Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

Reload Thread: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

  1. #16
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    OP, you've got a huge space advantage in that Grand Cherokee. Let us know how we can help, but I would honestly scrap 90 percent of what you've got listed right now.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  2. Likes av83 liked this post



  3. #17
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    What BnR is getting at is that the components you're selecting are more of a Daily Driver setup. An SQ setup normally includes a head unit with active processing or an external processor and a different choice in components. Also, there's considerably more time taken into driver placement than trying to shoehorn things into stock locations. Thing is, new Polk and new RE are not nearly what they used to be. Those MM comps are not like the SRs of the past in any way, shape, or form.

    If you give us a total budget, we can definitely help you out, though. And by help, guys, I don't mean pimp out your own equipment *ahem*
    Agh, okay. Speaker wise, i dont want to go over 350. I already have my amps, subs and h/u. My SE12's are from around 2009- new, in box.

    I thought my H/U had processing, but I also asked about processors as i dont quite understand if they fit my application. It was suggested i didnt really need one, but if you think that would be a good help, i'm definitely open to suggestions.




  4. #18
    momax_powers's Avatar
    momax_powers is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    also Knu 12 gauge is wayy overkill for your front and rear speakers...remember the power coming from the amp is AC not DC....16awg is more than enough 14 max especially if its knu...a lot easier to fish the wire through aswell




  5. Likes av83 liked this post
  6. #19
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    You did good on the amps. That Polk isn't shabby at all for its size and the older RE subs performed pretty dang decent. As for the speakers, definitely think you should nix the idea of going Polk. Their tweeters are god-awfully harsh unless the install is PERFECT. Have you considered having only a front stage so you can up your budget for the comps?



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  7. #20
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    And on the processor end, you're right. I looked up some info on it and you do have AutoEQ and AutoTA which will make setup a million times easier, so no need for an external processor. Keep that as long as it runs.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  8. #21
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    [QUOTE=Bettr n' Revrse;8314754]Im sure you will be happy with it depending on what you have listened too[COLOR="Silver"]
    And that's where the issue is, there isnt much SQ around here. At least, the people i know.. Most people think a "system" is a set of Duals from Best Buy and turned to max....

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    OP, you've got a huge space advantage in that Grand Cherokee. Let us know how we can help, but I would honestly scrap 90 percent of what you've got listed right now.
    Ultimately, i dont want to use up all my cargo area or hack up door panels. I'm trying to not buy all new equipment, but again, i'm open to suggestions. I guess i mostly need help with speakers and amp (could sell my Polk PA660)




  9. #22
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    [QUOTE=lameduck;8314781]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    And that's where the issue is, there isnt much SQ around here. At least, the people i know.. Most people think a "system" is a set of Duals from Best Buy and turned to max....
    That's why forums like this exist. There's enough SQ guys here to keep you on the right track.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  10. #23
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    Ultimately, i dont want to use up all my cargo area or hack up door panels. I'm trying to not buy all new equipment, but again, i'm open to suggestions. I guess i mostly need help with speakers and amp (could sell my Polk PA660)
    Like I said before, you're fine with the amp you mentioned. Just keep your eyes on relatively efficient speakers. Not changing your rear speakers and letting them run off HU power will allow you to devote your $350 speaker budget to some really solid drivers/comp sets. That's a very good price point to be at.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  11. #24
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    You did good on the amps. That Polk isn't shabby at all for its size and the older RE subs performed pretty dang decent. As for the speakers, definitely think you should nix the idea of going Polk. Their tweeters are god-awfully harsh unless the install is PERFECT. Have you considered having only a front stage so you can up your budget for the comps?
    I'd really prefer to have rear speakers because i do have passengers frequently.. Once i get my taxes back, i will be doing all the purchases, so i have time. I could probably do $450 on speakers..

    Quote Originally Posted by momax_powers View Post
    also Knu 12 gauge is wayy overkill for your front and rear speakers...remember the power coming from the amp is AC not DC....16awg is more than enough 14 max especially if its knu...a lot easier to fish the wire through aswell
    Got it, thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    And on the processor end, you're right. I looked up some info on it and you do have AutoEQ and AutoTA which will make setup a million times easier, so no need for an external processor. Keep that as long as it runs.
    Good, cause i really like this deck. haha. I've had it in my foxbody for the past two years and every spring when i get it out of storage, it's like seeing an old friend..




  12. #25
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    I'd really prefer to have rear speakers because i do have passengers frequently.. Once i get my taxes back, i will be doing all the purchases, so i have time. I could probably do $450 on speakers..
    I'd still recommend leaving your rear speakers stock and focusing on the front stage. I drive with passengers all the time in my VW and two government vehicles ('09 G6 and '10 Caravan), all of which have either no rear speakers or are faded completely to the front. I have yet to hear a single complaint.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  13. #26
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Like I said before, you're fine with the amp you mentioned. Just keep your eyes on relatively efficient speakers. Not changing your rear speakers and letting them run off HU power will allow you to devote your $350 speaker budget to some really solid drivers/comp sets. That's a very good price point to be at.
    Will running the stock speakers off the HU affect Sound quality overall or make tuning harder?




  14. #27
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Brand/model recommendations would be appreciated?




  15. #28
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    Will running the stock speakers off the HU affect Sound quality overall or make tuning harder?
    The AutoTA should help out a ton with that, but IIRC, the active-capable Pioneer HUs also have level attenuation, so you can dial them back to the point where if you're not in the rear seats, you won't even know they're there.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  16. #29
    lameduck's Avatar
    lameduck is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    The AutoTA should help out a ton with that, but IIRC, the active-capable Pioneer HUs also have level attenuation, so you can dial them back to the point where if you're not in the rear seats, you won't even know they're there.
    The level attenuation, is that where you plug a mic in and it adjust levels while it plays, or am i totally wrong and need to do some reading?




  17. #30
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: First post- opinions on my potential setup. SQ, Processors, components, Jeep.

    That would be the AutoEQ/AutoTA. Level attenuation should be a setting where you can go driver by driver and tune their volumes down individually. It's really easy to access in my Eclipse. Makes tuning without AutoEQ/AutoTA a breeze.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. opinions on my current setup
    By reed dollaz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 11:26 AM
  2. Opinions On My future Setup...
    By revrider1 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-13-2007, 04:21 PM
  3. Opinions on my options for SQ requested. Detailed info enclosed.
    By PollyCranopolis in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 07:51 AM
  4. Opinions on my cheapo setup
    By 99StangGt in forum Speakers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 11:23 AM
  5. aw1206t give me opinions on my setup!!!
    By vosschs in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 10:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum