Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Need Help Selecting the JL Amps for my System

Sentinelrv is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need Help Selecting the JL Amps for my System

Hey, I have an 06 Nissan 350z and I've been trying to figure out what type of audio system I want to buy and have some questions. Here is what I've selected so far.

NOTE: Forum wouldn't let me post links, so I had to change http to hxxp. Just change it back.

Head Unit: Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH (Releases this month)
    hxxp://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-Z150BH

Sub Box: ZEnclosures Custom Single 10" Subwoofer Box with Amp Rack
    hxxp://www.zenclosures.com/Nissan-350Z-Subwoofer-Box-p/z110ar.htm

Subwoofer: Single JL 10w3v3-4
    hxxp://www.jlaudio.com/10w3v3-4-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92151

Speakers: JL ZR650-CSi Speaker System (2 Speakers, 2 Tweeters)
    hxxp://www.jlaudio.com/zr650-csi-car-audio-zr-speaker-systems-91122

Amplifier(s): ???

I'm not that knowledgeable on car audio, so please bear with me. My main question is about what amplifier(s) to get. I want to get all my equipment from JL Audio. When first picking out my sub, I noticed on JL's website that the danger level for that sub is around 500 watts, so I decided to choose the JL XD300/1 amp because it was closer to the optimum level. You can find that amp here........hxxp://www.jlaudio.com/xd300-1-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98266

But then as I did more research, I found out that I also have to take into account the component speakers. People were telling me it's best to get two amps, one for the sub and one for the component speakers. Or is it possible to have only one amp run everything? I'm pretty lost here and I'm not sure what to buy. I don't want to blow these things up by getting the wrong amps. I also don't need these things to be super loud. I only got one 10" for a reason.

Could somebody please link me to the best JL amps for my setup? Again, I have one 10w3v3-4 and the ZR650-CSi system, just the front door speakers, not the rear ones. And also, is there anything I might be forgetting? Thanks for any help!

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Re: Need Help Selecting the JL Amps for my System

Get the JL HD600/4 for that setup

Or consider getting the w6 over the w3

juanmgarza26 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You poor child, don't be like me, don't pay all that money on jl audio, I did that I I with I could get the money back I paid, what is your budget man? there ALOT better that can be had for the money, trust me I wish I could have spent my 1300 on brands a lot of these guys on here have...

4. Likes Dtrom liked this post
    Dislikes IonRL205, Why So Cereal? disliked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    Get the JL HD600/4 for that setup

Or consider getting the w6 over the w3
    I don't want to have too much bass, so I'd like to stay with the w3 if possible. Is there a reason why you would choose the HD600/4 for my setup? That's higher than the 500 watt limit for my one w3 sub. Will the power just get dispensed through all the speakers, so the sub will never get more than 500 watts? I want to make sure I keep this within safe limits.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juanmgarza26 View Post
    You poor child, don't be like me, don't pay all that money on jl audio, I did that I I with I could get the money back I paid, what is your budget man? there ALOT better that can be had for the money, trust me I wish I could have spent my 1300 on brands a lot of these guys on here have...
    My budget is about $2,000. I don't need to spend that much though. I'm also not buying straight from JL. I saw the prices on the links I provided above and they're outrageous. I found some of that stuff a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelrv View Post
    I don't want to have too much bass, so I'd like to stay with the w3 if possible. Is there a reason why you would choose the HD600/4 for my setup? That's higher than the 500 watt limit for my one w3 sub. Will the power just get dispensed through all the speakers, so the sub will never get more than 500 watts?
    I suggested that sub upgrade for the extra quality of the w6, not the volume.

The HD 600/4 will give your sub 300w and your comps 150w per side.

Run the front channels on the components and bridge the rear channels to the subwoofer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My budget is about $2,000. I don't need to spend that much though. I'm also not buying straight from JL. I saw the prices on the links i provided above and they're outrageous. I found some of that stuff a lot cheaper elsewhere.
    yes I understand I bought all my jl gear from ebay, yeah it was alot cheaper than retail, but even then we still end up paying too much when we can get gear that's just as good or better for a lot less of a budget, with my 1300 I could have gotten a 2 sundown sa12's some dam good components from the classifieds on here and good used sundown mono block and a 4 channel, if you want jl that's your choice man I just wish I would have been on this forum before I bought all my gear.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suggested that sub upgrade for the extra quality of the w6, not the volume.

The HD 600/4 will give your sub 300w and your comps 150w per side.

Run the front channels on the components and bridge the rear channels to the subwoofer.
    Ok, that's what I thought happened. You can distribute the wattage throughout all the speakers. I just wasn't sure until you told me. Thanks a lot! I'll look into that one.

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

yes I understand I bought all my jl gear from ebay, yeah it was alot cheaper than retail, but even then we still end up paying too much when we can get gear that's just as good or better for a lot less of a budget, with my 1300 I could have gotten a 2 sundown sa12's some dam good components from the classifieds on here and good used sundown mono block and a 4 channel, if you want jl that's your choice man I just wish I would have been on this forum before I bought all my gear.
    The guy doesn't need a ridiculous loud system. By the equipment he's suggesting, he just wants a small SQ system, not a loud daily system.

Those SA12s won't compare to the SQ of a JL W6

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    The guy doesn't need a ridiculous loud system. By the equipment he's suggesting, he just wants a small SQ system, not a loud daily system.

Those SA12s won't compare to the SQ of a JL W6
    That's true I can understand that, just that im sure there are better sql gear for the amount of money he wants to spend... just a thoought

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just wondering, if I did get the w6 instead, would the HD600/4 still work good? I noticed the w6 increases to 600 watts instead of 500 for the w3. So the sub would only end up getting about half the power then right? Would this end up affecting the quality?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Just wondering, if I did get the w6 instead, would the HD600/4 still work good? I noticed the w6 increases to 600 watts instead of 500 for the w3. So the sub would only end up getting about half the power then right? Would this affect the quality?
    Nope, impedances wouldn't match up.

You would need a separate mono amp like the slash 500 or 600

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope, impedances wouldn't match up.

You would need a separate mono amp like the slash 500 or 600
    So what exactly would you suggest? What 2 amps would you get and is there a certain way to wire them like you mentioned above in your 2nd post for the w3 setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you are all for jl, get the slash 500 or 600, either amp will suit a w6 if your staying with a 10, and for the other, use the 300/4, you can have the extra headroom in your amp to put in another set of speakers, my 300/4 make the components and 6x9's sound really good

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you are all for jl, get the slash 500 or 600, either amp will suit a w6 if your staying with a 10, and for the other, use the 300/4, you can have the extra headroom in your amp to put in another set of speakers, my 300/4 make the components and 6x9's sound really good
    So let me make sure I understand this right. You're saying that the Slash 500/1 would power only the w6. I found this one here, because it's not listed on the main website......hxxp://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-500-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B000XUDQ1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363417532&sr=8-1&keywords=jl+slash+500

And the 300/4 would split 150 watts between the component speakers? Again, not on the website, but I found one here......hxxp://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-300-4V2-4-Channel/dp/B000XUBL9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363417597&sr=8-1&keywords=jl+300%2F4

Please let me know if I linked the right amps also.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast