Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Reload Thread: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

  1. #1
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon32 First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    First post here! I know a decent amount about car audio, but i have some questions i cant seem to get a straight answer on, or maybe im misunderstanding some things. I've been doing a lotttt of forum reading on all these, but i still have some questions and i'm seeking some opinions on them pertaining to my setup.

    Vehicle
    2004 Grand Cherokee (WJ) with a base model system factory. (136 AMP Alt, stock)

    My plans-
    Headunit
    Already have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT from my Mustang and i will be listening to the radio on it occasionally, but mostly good quality CD's and a lot of Pandora(3.5mm jack) and IPod(proper connector). It has (3) 5v RCA outs (Front, Rear, and Sub).

    Front
    Polk MM-series 6x9 3way OR Polk Component MM-series 6.5, UNDECIDED.
    Some sort of replacement for the dash tweeters, or just run the Component's tweets up there?

    Rear
    Polk DXI-series 6.5 2ways
    (pretty sold on using Polk speakers)

    4 Channel Amp
    Already have a Polk PA-660 that i got a good deal with Best Buy. I try to stay away from BB for car audio, but it was an undamaged, unused open box item, i had gift cards and reward certs and it made the purchase veryyy cheap, plus got a 2yr replacement warranty.

    Subs
    Already have a new pair of RE Audio SE12-D4's (the old school versions) that will be wired at 1ohm/1500watts and put in a custom sealed box that will be built by a local shop that does great work.

    Sub Amp
    US Amps XT4000D

    Wiring
    I think i will be using a Tsunami 2AWG wire, into a Tsunami distribution block sending out 4awg to the amps (and maybe other things, depending on answers to questions coming up). I think ill be using KnuKonceptz 12 gauge speaker wire, and 10gauge for the subs speaker wire.

    Okay, so here's my goals:
    I'm aiming for pretty good SQ on an average budget, and slowly accumulating parts.. It's a daily driver and i wont be doing any serious competitions. I listen to mostly Rock, Metal, Ska, and a good bit of bassy rap and "dubstep", and on occasion, country and symphony orchestra...haha

    Questions
    -Should i go with the nice 6x9s, or are the component speakers worth the extra money for this setup?

    -What should i do about the dash speakers/tweeters? Can i run those off just the H/U or will it conflict?

    -The MM-series of Polk are 2.7ohm and my 4ch amp can run 2 or 4 ohm... how do i wire the crossovers to the amp properly for that?

    -Signal processors- Are they worth it on this setup? I cant figure out if these are just for stock-H/U's or if they really help with SQ with a aftermarket H/U. I'm not looking to buy one of the ridiculous priced $800 ones, but looking in the $300 range if they are worth it. I thought the Epicenter Plus looked good, but then again, i dont really know exactly what i'm looking at, and didnt like that it didnt use RCAs.

    -The sub box i seem to have settled on a proper sealed box, firing down as sealed is great for SQ, I dont want to use up all my cargo area, and i want the subs to be protected. Another option is a subs down, port back, ported box, tuned around 33-35..but idk how well that will do for SQ..


    I'm sure i'll have more questions in the future, but these are the current big ones. I tried to put links for all the pieces, but i'm limited to how many URL's i can post i guess..
    I appreciate any answers/opinions i get, and thank you!







  2. #2
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Anybody?




  3. #3
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    What are we doin in here?




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  4. #4
    Tenacious's Avatar
    Tenacious is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lebanon, TN
    Posts
    542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post

    Questions
    -Should i go with the nice 6x9s, or are the component speakers worth the extra money for this setup?

    -What should i do about the dash speakers/tweeters? Can i run those off just the H/U or will it conflict?

    -The MM-series of Polk are 2.7ohm and my 4ch amp can run 2 or 4 ohm... how do i wire the crossovers to the amp properly for that?

    -Signal processors- Are they worth it on this setup? I cant figure out if these are just for stock-H/U's or if they really help with SQ with a aftermarket H/U. I'm not looking to buy one of the ridiculous priced $800 ones, but looking in the $300 range if they are worth it. I thought the Epicenter Plus looked good, but then again, i dont really know exactly what i'm looking at, and didnt like that it didnt use RCAs.

    -The sub box i seem to have settled on a proper sealed box, firing down as sealed is great for SQ, I dont want to use up all my cargo area, and i want the subs to be protected. Another option is a subs down, port back, ported box, tuned around 33-35..but idk how well that will do for SQ..


    I'm sure i'll have more questions in the future, but these are the current big ones. I tried to put links for all the pieces, but i'm limited to how many URL's i can post i guess..
    I appreciate any answers/opinions i get, and thank you!
    1. I'd go for the components. You don't really need a 3 way speaker if you have a sub.

    2. I'd disconnect the dash speakers and mount the component's tweeters where the stock tweeters are. Later on you could look into replacing the dash speakers if you wanted to, but it's probably not neccessary

    3. Wire like you normally would? Just set your amps gain to give the proper amount of power

    4. You probably won't need a signal processor. Install everything else first and see if you like how it sounds.

    5. Sealed would be fine, ported would be louder. A good ported box doesn't sacrifice SQ, however you will lose some of your 60-80Hz output being tuned at 33-35 Hz (which is a good tuning for your music taste)

    Other comments:

    I'd set the LPF on the sub amp to about 80Hz and the HPF on the mids/highs amp to the same.




  5. #5
    brandonkain82's Avatar
    brandonkain82 is offline your mom goes to college



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    frankfort,il
    Age
    31
    Posts
    711
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    Anybody?
    U got to give it time kid. U will get your anwsers but not overnight. So sit back and relax



    2 smd fifteens on 2 b2 m1s. 8 crossfire mids and 4 aq tweets on 3 b2 qautros. 270 mechman. 10 c and d batts. Busting windshields like its my job.

  6. Thanks av83 thanked for this post
  7. #6
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    What was stated pretty well takes care of that... Sounds like your going for more of a loud daily setup though OP not pure SQ




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  8. #7
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
    1. I'd go for the components. You don't really need a 3 way speaker if you have a sub.

    2. I'd disconnect the dash speakers and mount the component's tweeters where the stock tweeters are. Later on you could look into replacing the dash speakers if you wanted to, but it's probably not neccessary

    3. You probably won't need a signal processor. Install everything else first and see if you like how it sounds.

    4. Sealed would be fine, ported would be louder. A good ported box doesn't sacrifice SQ, however you will lose some of your 60-80Hz output being tuned at 33-35 Hz (which is a good tuning for your music taste)
    Appreciate the reply!
    For a ported box, will port back and subs downfiring still sound good? I plan on sound deadening most of the rear cargo area, sides, hatch and doors..

    What should i do for the rear speakers? Are they really very important, or should i get low-middle level 6.5" 2-ways like i planned and call it good? I know most people shoot for front stage, but I will have passengers..




  9. #8
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    Appreciate the reply!
    For a ported box, will port back and subs downfiring still sound good? I plan on sound deadening most of the rear cargo area, sides, hatch and doors..

    What should i do for the rear speakers? Are they really very important, or should i get low-middle level 6.5" 2-ways like i planned and call it good? I know most people shoot for front stage, but I will have passengers..
    Why down firing? Cheap 6.5's is fine...




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  10. #9
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by brandonkain82 View Post
    U got to give it time kid. U will get your anwsers but not overnight. So sit back and relax
    Sorry, these have been bugging me and i was hoping for quite a few replies and answers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    What was stated pretty well takes care of that... Sounds like your going for more of a loud daily setup though OP not pure SQ
    What makes it more loud/less SQ? Curious what i could do differently..




  11. #10
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    Sorry, these have been bugging me and i was hoping for quite a few replies and answers!


    What makes it more loud/less SQ? Curious what i could do differently..
    It should sound decent if the install is done correctly just not really a pure SQ setup...




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  12. #11
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    Why down firing? Cheap 6.5's is fine...
    Pretty much purely for the protection of the subs and hiding them a little from outside view.
    It's my daily driver, and between trips to the range, tools, gear for riding and such, i just want to worry less about them. So that, in my mind, makes firing them back sort of an issue, and firing up could be troublesome due to the dogs and passengers as well as being visible to potential thieves. Concealed carry does me no good when i'm not by my vehicle. haha




  13. #12
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    Pretty much purely for the protection of the subs and hiding them a little from outside view.
    It's my daily driver, and between trips to the range, tools, gear for riding and such, i just want to worry less about them. So that, in my mind, makes firing them back sort of an issue, and firing up could be troublesome due to the dogs and passengers as well as being visible to potential thieves. Concealed carry does me no good when i'm not by my vehicle. haha
    Fair enough... Probably not a bad idea then




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  14. #13
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    It should sound decent if the install is done correctly just not really a pure SQ setup...
    I guess i could see that. Compared to some of the other builds i've seen, my $1k in parts isnt anything special.
    SQ is a bit more important to me than SPL, i guess.




  15. #14
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    What BnR is getting at is that the components you're selecting are more of a Daily Driver setup. An SQ setup normally includes a head unit with active processing or an external processor and a different choice in components. Also, there's considerably more time taken into driver placement than trying to shoehorn things into stock locations. Thing is, new Polk and new RE are not nearly what they used to be. Those MM comps are not like the SRs of the past in any way, shape, or form.

    If you give us a total budget, we can definitely help you out, though. And by help, guys, I don't mean pimp out your own equipment *ahem*

    ***emphasis on normally because I know there's SQ setups out there with no processing whatsoever, so please do not try and dig up counterpoints. Just keeping things simple...***



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  16. #15
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    I guess i could see that. Compared to some of the other builds i've seen, my $1k in parts isnt anything special.
    SQ is a bit more important to me than SPL, i guess.
    Im sure you will be happy with it depending on what you have listened too

    ---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    What BnR is getting at is that the components you're selecting are more of a Daily Driver setup. An SQ setup normally includes a head unit with active processing or an external processor and a different choice in components. Also, there's considerably more time taken into driver placement than trying to shoehorn things into stock locations. Thing is, new Polk and new RE are not nearly what they used to be. Those MM comps are not like the SRs of the past in any way, shape, or form.

    If you give us a total budget, we can definitely help you out, though. And by help, guys, I don't mean pimp out your own equipment *ahem*
    Yep thats what I was getting at




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. opinions on my current setup
    By reed dollaz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 11:26 AM
  2. Opinions On My future Setup...
    By revrider1 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-13-2007, 04:21 PM
  3. Opinions on my options for SQ requested. Detailed info enclosed.
    By PollyCranopolis in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 07:51 AM
  4. Opinions on my cheapo setup
    By 99StangGt in forum Speakers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 11:23 AM
  5. aw1206t give me opinions on my setup!!!
    By vosschs in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 10:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum