Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Thinking of opening up a shop.

bumppinKota is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Thinking of opening up a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by myjaja View Post
    I wouldnt do that. Youre going to get both type of customers that want to pay, and that want to pay. Id do both, custom and prefab.

i would do this. offer both. maybe even do comparisons for customers. thats my plan when i open a shop in the future. after i win the lotto

2. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post

MutantDreams is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Some people are saying drop Sony, dont neccesarly do that. Sure i would never run a Sony single din in my car, but that dosnt mean my dad/mom/friends on a budget wouldn't. Just find out the prices for the radios. What you can get them at based off your demand. What dosnt work for you might work for someone else. You should be set as long as you don't just order cheap stuff. You are looking into some good brands, you have the underground scene covered, if people know what they are looking for you are set, but you don't want a n00b coming in and thinking you have garbage just because he has never heard of them. To fix that you will need to carry some mainstream crap. Money is money, and the stupid kids money is just as valuable as anyone else's.

4. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post
    Likes macsdad liked this post
    Thumpersplbassx is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm taking notes on this and really appreciate it from all of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Honestly its all gonna be down to what you decide to sell, just remember you have to give people a reason to go to you. Best way to do this is be nice, if someone comes in with some crazy stories about what thier buddy said, dont just tell them no, educate them. If you can explain the basics to them it makes it easier to sell bigger products. You will be able to tell who will budge and who won't, just be respectful of thier decision. If they come in wanting to "beat the block down" but only have $500 lower thier expectations. But on that same coin, you might put a single 12 on 400w and they think its the coolest **** ever. So always find out what they want and work with them. If you upsellthem one time to make $30 more, you might have lost a customer who would come back and spend $500 more.

7. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mutant, that makes since too. I'll need a budget for everyone and would like to educate people that has no clue what type of system or whatever they're getting. Most local dealers push products on their customers and talk a load of crap just to make a sale. A lot of people don't know anything about there system when showing it off to their friends. They get pretty mad when you do a complete install and the labor and what not is $4-700 bucks.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpersplbassx View Post
    Oh! Another thing about the installs. Every box will be custom built none of these prefab boxes being used on even the basic setups.
    I worked at a shop ages ago and when an installer wasn't working on a car he would be knocking out a box in the wood-shop. "custom" boxes, but basically pre-fabbed in house. You can bang out a 2-3 cube box for short money in materials and nothing in labor if your guy is sitting around with his thumb up his arse waiting for an install anyway.

From what I've seen the small stuff is your bread and butter. Head units, door speakers, alarms/remote starts. If you have a guy that's really good at tinting you'll get a lot of business. Up my way the one shop that I like, the owner/installer knows jack about audio, but he is very skilled at installing (if that makes sense?) and tinting. Really I guess I'm saying being a good installer is mostly just being a good mechanic, being able to take things apart and put them together quickly without breaking stuff, and knowing where to find the right wires under the dash and in the kicks.

I just met with an old friend that owns a shop now in Florida. He has 9 employees and is really really busy. Even he only does a couple really crazy builds a year, and I'm willing to bet he didn't get 40,000$ job his first month in business.

Do some market research in your area and make sure you have a plan. Add 20-25% to whatever you think your expenses will be because there's invariably stuff you didn't consider that will sneak up on you.

What brand you will carry is the last of your worries. If people like you, they will buy from you, if you do good work as well, even better.

10. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Oh, don't forget about the crimps, primary wire, spades,loom, grommets etc.

12. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post
    double 07 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)

You have a chance to make it if you do SOLID work at reasonable prices and are good at selling yourself. In today's world with all of the internet based stores you will constantly be compared to them. The key is to be a straight forward solid installer and stand behind everything you do 150%. There will be some customers that will buy on the net regardless of your reputation and there are some that will buy from you always if you treat them right. Some people will pay a little more for items if they are getting great service and if they feel like you will handle any issue that comes up. The custom box thing is hit or miss. I would stock a few pre-fabs and offer customs if they want them. There are some people that are just NOT going to spend the money on a NICE custom enclosure. I chose personally to stay with the custom box industry and NOT get too deep into the product side of it. Good luck if you decide to go for it...

14. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post
    SPLaudio is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)

i had a part time shop but i only did comp worthy systems,starters and alarms. jobs went in my area and i closed. i refused to do those small systems and no prefabs, didnt care.
    if you want to stay open the cheaper stuff is where you make ur $. you want kids to be able to walk in and out with subs in a box for cheap.

find a good window tint guy first!!!
    reason i say this he can make you money inshop and also doing houses and business, lotttta cash there bro.
    2nd find urself a guy for remote starts there is ur other big $.
    you will have very few people dropping 2k plus for audio...

16. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post
    alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Make sure you cover all your bases. If you start worrying too much about the lines you carry and not enough about your financial end, you'll end up bankrupt before you're a year in.

Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2), big scott, bad @SS chevy

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Wish ya were in richmond! I say good luck and keep us updated if you decide to go through with the plans!

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

SomeguyinPDX is offline GunHappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh! Another thing about the installs. Every box will be custom built none of these prefab boxes being used on even the basic setups.
    REAL BAD IDEA!!!

To some degree you must put your passion for car audio aside, and focus on the dollar bills. That probably means pushing a bunch of cheap merchandise(along with the good stuff) to keep money coming in the door. Also have you looked at the specific dealership costs? (RF,JL,Sony, ect...) I'm not talking about dealer pricing, but the cost you have to pay the manufacturer up front to market their product? At my work (Hardware & tools) we just changed are lawn and garden tool brands, just to carry a different brand of chainsaws the initial dealership costs were (STIHL=$75,000/Husqvarna=$57,000) and that didn't include the "stock" just the rights to sell and all the dealer marketing material/Training (signs and displays). I'm sure the car audio cost won't be that high, but the more brands you carry the more fee's. Also certain manufactures will not allow you to carry some brands. For example Stihl will not let you be a dealer if you sell Husqvarna and vice-versa, you may run into some of that. You should also consider having a real good strong website to generate sales as well, not just an online billboard

I'm curious what the diff. brands want for dealerships

2007 Volkswagen Fahrenheit GTI #470 of 1200 - Stock System w/big 3 and Yellow top optima. Slowly getting ready to start the system build

SOLD or Purchased from: CD6551, ace_800, underfire , Cyclone9, mclsound, mylows10, BigSix.....

macsdad is offline boom-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

sounds like a good idea, and as stated before, i wish you were closer, how else am i going to step up to those sa-8v2s? tho i prefer the look of the v1's, that's why i went with the ma-8's. anyways...good luck, you would be a great guy to by from, those four 8's on 3000wrms could do a lot of talking for you...lol. keep me posted on your progress.

21. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've called some of the main line dealers within the past few days. Some of them are looking really promising and has sent me some more info on their products. I've talked to a few guys I know who are getting out of this type business (retiring). They've given me some other resources to also check into. I'm thinking three off brands people hasn't heard of and bringing in a couple of mainstream stuff to get people into the door. Macsdad, you could always take a little road trip and get another demo of my truck, haha. As of right now I'm looking at two months out at most.

OnYrMrk is offline Superstition is bad luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been thinking of opening up a stereo shop locally for about 3 months now. I've got a couple of places that are in great areas for this. I know it's a hard economic time to do something like this. Start up would be around $20k would be start up for the 1st month and around $2,500 a month and so on. I've got an installer lined up to work when the doors open. The product lines I have in mind are the following: Sundown Audio, Obsidian Audio, Audio Technix, Xs Power, Jvc, Kenwwod, Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, Cadence, Incriminator Audio, Digital Design, Crimestopper, and maybe a few more. The local stereo shops carry the main stream lines like: Memphis, JL, Orion, Rockford Fosgate, Focal, Boston Acustics, Polk Audio, Viper, Kenwood, Jvc, Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Crunch, Autotek, MbQuart, Dynamat, Stinger, and American Bass. Lets hear suggestions, thoughts, and ideas on this.
    My two cents. Pick up lines that don't require a huge buy in. Lines like RF, Focal, JL, JBL, Digital Design, Alpine, Pioneer require $3k to $5K buyin's so just for 4 or 5 lines, there goes your $20k startup money, then out of pocket for insurance, property taxes, deposits on electricity, building your displays.

I would budget $100K to get started if you want to start up with reputable lines. If not, you may want to look into smaller lines, less appealing lines until you can afford to bring in the big guns. A realistic goal for starting a business in this economy, is $50k to $75K. You will also need money for advertizing.

TEAM MSE/JL
    2007 Audi A4 Quattro "Audi-0"
    Alpine NAV1
    Future install: JL C5-400 and C5-tweeter, Z800 in kicks, JL XD1000/5 (x2), JL 13TW5-D4 (x2)

24. Thanks Thumpersplbassx thanked for this post
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast