Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Reload Thread: Obsidian audio subwoofers

Electrodynamic is offline Knows nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Obsidian audio subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Great budget subwoofers. Get V2s. The V1s lack proper cooling.
    By "lacking proper cooling" you mean the fact that they pull in air around the coil and expel it out the pole vent? Is that "advanced cooling"? Perhaps. It depends on what you judge it on. But does that immediately mean that it "lacks proper cooling?" No. Testing has shown that the Obsidian method of cooling has proven to be very good...especially for the money. If you don't know how/why air flows around a coil it's a bit of a stretch to say that we don't have "proper cooling" even on our v1's.

Quote Originally Posted by 05trailblazer View Post
    [COLOR="Silver"]Get flxxx subs they the shiz
    That's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Durango03 View Post
    Can I point out that:

the owner of Obsidian is also the co-owner of another similar brand (which is alluding me at the moment) and also an associate with Sundown owned by Jacob who designed the manufacturing line for Skar owned by Kevin. 4 same brands with different names (though jacob is starting to pull away from the cookie cutter subs these guys have built upon).. you cant really go wrong with any of them for a decently priced mid-level sub.
    As previously stated Stereo Integrity is the name you are looking for. Sundown Audio, Skar Audio, Obsidian Audio, and Stereo Integrity are NOT four of the same brands with different names. If you took a look at what each woofer was, how it was put together, and what the parameters are you would not say that...at all. I have owned Stereo Integrity for thirteen years now and it is not anything that you have eluded to in any way, shape, or form. Fact is better than fiction.

Electrodynamic
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero."
    Owner Stereo Integrity
    Co-owner Obsidian Car Audio
    Associate Sundown Audio
    Simon Eichenberger is my hero
    Power handling is not a power requirement! Don't install suckage!

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWGolfMKVI View Post
    Thats good to know. But the new Obsidian V2's are 3" as well. Do you have personal experience with the IA 15? If so, how much over RMS will it handle?
    1k easily and one of the nicest sounding subs i have ever heard. and from what i know its still 2.5 inch coil on that. they put in flared gap vents for cooling

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
    By "lacking proper cooling" you mean the fact that they pull in air around the coil and expel it out the pole vent? Is that "advanced cooling"? Perhaps. It depends on what you judge it on. But does that immediately mean that it "lacks proper cooling?" No. Testing has shown that the Obsidian method of cooling has proven to be very good...especially for the money. If you don't know how/why air flows around a coil it's a bit of a stretch to say that we don't have "proper cooling" even on our v1's.

That's for sure.

As previously stated Stereo Integrity is the name you are looking for. Sundown Audio, Skar Audio, Obsidian Audio, and Stereo Integrity are NOT four of the same brands with different names. If you took a look at what each woofer was, how it was put together, and what the parameters are you would not say that...at all. I have owned Stereo Integrity for thirteen years now and it is not anything that you have eluded to in any way, shape, or form. Fact is better than fiction.
    are the new v2's built with 3" coils

VWGolfMKVI is offline StarrMountainSoundNutHugr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Edit: Answered my own question...see below

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclerico83 View Post
    1k easily and one of the nicest sounding subs i have ever heard. and from what i know its still 2.5 inch coil on that. they put in flared gap vents for cooling

Looks like your right. I was just on their website and it still shows 2.5"VC. Someone told me they were 3" but I don't know for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Okay, correction on my part. just went to another site for the Obsidian forum. And it is the same soft parts as version 1 "the "v2" version which will be upgraded from the previous woofers with flared gap vents (better voice coil cooling), larger speaker terminals (easier wiring), and a gold metallic printed dust cap (looks better)."

Durango03 is offline Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You are correct Sir, there are SLIGHT differences between each of the subs parameters, and Sundown is notorious for Jacobs cooling designs that are not seen on other subs. TBH the only things I know about SI is what I have seen and read on the forums. Ive never held one.. but my comments still stand. And its not like I attempted to persuade him to look elsewhere. I told him he could NOT go wrong with any of those brands what put money in your pocket (minus skar I suppose).. But I do apologize 1,000times. I will bite my tongue next time instead of recommending any of your products.

HeadUnit: sold Front Stage: 6.5 skar vxi65 + IA i65c + DB drive pro tweets Highs Amp: sold Sub Stage: all sold Sub Amp: sold Box: Wall @ ~30cu.ft. Electrical: 100ft 2/0 welding wire + 75ft 1/0 Audio Technix + 2 C&D 140's
    Deadener: 100sq.ft. Audio Technix 60mil

References (sold, bought): Winkychevelle, SKARaudio x2, Patthehat033, Mazdakid, Ten_ton_bass, GAMEOVERCCA, Horsemanwill, Boomsday, Zellner, g6ryder x2, Moble Enclosurs (Box design), Goodstuff, Bread0710, dgaf, Cat Man, and many more (MAF, CACO, & ebay references available as well [110+ transactions])

8. Likes Popwarhomie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Durango03 View Post
    You are correct Sir, there are SLIGHT differences between each of the subs parameters, and Sundown is notorious for Jacobs cooling designs that are not seen on other subs. TBH the only things I know about SI is what I have seen and read on the forums. Ive never held one.. but my comments still stand. And its not like I attempted to persuade him to look elsewhere. I told him he could NOT go wrong with any of those brands what put money in your pocket (minus skar I suppose).. But I do apologize 1,000times. I will bite my tongue next time instead of recommending any of your products.
    Apology accepted. [And note that when you look further into the subwoofers/companies that you have grouped into being the same but with different names - note the Obsidian 15" D2 and the Stereo Integrity 15" HT D2 - you will notice substantial differences in performance]. Just be sure to get your facts straight next time before touting erroneous ill-formed statements. Just because I am friends with Jacob and he is friends with me does not mean that he designs subs for me nor does it mean that I design subs for him. But you can not recommend my subwoofers all you want if the facts, instead of fiction, rub you the wrong way.

Electrodynamic
    Owner Stereo Integrity
    Associate Sundown Audio

10. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post
    Likes dasubmasta liked this post
    Popwarhomie is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Im no expert on subwoofers. Im just saying they needed better cooling. Obviously you guys thought so too as I can see with the V2s.

1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus
    Pioneer 80PRS (3 way active)/(Walled) (2) DC lvl3 18's/AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)AQ Promids/(4)AQ supertweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/Deka 100AH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWGolfMKVI View Post
    Okay, correction on my part. just went to another site for the Obsidian forum. And it is the same soft parts as version 1 "the "v2" version which will be upgraded from the previous woofers with flared gap vents (better voice coil cooling), larger speaker terminals (easier wiring), and a gold metallic printed dust cap (looks better)."
    Exactly. The v2's utlize the same 2.5" 40mm ww coil but with the addition of gap vents and a slightly revised gap dimension. The end result is slightly better voice coil cooling.

We tried for a metallic copper printed dust cap and got a few sample dust caps that were fairly close. But overseas it is apparently impossible to convey the color copper to anything. The "copper" printed samples we received a year ago were very close to gold and gold printing is a LOT easier on the eyes than yellow is so that is where we stand. The final product looks better and doesn't cost a whole lot more. And we didn't pass on any of the cost to the customer. So to the customer it's a win-win.

Electrodynamic
    Owner Stereo Integrity
    Associate Sundown Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Im no expert on subwoofers. Im just saying they needed better cooling. Obviously you guys thought so too as I can see with the V2s.
    You're right. Based on the most advanced voice coil cooling we are aware of (AFACT cooling) our cooling is not at that level. But compared to most of the other offerings in the same price range I feel that our cooling method, and effectiveness, is above par.

Electrodynamic
    Owner Stereo Integrity
    Associate Sundown Audio

Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brandonkain82 View Post
    So help me out with where to search please
    guys on forums are just too smart for their own good, they are great subs in my opinion for the price & quality though

Mixing my martial Arts

15. Thanks brandonkain82 thanked for this post
    Likes brandonkain82 liked this post
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Sounds like a couple people don't know how to use the search feature... I would do a simple write up but it would be pointless cuz as soon as it was off the top 15 it would be lost in the vast unknown where threads go to die never to be read again

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Very solid subs for the $$$ if put in a good enclosure. I've done a single 15 set up and a 10 18 set up. Also have a 12 15 set up on my team.

Build a decent box, don't use some prefab junk and you'll be very happy with how they perform.

18. Likes brandonkain82 liked this post
    brandonkain82 is offline your mom goes to college

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I would like to thank all of you for your help. I ordered two oa fifteens last night. Now I have some dd sundown and aq I need to let go of. If anyone wants gove me a holla.

2 smd fifteens on 2 b2 m1s. 8 crossfire mids and 4 aq tweets on 3 b2 qautros. 270 mechman. 10 c and d batts. Busting windshields like its my job.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4