Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Reload Thread: Who benefits from an Epicenter

  1. #1
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Who benefits from an Epicenter

    I was just looking around in the processor part of Crutchfield and saw the Epicenter bass restorer. Are these mostly for people who use speaker level inputs? Would there be a noticeable difference for me? I just have a pretty normal system. RCA from head unit to PAC bass knob, then out to a mono amp, then speaker wire from amp to sub. 99% of the time I'm playing 320kbps files (1% of the time it's Apple Lossless ~1100kbps). Would this improve my bass? I feel like I dont have a strong enough substage for it to make much of a difference. Maybe I do. Idk.... any input?







  2. #2
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is offline Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Langdon, ND
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    I've done a little bit of reading about the Epicenter. It came about when people were still listening to cassettes, and the music didn't have the low frequency extension by limitation of the recording media. I'm probably simplifying it or mangling it altogether but you can search Google about it if you want to learn more. Your digital music files are not lacking in bass unless they were recorded that way originally. If you need louder bass you need to add power, add or change subs, and look into a more efficient enclosure.




    Small town service, family owned and operated. See our new mobile friendly web site at www.513electronics.com
    Home to CDT Audio's Systems Design Specialist
    Our CDT Audio dealer store, Clarion,_JBL,_Pioneer,_RE_Audio,_DB Drive,_Metra,_T-Spec, perfect fit speaker kits for your vehicle
    My system: Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610 x 2, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, QES-1220 12" x 2, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill

  3. #3
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    Very misunderstood device and one of my all time favorites. It's strictly for fun but it can be beneficial, you just need gobs of power to make up for the demands it places. It's actually a synthesizer. It latches onto a frequency and throws in an artificially generated frequency one octave below that. Very simple. You control the amount of this effect by turning the knob. Works best (sounds better) when you use a much lower subsonic filter, something around 15hz. I believe it comes with 33hz fixed which is pretty high, but it's a safeguard against novice users. It will still thrash your drivers, though.



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  4. Likes BlurredVision liked this post
  5. #4
    BlurredVision's Avatar
    BlurredVision is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Very misunderstood device and one of my all time favorites. It's strictly for fun but it can be beneficial, you just need gobs of power to make up for the demands it places. It's actually a synthesizer. It latches onto a frequency and throws in an artificially generated frequency one octave below that. Very simple. You control the amount of this effect by turning the knob. Works best (sounds better) when you use a much lower subsonic filter, something around 15hz. I believe it comes with 33hz fixed which is pretty high, but it's a safeguard against novice users. It will still thrash your drivers, though.
    people make this sound like its the speaker blower upper, but u say its probably from playing harder at below tuning?



    Current Vehicle: 2007 Ford Edge SEL

    Head Unit: JVC KW-AV61BT

    Time to rebuild. Gonna do it right this time

    Planning a SQL setup

  6. #5
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
    I've done a little bit of reading about the Epicenter. It came about when people were still listening to cassettes, and the music didn't have the low frequency extension by limitation of the recording media. I'm probably simplifying it or mangling it altogether but you can search Google about it if you want to learn more. Your digital music files are not lacking in bass unless they were recorded that way originally. If you need louder bass you need to add power, add or change subs, and look into a more efficient enclosure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Very misunderstood device and one of my all time favorites. It's strictly for fun but it can be beneficial, you just need gobs of power to make up for the demands it places. It's actually a synthesizer. It latches onto a frequency and throws in an artificially generated frequency one octave below that. Very simple. You control the amount of this effect by turning the knob. Works best (sounds better) when you use a much lower subsonic filter, something around 15hz. I believe it comes with 33hz fixed which is pretty high, but it's a safeguard against novice users. It will still thrash your drivers, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredVision View Post
    people make this sound like its the speaker blower upper, but u say its probably from playing harder at below tuning?
    So it really doesnt have much of a practical application nowadays? It just is kind of a novelty that makes bass lower than it should be? (Which would be kinda fun, once in a while).




  7. #6
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredVision View Post
    people make this sound like its the speaker blower upper, but u say its probably from playing harder at below tuning?
    It is definitely a 'speaker blower upper' in the hands of an unskilled user, lol. It throws in very low frequencies so people who are tuned high should not even consider it.



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  8. #7
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    So it really doesnt have much of a practical application nowadays? It just is kind of a novelty that makes bass lower than it should be? (Which would be kinda fun, once in a while).
    Oh, it has a practical application. Anything that's light in the ass for low frequencies will benefit from it. It's just not accurate in the sense that it's not how the artist recorded the music. Definitely worth having.



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  9. #8
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Oh, it has a practical application. Anything that's light in the ass for low frequencies will benefit from it. It's just not accurate in the sense that it's not how the artist recorded the music. Definitely worth having.
    Would my arrrgg on 500rms benefit? The box is tuned to 33hz.




  10. #9
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    Would my arrrgg on 500rms benefit? The box is tuned to 33hz.
    They work best with drivers that have lots of mechanical and thermal headroom. In fact, headroom is the keyword here. You can't expect to be running hard, nearing your 500w output and then throw in a synthesized, line-driven frequency generator without any mechanical or thermal headroom left. See where I'm going with this?



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  11. #10
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    They work best with drivers that have lots of mechanical and thermal headroom. In fact, headroom is the keyword here. You can't expect to be running hard, nearing your 500w output and then throw in a synthesized, line-driven frequency generator without any mechanical or thermal headroom left. See where I'm going with this?
    So you're saying no. And it would work well on a substage that has an overpowered amp with the gain turned down and high rms sub?




  12. #11
    BlurredVision's Avatar
    BlurredVision is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Who benefits from an Epicenter

    so I'm imagining something like a smd 15 on a 2500 amp tuned to like 28-30 Hz? The key is headroom



    Current Vehicle: 2007 Ford Edge SEL

    Head Unit: JVC KW-AV61BT

    Time to rebuild. Gonna do it right this time

    Planning a SQL setup

Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 01:32 AM
  2. Who has ordered an enclosure from Subthump.com?
    By Trancer in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
  3. From an RF to a JL Amp
    By rgclakers in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2003, 10:07 AM
  4. Who has busted an audio thief?
    By jeepracer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2002, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum