Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Looking for opinions/info/help on Tahoe sound update.

UKUKUK is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking for opinions/info/help on Tahoe sound update.

I'm not looking at spending some retarded amount of money for something I'll probably not get to actually blast(like I want) the vast majority of the time. I have children. They will be in the vehicle with me probably 75% of my driving time. I'm completely new to doing anything this extensive; I've upgraded head units and door speakers in prior vehicles, but nothing beyond that. I only know that changing those seemed to increase the sound quality ten-fold, so going a little further only seems better.

I have decided that I want to run at 4OHM for the simple reasons of load-bearing and strain. I don't feel like swapping amps every year because it fizzles out. END.

That being said, this is what I've been looking at:

-Front doors: 6.5" JL C5-650x (75w RMS) (25-150w RMS recommended per amp channel) (298$)

-Rear doors: 6.5" JL C5-650x

-Rear: undecided, because I keep reading that 4x10's are junk. Memphis 4x10's are a possibility here. Will probably be un-amped either way; unless there happens to be a few good recommendations from the good folks here, but probably not. May convert to a different speaker size (whatever I can get in without having to modify any interior panels, because... well.. I don't feel like it). Price here doesn't really matter because they're all pretty cheap from what I've seen.

-Door Amp: Alpine MRX F65 (110w RMS per channel at 4OHMs) (228$) The reason I''ve chosen this amp is because its wattage seems pretty middle of of the road for recommended load on the speakers, and is over the speakers RMS, which I hear is better than being under.

Subwoofer: Alpine SWR 10D4 (135$) I chose this subwoofer because it's cheap, the new motor design is much more recommended than the previous, and I don't want 452 different brands of crap in my vehicle.

Sub Amp: Alpine MRX M55 (350w RMS at 4OHMs) (185$) I chose this amp because once again, I don't want 452 different brands of crap in my vehicle.

As far as amps/sub go, I'm pretty open to recommendations, as long as it's matching, close in price range, and has comparable stats. I actually like Memphis subs/amps better from what I've heard, but their price points are beyond me, If I want my chit to match. Plus their amps are huge, at least the Belles I've had experience with are.

I've also been looking at the Alpine PDX-V9 and JL HD900/5 simply for space-saving reasons. I know, it's a pretty big truck, but I constantly use my available storage space. I haven't found too much about hands-on experience with the PDX-V9 and have read a lot about the HD900/5 getting hot. Not to the point of going into safe mode, but still, hot is hot, and it causes additional stress on internals, and like I said I want this stuff to last..

The Sub and it's appropriate amp will be waiting another few months, so for now I'm really just looking to get some decent sound out of the rest of the truck, any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by UKUKUK; 03-05-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Sgt. Spuds is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Looking for opinions/info/help on Tahoe sound update.

I think if you would realize theres nothing wrong with different brands mixed and matched you would be able to get a whole lot further on the same dime or even less. Alpine stuff is good, but pricey, and nothing special.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't necessarily need to stick with alpine; it just seemed fairly cheap for what I'm shooting for, but I'm fine with whatever. I'd just rather it match... personal preference I guess. No real reason behind it.

Hell, I may even go down to an 7 or 8' sub. I don't particularly want a lot of bass, I just want it to keep up with the loudness of everything else, and be crisp, clear, and distortion-free. I won't come into a place, ask for advice, and refuse to at least check it out though... So what kind of suggestions do you have that could do me as well or better for about the same price?

I do want the system as a whole to be loud as ****, for those few child-free moments I do have.

I also need opinions on a good head unit for around 300-400. I already have an alpine cde-9887, but I'm looking at possibly switching to a double-din.
    Last edited by UKUKUK; 03-05-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've had alpine head units in the past, they have always been great to me. I have had 2 pioneers, one cheapo single din for a beater car, which was aright for that application, but nothing more. I currently have a double din touch screen pioneer ( forget the model number ) in my girlfriends 08 jetta with stock speakers and a set of 12's and it has a great eq on it, no complaints except the operation of the menus is a bit clumbsy. I have a Kenwood DDX-419 ( I think thats the name of it ) double din touch screen dvd unit in my escalade that I LOVE. Has kick *** sound, great menus, bluetooth, pandora, 3 sets of pre outs, video in and out, everything I need, and I got it under 300 bucks ( opened item at bestbuy ) My buddy has a kenwood single din he bought for under a hundred bucks that has everything in the world in it as far as LPF HPF EQ and what not, and 3 sets of pre outs.

In closing I feel that Kenwood units have the best bang for the buck right now, just from my own personal experience, not a million reviews read online.

Heres a photo of mine.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. If you happen to think to get get the model number off the other one feel free to come back and post it as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe it is a Pioneer-avh-x1500dvd

Closed Thread