Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Favorite tuning frequency?!

ChucklezZ is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Favorite tuning frequency?!

Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    so what do you recommend when tuning? Are you saying below 30 or above?
    Were you at Frost Off in 2012?
    My question exactly

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChucklezZ View Post
    My question exactly
    He's saying to tune below 30Hz so that group delay will stay below 10ms at frequencies above 30Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

It's a system so it really depends on various things - vehicle transfer function, driver Q, driver Fs, power applied (may affect driver choice or enclosure volume), etc... This is why everything should be modeled, including the acoustic response of the vehicle interior. I will tune anywhere from 16 to 22hz if being completely musical is my goal, but I also use drivers that have very low Fs numbers. No unloading issues on the bottom end negates the need for any SSF, and I vary the enclosure volume to suit the driver Vas and the power applied to keep unloading above the tuning in check. The goal here is to have a maximally flat frequency and group delay response, while keeping excursion under control. This is what will truly allow you to play anything you want, including tones all day if you want to beat down the block. I listen to metal, classical, jazz, DJ Billy E, whatever. From the head unit, I simply change my high pass settings and EQ profiles to get the sound I want. Smooth, creamy, and extended, or lean, dry, and punchy... whatever I want.

The kicker, and what many fail to realize, is that, often times, a side effect a true SQ system is the ability to actually get loud. Just depends on the gear being used and the application of it. It's one of the reasons I hate the spawning of the term SQL. Ranks up there with substage.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    He's saying to tune below 30Hz so that group delay will stay below 10ms at frequencies above 30Hz.
    Exactly, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

sjv13 is offline StayStrange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So low tuning will get me that awesome PUNCH! in my chest from the kick drums of rock songs? (given I have enough power).

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    So low tuning will get me that awesome PUNCH! in my chest from the kick drums of rock songs? (given I have enough power).
    I think you missed the point of everything that's been said.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    I think you missed the point of everything that's been said.
    Shoot. So what's the point? I thought it was said that tuning below 30hz is good for rock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

It's more than just the tuning, lol.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

He said tuning really low will keep the subwoofer from over extending which is why you have as subsonic filter on your amp. And tuning low will give you a flat response curve. Which means the bass will never peak at a frequency and get really loud..BUT will play all frequencies very well.

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

9. Likes ciaonzo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    It's more than just the tuning, lol.
    Right. It's also if the amp can handle the quickness and how it sounds in a specific car. Right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

He said tuning really low will keep the subwoofer from over extending which is why you have as subsonic filter on your amp. And tuning low will give you a flat response curve. Which means the bass will never peak at a frequency and get really loud..BUT will play all frequencies very well.
    ahh, ok. So what is it exactly that gives the punch? I can feel it a little bit with what I have, but I've felt it more other places. Not sure what needs to be done to achieve it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This guy is catching on quickly.

And think about it... think of what you could do on whim. If you're tuned at somewhere around 18-22hz, driver excursion is at it's lowest there, right? Which means, barring any tricky cancellation issues, the output will be potentially strongest in that region (depending on how things are set in your particular application). That means you could set your low pass to something like 30-45hz and just dump power into the driver until the thermal limits are being approached. You would be crushing the lows with absolute authority. If it's not punchy enough, simply raise the low pass frequency a bit until you get the desired effect.

You guys picking up what I'm laying down here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

ahh, ok. So what is it exactly that gives the punch? I can feel it a little bit with what I have, but I've felt it more other places. Not sure what needs to be done to achieve it though.
    Punch is usually associated with higher frequencies, and that's correct, but it's not limited to the high frequencies. It's more about the whole visceral presentation at all frequencies. Even in your front stage. Power and dynamics! Here, here!

jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

And think about it... think of what you could do on whim. If you're tuned at somewhere around 18-22hz, driver excursion is at it's lowest there, right? Which means, barring any tricky cancellation issues, the output will be potentially strongest in that region (depending on how things are set in your particular application). That means you could set your low pass to something like 30-45hz and just dump power into the driver until the thermal limits are being approached. You would be crushing the lows with absolute authority. If it's not punchy enough, simply raise the low pass frequency a bit until you get the desired effect.

Kinda. We are n00bs here. For me to understand the whole thing. I would first have to understand how to even A. Tune a ported enclosure. B. Understand frequency respone, peak outputs and all that. C. Just not be such a n00b

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So I'm planning on building a set up for my home stereo and I'm going to tune the box pretty low (around 20-23hz) and so are you saying I'll be able to play Bass I Love You and actually have it sound good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I was a noob many years ago, don't worry. Books and practical experience are your friends.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast