Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

Wfs0801 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

My system will consist of 2 amps. 1 of which is going to the subs in the trunk, the other is going to the 4 speakers inside the car.

After a quick conversation with a co-worker, he told me basically that I would need a head unit with 3 RCA inputs, 1 for the subs amp, and 2 for the inside speakers amp (believe he said front stage and rear stage?).

So now I'd like to get some info on exactly what RCA Inputs are, and how I can tell how many a head unit has, and how many I need. I'm looking at crutchfield head units and nowhere in the details does it mention RCA Inputs so now I'm lost.

Below20hzonly is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

you only need 2 sets of pre outs, one for each amp. look behind your Headunit to see how many preouts it has

Pioneer 80prs
    Image dynamics xs65 comps
    JL audio w6v.2 12"
    Elemental designs nine.2x
    Alpine mrp m1000
    Audio technix deadner, mlv
    Knu and monster wiring
    1.75net tuned~34hz

blobb454 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

Please done take this the wrong way op, do you know what rca's are first off? Just making sure we're not assuming anything here.

Quote Originally Posted by kpetree View Post
    I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

No I don't. That's why I asked what they were and what they did.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5043 Post(s)

you need a deck that has 3 sets of rca out puts not inputs .frt rear and sub out .most better quality decks have 3 sets and are 4 volt pre out as well ,this is what you are looking for .if you need some suggestions for deck i can help ,but would need to know your budget first

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

momax_powers is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)

The inputs are on the amp.... The headunit has outputs .... They are the red and white component jacks that are found on the back of tvs, stereos, home theatre recievers etc an are used to send or recieve audio signals.... Each set has a right and left usually (red and white/black). On aftermarket car stereo decks they are called pre-outs and usually have a voltage rating attached to them (e.g 3 sets of 4v pre-outs...front rear and sub) cheaper decks may only have a single set or two sets at lower voltage

All of this can be found very easily and more details with a quick google search as with 95% of basic car audio info

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

What would the RCA output be labeled as when looking at the specs for the HU? I was looking at crutchfield and in the details section about the HU's nowhere did it say anything about RCA inputs or outputs. I saw they said 'pre-amp output' and 'pre-amp voltage'. Are these the technical terms of the plugins that I should be looking for? I've found several HU I'd like to buy, now I'm just trying to make sure they have all the capabilities that I require for my system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

Anyone able to post specific pics for op? I don't have access to a computer right now just my phone...

I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

Knowmadic is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wfs0801 View Post
    What would the RCA output be labeled as when looking at the specs for the HU? I was looking at crutchfield and in the details section about the HU's nowhere did it say anything about RCA inputs or outputs. I saw they said 'pre-amp output' and 'pre-amp voltage'. Are these the technical terms of the plugins that I should be looking for? I've found several HU I'd like to buy, now I'm just trying to make sure they have all the capabilities that I require for my system.
    On Crutchfield in the pictures it shows multiple angles of the headunits, look for one of the ones that are looking at the rear of the headunit.

You can see how it has 3 pairs of RCA outputs. I'd recommend going through @mylows10 He'll set you up with some nice gear and work with your budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

Thank you @Knowmadic ; for posting pic! Op red line circling rca's!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knowmadic View Post
    On Crutchfield in the pictures it shows multiple angles of the headunits, look for one of the ones that are looking at the rear of the headunit.

You can see how it has 3 pairs of RCA outputs. I'd recommend going through @mylows10 He'll set you up with some nice gear and work with your budget.
    Thanks for the pic and reference. I'm now looking at other HU, some of which do not have the rear view pic, but in the details section it lists '5 channel' pre amp output. Does that mean 5 sets of the red&white plugs or what exactly?

Also, when it says '4 voltage' does that mean that I need to find an amp that matches that 4 voltage? Or what does that mean when it comes to looking for equipment to plug into it.

40oz is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

5 channel would be 3 pre outs. 2 channels for the front, 2 channels for the rear and 1 channel for the subwoofer

alexn09 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

As far as voltage is concerned, most amps will have a voltage input range listed on their specifications. Some will say .5V-5V for example. The knob marked "gain" is used to match the input voltage coming from your headunit output.

So if your head outputs .5 volts than you would need to turn the amp gain up pretty high. If the head unit sends out 4V signals than you could keep the amp gain fairly low.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexn09 View Post
    As far as voltage is concerned, most amps will have a voltage input range listed on their specifications. Some will say .5V-5V for example. The knob marked "gain" is used to match the input voltage coming from your headunit output.

So if your head outputs .5 volts than you would need to turn the amp gain up pretty high. If the head unit sends out 4V signals than you could keep the amp gain fairly low.
    Ok now I get how the channels work, thanks a lot @40oz. @alexn09, This question may be answered by looking at my amp, but how do I now if the gain knob is matching when the HU is putting out? thanks for the explanation of the voltage, other than that question it seems pretty simple. Also, I love the grill you have in your sig. I have the Coupe also, but it's silver.

alexn09 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

There are many many explanations about how to set gains and ill be honest I'm still learning a lot too so I don't know the perfect way to do it. A lot of people will set gains with a digital multimeter and some will set gains with an occilloscope (idk how to spell that). If you google, "how to set amp gains," you'll run into a lot of results.

That is actually my stock grill, they come on all 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 models. I just took a roll of black vinyl tape and blacked out the top bar and the circle on the Nissan logo. I think it looks a lot better too. Are you a member over at Nicoclub.com? NICO (Nissan and Infiniti car owners)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast