Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Reload Thread: epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

  1. #31
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    I wasn't really talking about how fast the driver forces air in and out of a vent (which is a wide open area, not was I was asking you to picture), I was mainly addressing structural integrity and sealed enclosures to discuss the principal idea here, MDF being porous or not. My guess is if you wanted to get into surface roughness, drag coefficients for the various types, and wind speed as it pertains to laminar air flow, you would still be a off a bit in your thinking.
    I don't bother thinking I build, test, and learn from that. Too many scientifice principles that make sense on paper, but don't transfer over to the real world when it comes to car audio.

    Touching upon surface roughness I've done bare birch boxes and some coated with resin and sanded up to 1500grit and waxed. Sometimes you gain .1 - .2 on the meter and sometimes you don't. And you would never hear that little of a difference by ear...




  2. Likes ciaonzo liked this post



  3. #32
    akadj's Avatar
    akadj is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta CANADA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Sometimes you gain .1 - .2 on the meter and sometimes you don't. And you would never hear that little of a difference by ear...
    in my case as related to this thread you probably wouldn't want to hear it by ear cuz it sounds like garbage! box/wall is tuned to 60Hz 10 cuhes with a 220sq" port




  4. #33
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

    Re: epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    I don't bother thinking I build, test, and learn from that. Too many scientifice principles that make sense on paper, but don't transfer over to the real world when it comes to car audio.

    Touching upon surface roughness I've done bare birch boxes and some coated with resin and sanded up to 1500grit and waxed. Sometimes you gain .1 - .2 on the meter and sometimes you don't. And you would never hear that little of a difference by ear...
    Yeah, I hear you. Trial and error is king. Myself, I probably wouldn't bother with much other than some sanding and a coat of resin inside for my applications. The glass in the corners is a great idea, too. Might try that next time.



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  5. #34
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. Trial and error is king. Myself, I probably wouldn't bother with much other than some sanding and a coat of resin inside for my applications. The glass in the corners is a great idea, too. Might try that next time.
    No reason to glass corners. If I wanted strength I'd add a small 45 wood glued in place. Of course that can help or hurt score also, but again nothing you'd hear...




  6. #35
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

    Quote Originally Posted by akadj View Post
    in my case as related to this thread you probably wouldn't want to hear it by ear cuz it sounds like garbage! box/wall is tuned to 60Hz 10 cuhes with a 220sq" port
    Ugh, I prefer loud musical set ups. I've played music with boxes/walls tuned around 42-43Hz and they still sounded fine. Not sure about 60Hz though....




  7. #36
    akadj's Avatar
    akadj is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta CANADA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: epoxy resin vs polyester resin sealing inside subwoofer box

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Ugh, I prefer loud musical set ups. I've played music with boxes/walls tuned around 42-43Hz and they still sounded fine. Not sure about 60Hz though....
    yeah this car is set up for spl only.. not daily driver.. and adding the resin is not for construction strength to keep the box together. . its glued, screwed, double layer wood, and has threaded steel rod for bracing.




Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Resin the inside of box?
    By Cali_Screw in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 09:57 AM
  2. Resin vs. Non-Resin test (spl results inside)
    By PSturmer in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 08:43 PM
  3. should I use resin inside of box
    By fatboyracing in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 12:57 AM
  4. ? on sealing inside of box....
    By el rafa in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 03:48 PM
  5. Epoxy vs. Polyester
    By Cajundude in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum