Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need some advice

Oldguy1957 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need some advice

I got my son a used 2011 Honda Civic. It has a Pioneer FH 8000BT (I think) installed. In the trunk is some heavy wiring from what appears to have been an amp of some type. The rear speakers mounted on the deck behind the rear seats are Pioneer TS A1674R. I do not know what kind are in the door. On the rear deck between the left and right speaker openings is another opening about 7" in diameter. Basically I want to upgrade the speaker system (at a reasonable price). What I would like to do is replace the two Pioneer speakers (my son says there is a rattling noise coming from them) and maybe a small subwoofer to go into the opening between the rear speakers along with an amp to power the subwoofer. Can you give me any suggestions on what type of equipment I should be looking at. Please keep in mind when I fooled around with car stereos, Gerald Ford was president and a Craig Powerplay 8 track and two Jensen speakers was considered "state of the art". Thanks for any help.

Jim

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)

Re: Need some advice

hey jim ,my name is jim to , some pics of that opening would help and so would a budget for the speakers .sounds like there was a bigger system in there from the last owner ,prolly an amp and some subwoofers in a box .

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Tenacious is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd recommend a good 6.5" component system for the front, and 6.5" midrange speakers for the back. As for the middle cutout, if you enlarged the hole you could probably fit a single 8. Otherwise you could look for a smaller subwoofer that you could easily drop in.

And what would you consider "a reasonable price"? That will help us suggest equipment to you

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm assuming that the head unit is pretty good, so for new speakers and an amp, I'd like to bring the project in for less than $300 (but the amount is flexible).We looked at some Alpine speakers at Best Buy at around $80 so I figured another couple hundred for an amp and subwoofer. I just have no idea what kind of amp would work for this project. Two things, my sons trunk is basically a rolling sporting goods store so not much room for an enclosure. And second I really don't want to hear the stereo coming from two blocks away! I know than why bother!

Jim

shadow is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

With wire there that's going to help ya.. (check all connections BTW)
    With a budget of 300 it's going to be tuff...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, the wiring appears to be OK. It's just that my knowledge on this is a little outdated. I wouldn't know a good amp from a poor amp. My son is paying for most of this, and as a college student his "disposable income" isn't much. I'll make up the difference (so long as my wife doesn't find out)! Since the system presently in the car is aftermarket (I don't know about the door speakers), I wanted to get new stuff for the rear and perhaps salvage the Pioneer speakers and put them in the door. There is a lot of equipment out on the market. I'm just not sure of the quality/value of a lot of it.

Jim

shadow is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I might be able to help ya on a amp...
    I wouldn't say it's the greats amp in the world or anything but it's BNIB only tested to make sure it worked...
    It's a kicker zx200.2 I can let it go cheap.. Help the kid with his install...

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)

300 will be a challenge look used ,the wire and deck does help a bit .i'd look for a 10" sub and an amp to match and 1 set of components for the doodrs up front .dont look at best buy either ,that 300 will go fast there and he wont even get decent equipment

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, I'm trying to understand this a little more. The area behind the rear seats has 3 cutouts, 2 are about 6.5" in diameter for the left and right speakers. He just has to find speakers that he likes, no problem there. The opening in the middle is around 7". I'm guessing I can drop the speaker in from the top and attach it. It will have to be an 8" subwoofer, no room for anything bigger, no room in the trunk for an enclosure (too much stuff carried around). Since we are only using 1 subwoofer, is a mono amp OK to use? If what I'm suggesting here makes sense, is there any brands of equipment I should avoid? If my thinking in this is all wrong please let me know.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)

ok yes the 6'5 speakers and the sub in the rear deck .the sub on a mono block amp to .there are a few options for you and yes there are some to avoid .so you need a 8" sub amp to match and some front door speakers .i might be able to help you with new stuff if interested

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)

i can do a mtx 300 watts rms mono block class d amp some clarion 6.5 speakers and a american bass xd 8" sub for 300 shipped all new and warranty

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Closed Thread