Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Reload Thread: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

  1. #16
    Wfs0801's Avatar
    Wfs0801 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, MD
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

    Alright, I'll take a few to google amp gains and see what I can figure out. After a close look at the pic I can sort of see now that it's the stock grill, looked aftermarket lol. And no, I don't really deal with internet forums all that much so I'm not a member.







  2. #17
    40oz's Avatar
    40oz is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

    You can set gains by ear, multimeter, o-scope or something like the SMD DD1. Most people that have been into car audio a long time will recommend to set gains by ear but most people that are new to car audio are not comfortable with that as there is the possibility of clipping and damaging your equipment. The multimeter method will allow you to set your gains pretty close to where you want them even if it is not 100% accurate. The safest and probably most accurate way to set gains is to use an oscilloscope or DD1. There is a lot of different opinions about the DD1 though, some people swear by it and others say that they will never use one.

    You might be able to find someone in your area with an o-scope or DD1 and they can set your gains for a small fee ($5-$10). If not then you can buy a cheap multimeter(you might already have one or someone you know probably does) and set them that way.

    I've used all the methods I just mentioned but now I stick to setting my front speakers amp by ear and use a DD1 for sub amp.




  3. #18
    Wfs0801's Avatar
    Wfs0801 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, MD
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

    When you say 'cheap multimeter' how much are you talking roughly? We have them at my work but I'd get in trouble if I got caught using it outside so I might not want to take that chance.

    Also, once you set your gains, are they good from then on? Like as long as you don't remove or upgrade equipment or anything will they be good from then on? I might even just ask the guys at the shop when they install everything if they can set all the gains for me.




  4. #19
    40oz's Avatar
    40oz is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

    You can get a multimeter at Harbor Freight for $5...personally I would spend a little more and get something a little better. I bought this one off Amazon:

    Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter : Amazon.com : Automotive

    It was like $18 when I bought it IIRC...or this would be a good option for a little less:

    Equus 3300 Hands-free Digital Multimeter : Amazon.com : Automotive


    And yes, once your gains are set properly they are good to go until you change something up. And personally, I would never let a shop touch my vehicle or my equipment.




  5. #20
    d77543020's Avatar
    d77543020 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    stockton ca
    Posts
    2,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

    Op are you doing this install yourself I mean rca inputs and outputs has been common almost any type of audio equipment to not know what they are is scary




  6. #21
    Wfs0801's Avatar
    Wfs0801 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, MD
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

    Quote Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
    You can get a multimeter at Harbor Freight for $5...personally I would spend a little more and get something a little better. I bought this one off Amazon:

    Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter : Amazon.com : Automotive

    It was like $18 when I bought it IIRC...or this would be a good option for a little less:

    Equus 3300 Hands-free Digital Multimeter : Amazon.com : Automotive


    And yes, once your gains are set properly they are good to go until you change something up. And personally, I would never let a shop touch my vehicle or my equipment.
    I don't really like the idea of having the shop do it, by I sort of have no choice. I know nothing about wiring up speakers and such and I'd really rather not risk frying anything in the car. Especially since I've fried units in the past and had to pay the shop for a new unit and installation.

    @d77543020, I don't know what any of this stuff is because I've never dealt with audio. This is my first system. Nobody knows what all this stuff is straight off the bench.




  7. #22
    40oz's Avatar
    40oz is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wfs0801 View Post
    I don't really like the idea of having the shop do it, by I sort of have no choice. I know nothing about wiring up speakers and such and I'd really rather not risk frying anything in the car. Especially since I've fried units in the past and had to pay the shop for a new unit and installation.

    @d77543020, I don't know what any of this stuff is because I've never dealt with audio. This is my first system. Nobody knows what all this stuff is straight off the bench.
    I get what you are saying but if you take time to do research online you can basically find information on anything you need. Wiring up speakers is about as straight forward as it gets, positive wire to positive terminal, negative wire to negative terminal. I was just as much of a newbie as yourself a little over a year ago but I took about 3 months of doing research before I attempted to do my own install. It took me a while but I got it done and it just feels so much better knowing that I did everything on my own. From sound deadening to designing and building my own box to building custom tweeter mounts for my car. I found basically everything I needed to know on this and other forums. No shop around would have put as much time and effort into it as I did. And now if I want to switch something up I know exactly what to do and it is a piece of cake.




  8. #23
    Wfs0801's Avatar
    Wfs0801 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, MD
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RCA Inputs? What are they? How many do I need?

    Quote Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
    I get what you are saying but if you take time to do research online you can basically find information on anything you need. Wiring up speakers is about as straight forward as it gets, positive wire to positive terminal, negative wire to negative terminal. I was just as much of a newbie as yourself a little over a year ago but I took about 3 months of doing research before I attempted to do my own install. It took me a while but I got it done and it just feels so much better knowing that I did everything on my own. From sound deadening to designing and building my own box to building custom tweeter mounts for my car. I found basically everything I needed to know on this and other forums. No shop around would have put as much time and effort into it as I did. And now if I want to switch something up I know exactly what to do and it is a piece of cake.
    I can understand where you're coming from. I had a long conversation with a co-worker who has installed powerful systems in all of his previous cars (#3 right now), and he has also done installs for friends/family, he basically convinced me that if I can do the work we do (we build wire harnesses for helicopters) than I should be able to do an audio system with just a little research. He also offered to help me with the install so long as it was on a weekend, so I guess I'll be saving myself a couple hundred $'s and gaining the knowledge of doing it myself.




Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. What Are Wheel Locks And Do They Work?
    By bcleachd in forum Car Interior/Exterior Enhancements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 06:09 PM
  2. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-23-2005, 11:52 AM
  3. What are horns/how do they work?
    By icemayne696 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:44 PM
  4. Professional's SQ setups - What are they?
    By Mark_ab in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-16-2002, 01:49 PM
  5. how many do i need
    By larry in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2002, 01:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum