Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Need some pointers with pseudo SPL setup

murph is offline Low for Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Re: Need some pointers with pseudo SPL setup

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    I find this most interesting since it's the exact purpose of the amplifier to deliver in that range, lol. Is that personal experience or a trend that you've notice in others mentioning in various discussions? I'm wondering if that's not simply a result of people setting maximum output at frequencies in the 40-50 region and not having the amplifier headroom for the demands of any frequency below that. So many variables involved with that aspect of performance.

I plan to annihilate the 12hz to 24hz region and filter around 45hz to hand off to the front stage, so probably no use of SSF. I'm hoping things will just be excursion-limited (four 4 12's moving 3inches on subsonics) with obvious demands for high current delivery from the amplifier, but with enough high voltage delivery as it begins to get into the 30's and 40's. I do this all the time with single driver setups, just looking to scale it up.

Dammit, I was hoping to go the value route with watts. I just want to find something that delivers numbers, doesn't break, and sounds good. So I should probably reset my budget for $300-$400, at least?
    Personal experience combined with many people having the same issues. Below 30hz a lot of budget amps seem to just start to dwindle off. Since 12hz-24hz is your main region in no way, shape or form should you run a budget amp. The lower your run the hotter the amp and subs get. I would not want to run a 250 dollar 2.4k amp (new) that low. The AQ is on sale can't beat that price new! AQ2200D Amplifier Also you said numbers you are doing more of a loud sq install with a target range of 12-24hz lol.

Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

2. Likes ciaonzo liked this post

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Thing looks nice, too. Much cleaner than the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Thing looks nice, too. Much cleaner than the BB.
    Runs colder, is better built and has a much smaller footprint.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

You made a good case, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks, murph.

Anyone have one of these for me? I have subs to trade, lol...

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

SomeguyinPDX is offline GunHappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    The parts on the BB are really cheap and the board is HUGE for the amount of watts it puts out. The AQ will be the cheapest one that preforms better than the BB2400.1. The IA 20.1 is the beefiest and most well built IMO but, also costs the most. The benefit with the AQ is the subsonic goes down to 10hz while most of these are 20hz if you plan on playing any subsonic bass. When talking class D amps once you get out of the budget section they all sound the same for the most part. A lot of budget amps have a hard time playing the lows 30-20hz.
    I'm with Murph on this one. Alot of the cheaper amps may do alright but when trying to push lots of power at the low freq's (20-30Hz) is where you will notice a big difference between the higher quality stuff vs. a budget amp. The ones murph metioned are all great amps. A few more to consider is the American Bass VFL, and the T-1500 or T-2500bdcp. Fosgate isn't the cheapest but the do make good power and have good customer service, just do not pay full retail or you will have buyers remorse like a mofo. Plus budget amps have very, very little resale/trade value if you want to change up gear later.

2007 Volkswagen Fahrenheit GTI #470 of 1200 - Stock System w/big 3 and Yellow top optima. Slowly getting ready to start the system build

SOLD or Purchased from: CD6551, ace_800, underfire , Cyclone9, mclsound, mylows10, BigSix.....

7. Thanks ciaonzo thanked for this post
    Likes murph liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

You made a good case, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks, murph.

Anyone have one of these for me? I have subs to trade, lol...
    Any time, this guy might want to trade. Be weary he is new. AQ 2200 305 shipped

9. Thanks ciaonzo thanked for this post
    truckramrod is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Murph is very spot on with his facts and ideas. AQ's are nice and affordable. BB's are hit and miss. I like them but can see I may need to swap them out later for a different product if I have any other amp failures.

FYI I have a brand new clarian dpx11551 amplifier I may be interested in selling. PM me If interested.

95 Sonoma Ext Cab 4.3L 5spd, Dual alts Tenney 270 amp alternator and 240 amp H.O.alts, 4 DEKA AGM batteries
    Pioneer deh8400 rsd250.2 powering Infinity Kappa60.5 comps and Morel coaxials
    7.2 cube net wall 2 crossfire XSv215s and 4 bb2400.1s.
    Daily Driver: 1995 Buick Park Avenue "leather couch on wheels"
    JVC KD-HDR60 Aura RPM2300 on Opti5.1 comps and Planet Audio zr300.4 bridged on Morel Ultimo 6X9's
    REFS: AMPJUNKIELIKEME, SERJR711, ZEUSILICIOUS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truckramrod View Post
    FYI I have a brand new clarian dpx11551 amplifier I may be interested in selling. PM me If interested.
    What are the odds of that, lol? PM for you.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2