Closed Thread

Reload Thread: looking for a car to put a large system in? look past a taurus

JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

looking for a car to put a large system in? look past a taurus

Ill have pics up tomorrow, but this car is a jesus christ to get to work right. For all intensive purposes im referring to models w/o pull down seats

First off, the wiring harness is ******* retarded, you have to run all speaker wires to the front, no big deal. Then you are sitting there ******* with plugs and brackets, and for my specific model, you need a 215 ohm resistor to make the car shut the **** up about airbags.

Then you got the whole concept of, 'lets make a ******* bulletproof firewall that requires air impact tools to get through'. Still doable. But then you get into the trunk, and this is where it gets nasty...

Youve got this sound deadened seat, and its bolted down quite good. You could hear bodies if they sceamed in the back crying for help, but you put a 2k+ rms system back there and it sounds like a blown p3 croaking to life while underwater.

Okay, i took the seat out, a little bit of a pain but no big deal. Well apparantly the deck drops down from being a normal deck, down to 11in.. Challenge accepted. 4-5 hours later and 5 cuttiing bits for my air cutter later.. I got it all sawed off. (for ref, my new box will be 15" high and has to come in through the car doors)

So i got through every obstacle so far.. oh wait, ****** alternator. Halfway through my first full tilt playthrough the regulator decides to choke on dong$ and would drop down to 8V then within seconds be resting fine at 14.4V, so i took it easy. Turn the volume up to _3_ (out of 35) and the voltage drops to 11.3V @ 2k rpm. That issue suddenly went away and i let my guard down... Halfway to my destination the following day, all i smell is chocolate, rich dark tasty chocolate.. Next thing i know the amp goes into protect mode...

Long story short, the coil is more black than the night sky... By a combination of letting my guard down and FORD being.... a FORD... my attitude was pronounced dead at the scene. I put the other coil through full gain, bass boost, and vol 35/35 on the HU to fully kill it (that was fun though, took it for quite a while.)

Okay, so we get the alt fixed up, whats more? The trunk leaks.... BAD. I made the mistake of taking it through a high powered car wash with some electronics sitting in the trunk (thank GOD not hooked up) when all i hear is water running like ****. Prior to this i had the seats bolted on so i wouldnt have heard it...

We're talking 1/4 the spare tire well filled with swishling water. Im working on that now, i cant find where its coming in for ****...

20+h into this car and its finally coming into play. Point being, **** the ford taurus for anything large system related... those woofers better be fcking worth it..

Just needed a place to rant , and thought id provide a good read for those bored like he1l.

** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

Timmy13091 is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Re: looking for a car to put a large system in? look past a taurus

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Ill have pics up tomorrow, but this car is a jesus christ to get to work right. For all intensive purposes im referring to models w/o pull down seats

First off, the wiring harness is ******* retarded, you have to run all speaker wires to the front, no big deal. Then you are sitting there ******* with plugs and brackets, and for my specific model, you need a 215 ohm resistor to make the car shut the **** up about airbags.

Then you got the whole concept of, 'lets make a ******* bulletproof firewall that requires air impact tools to get through'. Still doable. But then you get into the trunk, and this is where it gets nasty...

Youve got this sound deadened seat, and its bolted down quite good. You could hear bodies if they sceamed in the back crying for help, but you put a 2k+ rms system back there and it sounds like a blown p3 croaking to life while underwater.

Okay, i took the seat out, a little bit of a pain but no big deal. Well apparantly the deck drops down from being a normal deck, down to 11in.. Challenge accepted. 4-5 hours later and 5 cuttiing bits for my air cutter later.. I got it all sawed off. (for ref, my new box will be 15" high and has to come in through the car doors)

So i got through every obstacle so far.. oh wait, ****** alternator. Halfway through my first full tilt playthrough the regulator decides to choke on dong$ and would drop down to 8V then within seconds be resting fine at 14.4V, so i took it easy. Turn the volume up to _3_ (out of 35) and the voltage drops to 11.3V @ 2k rpm. That issue suddenly went away and i let my guard down... Halfway to my destination the following day, all i smell is chocolate, rich dark tasty chocolate.. Next thing i know the amp goes into protect mode...

Long story short, the coil is more black than the night sky... By a combination of letting my guard down and FORD being.... a FORD... my attitude was pronounced dead at the scene. I put the other coil through full gain, bass boost, and vol 35/35 on the HU to fully kill it (that was fun though, took it for quite a while.)

Okay, so we get the alt fixed up, whats more? The trunk leaks.... BAD. I made the mistake of taking it through a high powered car wash with some electronics sitting in the trunk (thank GOD not hooked up) when all i hear is water running like ****. Prior to this i had the seats bolted on so i wouldnt have heard it...

We're talking 1/4 the spare tire well filled with swishling water. Im working on that now, i cant find where its coming in for ****...

20+h into this car and its finally coming into play. Point being, **** the ford taurus for anything large system related... those woofers better be fcking worth it..

Just needed a place to rant , and thought id provide a good read for those bored like he1l.
    Lol

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

I get loud ! Stock alt
    05 Taurus

JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: looking for a car to put a large system in? look past a taurus

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy13091 View Post
    Lol

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

I get loud ! Stock alt
    05 Taurus
    If i have any sort of luck, ill be pulling those numbers soon.. and hair out of your scalp

** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

Closed Thread