Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How to support roof?

Spldecendant is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How to support roof?

I'm getting alot of flex espically the roof. So I'm gonna go ahead and take down the headlinear now my question is what's the best way to support the roof because welding brace bars are outta the question cause I'm scared of the paint chipping on the outside. I was thinking cutting out the stock braces and getting steal brace bars and possibly there's a glue I could use?

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Re: How to support roof?

you can cut ribs out of 3/4" layers of MDF that match the roof line and silicone them in place. then you can create a flat surface to make a new, stronger headliner.

note that you will need to throughly clean the metal surfaces first. silicone is an excellent adhesive.

another option is cold-weld products and square metal tubes.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    you can cut ribs out of 3/4" layers of MDF that match the roof line and silicone them in place. then you can create a flat surface to make a new, stronger headliner.

note that you will need to throughly clean the metal surfaces first. silicone is an excellent adhesive.

another option is cold-weld products and square metal tubes.
    Now should I have a cage build side to side and front to front I'm thinking 8 side to side and like 3 front to back. And how thick of square steal would you do so my stock headliner can fit over it and could you feed me in more on the cold weld products?

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Say goodbye to the stock headliner. You need extra thickness for stiffness... To be effective anyway.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

momax_powers is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

have you tried using any marketed sound mats/vibration dampeners? damplifier,alphadamp, dynamat, audiotechnix etc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by momax_powers View Post
    have you tried using any marketed sound mats/vibration dampeners? damplifier,alphadamp, dynamat, audiotechnix etc
    Yes I currently have second skin in there 1 layer but I want it to be stronger it still flexes like crazy the newer cars nowadays are not build like they used to be lol

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

As keep_hope_alive has mentioned..the thick MDF will be very Riggid, and can be covered to look nice in appearance if time taken such as
    1 Yard Professional Grade Auto Trim Interior Vinyl 54 x 36 Charcoal | eBay
    hot Glued on/LocTite and rolled on to adhere,You can use Plywood too if you want

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    As keep_hope_alive has mentioned..the thick MDF will be very Riggid, and can be covered to look nice in appearance if time taken such as
    1 Yard Professional Grade Auto Trim Interior Vinyl 54 x 36 Charcoal | eBay
    hot Glued on/LocTite and rolled on to adhere
    It's a 2011 Tahoe I wanna keep the stock headliner and I think my second skin already is 1inch thick is it possible I can layer it or that's bassicly it

KTMrida4life is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Try Alphadamp. Some say it works wonders for roof flex

1995 Nissan 240SX 5 speed , 37k original miles
    -Headunit: JVC AHD-69
    -Speakers: Polk Audio DB6501 comps
    -Speaker amp: Diamond D104 old school SQ made in USA, running active on the polks ^^
    -Sub: D4 SA12 in a 1.7~cube box tuned to 33
    -Sub amp: Sundown SAZ 3k @ 2 ohms
    -Electrical: 115A Nissan quest alt, Big 3 with 1/0, C&D 75ah under hood, Power 102aH in trunk.
    -Trunk, doors, and rear deck w/ AT 60mil. Doors are sealed. Trunk lid deadened with great stuff + SS Spectrum. Roof also done with SS Spectrum

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spldecendant View Post
    It's a 2011 Tahoe I wanna keep the stock headliner and I think my second skin already is 1inch thick is it possible I can layer it or that's bassicly it
    You may have to go to a headliner place, and get them to custom build one for you,to make it look as stock as possible,if you want it to look flawless.They could do it in a days time, and may cost you $400 bucks, but it would be done right, and get some kind of warranty with the final product.Keeping it stock looking, and Clean,and working for you all at the same time,and stress free on your end, will be worth the money spent.Modifications..They never seem to end and always baffle us to stress..LOL.You keep spending money on this and that loads of different damping, and more than likely have the same issue due to no real support,to keep from flexing.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

MDF or solid hardwood around 3/4" thick. Or whatever will be flush with your factory roof supports. Also make sure the welds on those haven't broken.

I use PL Premium glue to attach the wood to the roof. You can also use chop mat to fill in the seams where the wood meets the roof braces if necessary. All of this should fit under your factory headliner.

I've had issues with MDF and birch delaminating as there was still some slight flex. That's why I suggested a solid hardwood. Really depends upon how loud the vehicle is though.

Closed Thread