Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What Would You Do? "Adding Front Stage W/OEM Intergration"

Lexicon740iL is offline AGM FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What Would You Do? "Adding Front Stage W/OEM Intergration"

I need some advice from you guys.

The car audio bug has bitten me since registering here a few weeks ago to research my latest build which I initially planned on only being a subwoofer/mono amp add on to my stock setup.

Now I'm starting to drool over all of these nice front stages you guys are running. And I seriously considering adding a second amp and a nice front stage.

Mission - Enjoy every minute of audio while behind the wheel of my SAV. With a focus twords SQL.

Budget - You tell me.....

Here are my main concerns.

I want to be able to retain Voice Commands and Bluetooth calling though my stock headunit/video/nav display.This uses the radio & Bluetooth modules connected through the stock alpine amp w/DSP So removal of my stock amp is not an option from the research I have done.

I considered just adding speakers and running off the stock dsp amp but I've seen 2Ohm and 8Ohm listed on the stock speakers and wonder if adding aftermarket to stock amp would have issues because it was designed to work with the OEM speakers sets and aftermarkets are generally 4ohm.
    *I actually chatted with a crutchfield rep online about the specs they had on file for sizes and mounting depth for mids and highs and his info said anyone running aftermarket speakers on my car would have to gut everything and run new wiring and a dedicated aftermarket amp. I'm assuming it's because of the ohm rating of the stock speakers and the way the stock amp is designed for speakers of this rating.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    I already have my substage on hand

Nakamichi PA-1500 Monoblock 1200W RMS @ 1ohm
    eD 13Av.2 "Dual 2 Ohm"
    Custom Starr Mountain Sound Enclosure 2.4 Cubes, Kerf port @ 33Hz

I was planning on tapping the signal from the harness for the stock sub for an Audio Control Epicenter Plus to feed my mono block a low level signal now it's looking like I might want to go with another option since I will need to get another speaker level signal for my mids amp If I go that route.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    Questions

Can I just use a Multichannel LOC Module like an Audio Control L6ci, Lc7/8i or something similar so I am feeding the aftermarket mid amp the signal from the stock radio module/DSP amp so I can hear my bluetooth calls and voice command navi controls still?

Would you do a aftermarket amp for the front stage in my setup?

Should I go 4 channel?

Should I do the rear door speakers too?

Which amp do you recommend for this application?

Which speakers do you recommend for this application?
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Here are some further details about my stock system.

It's 11 speakers. 10 upfront and 1 stock sub in back

The front has a 2.5" mid in the dash
    20MM tweeter in a pod on the mirror pillar of the doors
    Midbass driver in bottom of door. This is an interesting speaker as its not a standard size. This company called BSW that does BMW audio upgrades sells a front stage setup that states it ships with 5 1/4" woofers with custom 6" BMW X5 mounting plates.
    I believe they sell re branded Rainbows with there logo on them

There are some great BSW Videos that point out some details in mounting applications that may or may not be useful for making recommendations that will work for my application. It mentions gluing " of the midbasses into the stock enclosures also. "Is this going to effect my options for replacements?" *I posted video links below

The rear doors are the same 2.5" Midranges and 5 1/4 midbasses w/ what they call 6" adapter plates.

The crutchfield rep. said 5.25 or 6.5 will fit my car with adapters but then he also stated it has you drill them right into the door frame and tossing the stock enclosures.
    *Note I just use them for mounting size referance and don't plan on buying anything from them.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Please give me your thoughts and recommendation on what you would do if you were in my shoes with this vehicle and existing equiptment and final goal.

It seems like I've written a book here and I've tried to put some effort in on my part to explain the application and final goal so I hope to get some insightful replies from some of you vets

TIA
    Last edited by Lexicon740iL; 02-10-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: What Would You Do? "Adding Front Stage W/OEM Intergration"

Here is a link some videos explaining the specifics of my mounting sizes, pods, ect.

Fronts
    2 BMW X5 Speaker Package - YouTube

Dash Mids
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqe4k...4E8AFEB71#t=6s

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hello.....

Is my post too detailed?
    In the wrong spot?

Anybody have any input for me?

butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post is too long.

I didnt read all of it, but have you looked at something like the JBL MS8?

Ive used a lc6i, and didnt really like it.

HU: Pioneer AVH-P8400bh
    Amps: JL XD 400.4 / JBL 1201.1
    Front stage: HAT Imagine I61-2V2 6.5''
    Sub: JL 12w7, IB in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

double post

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)

no its not to detailed ,i'd do some nice phd or dls components in the front doors,maybe a 3 way set .then a set of mid drivers in the rear deck off of deck power only .then the arc audio ps 8 processor and the mmats 6 channel amp to run them ,all the other inside speakers wont be needed anymore .this will give you a sweet front stage that people would kill for or if you really wanna step it up then go with dynaudio speakers all around ,but be prepared to spend some series cash for them ..dont forget to matt the doors and rear deck as well .

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heebs 09gts View Post
    Post is too long.

I didnt read all of it, but have you looked at something like the JBL MS8?

Ive used a lc6i, and didnt really like it.
    I will check out that unit. Someone else recommended it on another thread of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    no its not to detailed ,i'd do some nice phd or dls components in the front doors,maybe a 3 way set .then a set of mid drivers in the rear deck off of deck power only .then the arc audio ps 8 processor and the mmats 6 channel amp to run them ,all the other inside speakers wont be needed anymore .this will give you a sweet front stage that people would kill for or if you really wanna step it up then go with dynaudio speakers all around ,but be prepared to spend some series cash for them ..dont forget to matt the doors and rear deck as well .
    Thats what I'm talking about man! a good response addressing several of the questions asked.
    I was hoping you would reply.
    I've read several posts by you and notice you are a supporting vendor here.
    I will def. send my business your way for going out of your way to help me with input on equiptment and system intrgration for my project.

You mentioned rear deck a couple of times... The BWM X5 is a SUV so no rear deck.

The rear doors have a 2.5" midrange and 6" midbass driver. Are you saying leave the OEM midrange in place and just swap out the midbass driver with an offering from PHD or DLS? and run them both off of OEM DSP amp power?

Then for the fronts. The midrange in the dash is 2.5" and then a 20mm tweeter and 6" midbass drive in the door.

Which set's would your recommend? Front stage and rear doors?
    Does anyone make something for me to fit in this OEM 2.5" midrange spot in the front dash and rear doors?
    And what about which size midbass to use?
    In the videos I posted above it points out the mounting applications. This BSW company is using 5.25" sets with an adapter plate to fit stock pod that has a 6" opening not 6.5" Should I be ditching the OEM pod and go another route so I can fit 6.5" midbass drives in the the front and rear doors?

TIA man!

-Alex
    Last edited by Lexicon740iL; 02-12-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No sorry, what I had meant is that I double posted.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon740iL View Post
    I will check out that unit. Someone else recommended it on another thread of mine.

Incorrect Sir.
    I had another thread with a similar title asking about LOC intergration for my sub stage. I have now decided to add a front stage as well and wanted input from you guys on that aspect.

Thats what I'm talking about man! a good response addressing several of the questions asked.
    I was hoping you would reply.
    I've read several posts by you and notice you are a supporting vendor here.
    I will def. send my business your way for going out of your way to help me with input on equiptment and system intrgration for my project.

You mentioned rear deck a couple of times... The BWM X5 is a SUV so no rear deck.

The rear doors have a 2.5" midrange and 6" midbass driver. Are you saying leave the OEM midrange in place and just swap out the midbass driver with an offering from PHD or DLS? and run them both off of OEM DSP amp power?

Then for the fronts. The midrange in the dash is 2.5" and then a 20mm tweeter and 6" midbass drive in the door.

Which set's would your recommend? Front stage and rear doors?
    Does anyone make something for me to fit in this OEM 2.5" midrange spot in the front dash and rear doors?
    And what about which size midbass to use?
    In the videos I posted above it points out the mounting applications. This BSW company is using 5.25" sets with an adapter plate to fit stock pod that has a 6" opening not 6.5" Should I be ditching the OEM pod and go another route so I can fit 6.5" midbass drives in the the front and rear doors?

TIA man!

-Alex
    yes i know cdt does for sure , and i think so does dls in a 3 way component ,and so does dynaudio ,would have to check about phd tho .like i said replace the fronts completely 6.5 mids for the doors , new tweets .you wont need the cross overs if you get the ps8 ,run active ,will sound the best .also just a nice set of 6.5 mids for the rear doors .rear doors off the deck power or a smaller amp will suffice to.there is alot you can do if you wanna spend the cash to get it done right .i can help with the products tho .send me a pm of what your interested in .

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok Sounds good.

I like the DLS stuff I've heard and it's Scandinavian like me "Norwegian" So that might be a good way to go. Their low profile 2.5 mid will fit in that dash spot perfectly.
    So you sell DLS?
    I did notice that they do come separately too. Would you recommend I use these in the dash because of the size restriction and run another 6.5 two way set in the other two locations up front?

While the PS8 looks very very nice I'm thinking I want to stay closer to $1000-1200 on this upgrade total.

Can you recommend some options in that range?

Front 3 way set
    Rear 6.5" Midbass Pair
    Amplification
    OEM integration Module/LOC

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon740iL View Post
    Ok Sounds good.

I like the DLS stuff I've heard and it's Scandinavian like me "Norwegian" So that might be a good way to go. Their low profile 2.5 mid will fit in that dash spot perfectly.
    So you sell DLS?
    I did notice that they do come separately too. Would you recommend I use these in the dash because of the size restriction and run another 6.5 two way set in the other two locations up front?

While the PS8 looks very very nice I'm thinking I want to stay closer to $1000-1200 on this upgrade total.

Can you recommend some options in that range?

Front 3 way set
    Rear 6.5" Midbass Pair
    Amplification
    OEM integration Module/LOC

TIA
    Reference 6.3 - 3-way component $400
    the mids i'll have to check on cost prolly 200 tho
    i can do a vfl 150.4 for 250
    AudioControl LC8i (LC8/i) Gray 8 Channel Line Output Converter 225
    i can do these

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Closed Thread