Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 3500Hz fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley compatible tweeters

PrinceCharming is offline PrinceCharming

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3500Hz fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley compatible tweeters

I might be getting some JBL C608GTI MKII mids and the crossover that goes with it, but I would have to get the tweeters separate. My question is are there any other tweeters fully compatible with this set's crossover (3500Hz fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley) and what are they? I know where I can get the ones that go with it but I would rather get some better tweeters if I can. My limit is about $120. I can mount on-axis, off-axis, or a more specific place would be pointing toward the windshield. I think I would prefer a metal dome because I listen to a lot of hip hop, rap, and rock and I just kinda like the loud, not really shrilly, but I can't think of another word at this time. What do you guys think?

I don't want to go active right now because I don't have proper processing and here's the link for the specs of the set if anyone needs it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FZtj7vnna2GhzA

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: 3500Hz fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley compatible tweeters

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceCharming View Post
    I might be getting some JBL C608GTI MKII mids and the crossover that goes with it, but I would have to get the tweeters separate. My question is are there any other tweeters fully compatible with this set's crossover (3500Hz fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley) and what are they? I know where I can get the ones that go with it but I would rather get some better tweeters if I can. My limit is about $120. I can mount on-axis, off-axis, or a more specific place would be pointing toward the windshield. I think I would prefer a metal dome because I listen to a lot of hip hop, rap, and rock and I just kinda like the loud, not really shrilly, but I can't think of another word at this time. What do you guys think?

I don't want to go active right now because I don't have proper processing and here's the link for the specs of the set if anyone needs it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FZtj7vnna2GhzA
    hard to think of any 1" drivers that can't handle being crossed that high. do you prefer silk, aluminum, titanium, etc?

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

3. Likes The_Grimy_One liked this post
    zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I agree. Most car tweeters can handle that. If you want a tweeter that's better than average consider Seas Prestige Aluminum tweeter. There is also the textile version, though people who heard both say the aluminum is more detailed without being harsh.

The Madisound Speaker Store

However, I must warn you that being compatible with the crossover frequency and slope is not enough. The issue is with matching levels. The original crossover network expects a tweeter with a certain sensitivity. Generally, we have no idea if the replacement tweeter has higher or lower sensitivity. Moreover, if you mismatch the expected and actual sensitivities, may make the sound either better or worse. After all, due to the unpredictable distance from the individual speakers to your head, the passive crossover can not always match speaker's levels to each other well. Granted, you can always plug in the tweeter, and if you don't like the sound play with EQ in the upper midrange and treble regions.

PrinceCharming is offline PrinceCharming

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should I just go get an EQ and go active? I will be running this set with a PPI P900.4. I really have no idea how I would wire up an EQ or processor.

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Biggest concern is the DCR of the replacement tweeter as the values of every component in series and parallel with it were designed for the original driver. Any DCR other than a very close match to the original driver will provide a different crossover point and will likely cause overlap or dips (the woofer's cross point will remain static), ultimately causing phase issues which will destroy any harmony/coherency you enjoyed with the stock set. What's tough to know is if the 4th order slope was achieved with a combination of the driver's natural roll off and the electrical filter, or if it's a true 4th order filter on a driver that actually plays much lower than that. As mentioned, sensitivity should play into your decision making as well. This can cause the same problems above relating to overlaps or dips forcing a different cross point.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

yep, best if you can see an impedance plot of the original tweeters. even 3/4" tweeters should be fine with that crossover point.

as long as the nominal impedance is the same, you are fine using different tweeters.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Closed Thread