to try to use a car audio cable in an application although 1/0 is supposedly 1/0 the jacketing would cause me to fail my inspection. Now a quick point some cables do look inconsistent to others in size that is due to number of strands and a bunch of other stuff.
    ooo ok gotcha, I misunderstood. I thought you were responding to "why don't they just label it 2/0" haha. Hence my confusion.



    2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. what kind of speaker wire for 15" RE XXX
    By adammk5 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 10:55 AM
  2. Resistance of combination wiring scheme?
    By Diabolic in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 01:37 PM
  3. does the size of the wiring matter??
    By ZmanTT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2002, 06:19 PM
  4. Newbie in need of help wiring a system
    By Xtremitie in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-25-2002, 03:26 PM
  5. What type of speaker wire to use?
    By tsbarro in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2002, 11:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum