Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: 1 amp, 2 sub woofers - same size or not, single 2 chamber enclosure. ported & sealed?

snax is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Re: 1 amp, 2 sub woofers - same size or not, single 2 chamber enclosure. ported & sea

Quote Originally Posted by nu2spl View Post
    my feeling are not hurt,just trying to save you alot of wasted time and money,i was new to all this once too,ive done exactly what you are wanting to do,yes it looks cool but thats about all.2 10's 2 12's and 2 15's all together in one box,and in separate chambers in the same vehicle been there done that and its a waste man.
    I just figure in my home theater i have 6? different sized speakers in 2 different types enclosures with some crossover overlap pointed in all kinds of directions and it sounds fuckin awesome. so why not 2 subs pointed in different directions in different enclosures in an auto? Ill be the first to admit that it sounds like doodoo when i do it.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

Re: 1 amp, 2 sub woofers - same size or not, single 2 chamber enclosure. ported & sea

probably a reason you never saw it or tried it, but I'm all for trying stuff out. So do it and report back on how it turns out...

3. Likes snax liked this post
    nu2spl is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snax View Post
    i have been into car/home audio since i was 14, I'm 33 now. worked as a mobile installer for 6 years in a shop the rest at home, haven't done this type of enclosure the whole time. 6 hours and $25 for a sheet of 3/4 particle i can spare. just never tried it. What size sub/amp combination, configuration did you try?
    ive done everything from 8's to 18's,2 12's mixed with 2 15's and 4 8's with 4 12's,4 15's with 1 18 etc.... and as far as brands,ive had everything from JL to crunch(mid '90's crunch)ive had lanzar(the mid '90's lanzar) kicker,kenwood,pioneer,all the way up to AB subs,mojo's,atomic,and my 2 AB 500.1 amps i have now,so pretty much every brand of sub and amp combination from about '92 up to now,yes that does include jensen,pyramid,legacy and all the other crappy brands too

bought from: wccoug21 sundownz thegreatestpenn loudwhat? woofercooker jonny101abc spooney fasfocus00

sold to: jpx18 Nateberrier Ge_off_me spm_215 2lo2flo akheathen etm34 djjdnap jfroghobo traded: SPLaudio Zeuslicious

under construction:
    1992 Toyota Paseo(1) Pioneer DEH-P500UB head unit(2)American Bass VFL 500.1 amps(4) stinger batteries,building 2 10's in tubes

snax is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    probably a reason you never saw it or tried it, but I'm all for trying stuff out. So do it and report back on how it turns out...
    True that and yes i will. People don't request things like this when you work at a shop because it seems mismatched or looks messy. One of the best SPL boxes that came out of our shop (in its power class) was a box with 4 12inch JLs 2 firing twards the rear and 2 firing to the opposite sides, 2 chambers all ported one amp. This was a space issue, something we never tried before. I don't care about looks and am not concerned with SPL numbers. I just want the low from a ported enclosure with the punch of a sealed and as we agree trying something different is part of the fun in any hobby. Thank you for your reply!

subzero is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    338 Post(s)

In for epic fail...

DoesDad is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    675 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snax View Post
    I just figure in my home theater i have 6? different sized speakers in 2 different types enclosures with some crossover overlap pointed in all kinds of directions and it sounds fuckin awesome. so why not 2 subs pointed in different directions in different enclosures in an auto? Ill be the first to admit that it sounds like doodoo when i do it.
    This is in your living room in your house. Much different than the trunk of a car or the back of an SUV. Speakers can cancel each other out in a room as well if the room is too small. This isn't going to work but I wish you luck and I'm in for results...

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

So next question, why the fug is your HT set up like that?

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1605 Post(s)

How about a sq front stage that could accommodate your substage tuned low?

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

nismos14 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)

Try it out. I'd love to see 3 8's sealed, followed up with 2 15's ported. If you're gonna do 2 subs only, do a 12 sealed and a 15 ported.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1605 Post(s)

Or do a 12w6 sealed and a 13w7 ported.

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

wickedwitt is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1015 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rebelfromva View Post
    Or do a 12w6 sealed and a 13w7 ported.

OP, it would be a monumental waste of space, money and time to do different style enclosures in the same vehicle. Like previously stated, the resonant frequency of a ported box and a sealed box of the same dimension is going to be different. The ported box is going to overwhelm the output of the sealed box, but thanks to the different resonances, each wave will cancel one another out. You will actually have less output, crappier sound and equipment longevity issues than doing a traditional sealed or traditional ported enclosure.

If you are looking for the best of both worlds, build a low tuned ported enclosure using quality "SQ" oriented subs (ID, JL, Morel, *certain lines from plenty of other companies*), a quality amp (JL Slash, Kicker SX, ARC, Audison, etc) good RCAs and a nice "SQ" deck (99PRS, 80PRS, Clarion 71**). A good signal system (HU, RCA, Amp) combined with a proper enclosure will ensure accurate and non-coloured tonal response. Any sub could actually sound great like this, but some of those named are less output oriented with better specs for what I think you're wanting.

Don't, I repeat, don't do what your OP speaks of unless the sealed sub is on its own amp and is completely crossed-over to play a different set of frequencies from your ported sub. Ex. Ported Subsonic~63hz Sealed 63~100hz

Stupid Loud.

Lowflyin is offline Sit on my face, B*tch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nu2spl View Post
    ive done everything from 8's to 18's,2 12's mixed with 2 15's and 4 8's with 4 12's,4 15's with 1 18 etc.... and as far as brands,ive had everything from JL to crunch(mid '90's crunch)ive had lanzar(the mid '90's lanzar) kicker,kenwood,pioneer,all the way up to AB subs,mojo's,atomic,and my 2 AB 500.1 amps i have now,so pretty much every brand of sub and amp combination from about '92 up to now,yes that does include jensen,pyramid,legacy and all the other crappy brands too
    If you supposedly "did it all". You would know this is a stupid fvcking idea... It's been said you will have cancellation among other problems and you refuse to listen so what "input" would you like?

Sold To: Epic0318, Alpine-Accord Bought From: JL Audio, SPLAudio, JS UltimateSounds, ShoelessJake

This guys a winner...
    Quote Originally Posted by darron016 View Post
    I want to trade my amp but it is currently mounted to my trunk, how do I go about posting a picture with the date etc with it mounted? I can barely get to it

oxsign is offline No Affiliation oxsign is a Supporting Member of the forum!

oxsign is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Stop talking and go do it. You have a shop, get us some results already.......

nu2spl is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowflyin View Post
    If you supposedly "did it all". You would know this is a stupid fvcking idea... It's been said you will have cancellation among other problems and you refuse to listen so what "input" would you like?
    umm hey retard im not the one doing it,im trying to let the guy who posted this thread know its not going to work
    Last edited by nu2spl; 02-12-2013 at 07:10 PM.

bought from: wccoug21 sundownz thegreatestpenn loudwhat? woofercooker jonny101abc spooney fasfocus00

sold to: jpx18 Nateberrier Ge_off_me spm_215 2lo2flo akheathen etm34 djjdnap jfroghobo traded: SPLaudio Zeuslicious

under construction:
    1992 Toyota Paseo(1) Pioneer DEH-P500UB head unit(2)American Bass VFL 500.1 amps(4) stinger batteries,building 2 10's in tubes

snax is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoesDad View Post
    This is in your living room in your house. Much different than the trunk of a car or the back of an SUV. Speakers can cancel each other out in a room as well if the room is too small. This isn't going to work but I wish you luck and I'm in for results...
    true that and thanks!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast