Reload Thread: Not impressed

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Re: Not impressed

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    I play almost every thing dead flat on the eq (it was in the vid), so 32 bands are completely unnecessary for me. I'm not a fan of pioneer, but hear nothing but good things about the 80. I would like to have the adjust-ability of the mid range xovers, as well. However, my setup sounds pretty darn good considering i've built it on a fairly meager budget.
    You'd probably use 32 band EQ if you had it. I would run EQ again if I had the space, though I must say with good equipment, crossover points, and mounting locations I seem to do pretty well without.

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    You'd probably use 32 band EQ if you had it. I would run EQ again if I had the space, though I must say with good equipment, crossover points, and mounting locations I seem to do pretty well without.
    I have been considering a move to the x996, which has 13 bands per side. I just don't think I can make proper use of such a detailed eq without an RTA. I always feel like I'm just guessing, lol, so I leave it flat and adjust it only if there is a glaring problem.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hookedup12 View Post
    S4 bridged it on the Boston to get 400w at 4ohns setting on the head unit is bass at +6 the sub level is +11 no bass boost
    This is a recipe for disaster. Let me tell you that the correct "subwoofer level" setting on the Kenwood decks before you set amplifier gain with DMM is 0dB. I have measured the Kenwood X994 (very similar to X993 through X996) deck voltage on subwoofer RCAs with a DMM. If the signal is at full tilt (0dB signal playing at full volume), then the AC voltage on the outs is close to 4V, as the specs claim, with the subwoofer level at 0. If you increase the subwoofer level, then there is a chance to clip the signal. The DMM tutorial is wrong is suggesting to max the subwoofer level on the head unit before proceeding with setting amplifier gain. This issue must be examined on case by case basis.

Also on the +6dB on sub. This is a great receipt to over drive the amplifier and destroy subwoofer with a clipped signal. Set ALL settings to 0dB (no bass boost, sub level at 0, etc). Then set your gain with DMM. See what happens. Use 0dB test tone if you want to be conservative. Use -5dB tone if you feel adventurous. (I prefer -5dB as normal music hardly ever reaches 0dB, much less continuously).

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    I have been considering a move to the x996, which has 13 bands per side. I just don't think I can make proper use of such a detailed eq without an RTA. I always feel like I'm just guessing, lol, so I leave it flat and adjust it only if there is a glaring problem.
    I don't think the X996 13 bands are per each side. Another problem with these Kenwood decks is that their face plates are not particularly reliable. The Kenwood KIV media players may be better in this respect as they come with non-removable face plate. In any case, the Pioneer DEH-80PRS AutoEQ does seem to do marvels to the sound. The result is very clean sounding midrange with great imaging. Much better than what I could ever get by tinkering with time alignment alone or with EQ manually with no RTA. The only issue is that it set subwoofer level too low for my taste (fixed easily).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    This is a recipe for disaster. Let me tell you that the correct "subwoofer level" setting on the Kenwood decks before you set amplifier gain with DMM is 0dB. I have measured the Kenwood X994 (very similar to X993 through X996) deck voltage on subwoofer RCAs with a DMM. If the signal is at full tilt (0dB signal playing at full volume), then the AC voltage on the outs is close to 4V, as the specs claim. The DMM tutorial is wrong is suggesting to max the subwoofer level on the head unit. This issue must be examined on case by case basis.

Also on the +6dB on sub. This is a great receipt to over drive the amplifier and destroy subwoofer with a clipped signal. Set ALL settings to 0dB (no bass boost, sub level at 0, etc). Then set your gain with DMM. See what happens. Use 0dB test tone if you want to be conservative. Use -5dB tone if you feel adventurous. (I prefer -5dB as normal music hardly ever reaches 0dB, much less continuously).
    Lol, did you happen to read my post regarding this?

Pioneer 80prs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    I don't think the X996 13 bands are per each side. Another problem with these Kenwood decks is that their face plates are not particularly reliable. The Kenwood KIV media players may be better in this respect as they come with non-removable face plate. In any case, the Pioneer DEH-80PRS AutoEQ does seem to do marvels to the sound. The result is very clean sounding midrange with great imaging. Much better than what I could ever get by tinkering with time alignment alone or with EQ manually with no RTA. The only issue is that it set subwoofer level too low for my taste (fixed easily).
    I honestly forgot completely about autoeq. That would be nice. And I'm fairly certain it is thirteen per side.

Pioneer 80prs

Hookedup12 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Alright I turned everything thing back down but I'm not getting the same excursion everyone else on YouTube is with more power, also when I turn it up I am hearing something that sounds like rattling but it seems like its coming from the sub, I guess te only way to tell is to pull it out and play it and see why I fucked up.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

I have more power is what it meant*

Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

Expecting it to wang off 400 rms sealed hahahahahahaahahahahahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, The op didnt do much research before he bought.

All girls are whores, just ask your mom how you got here.

Feedback Thread
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/407829-blackfx4intn-feedback-thread.html

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Couple of things from what I have read.

#1 The Dcon is not broken in yet.
    #2 The most logical option for the output desires is to port the Dcon first
    #3 Keep in mind this is a 300 rms ratted SQ biased sub woofer, please don't expect Xcon level of output from the Dcon.

So once it is ported and broken in, I really feel you will like the output as the performance per dollar ratio of the Dcon is very hard to beat.

CarAudio.com mod(original)

11. Likes Hookedup12, RicksI30 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Figured out my shittaayy sub box was leaking new one 2.25 ported at 33hz ordered

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ordered from whom? It's not a prefab is it?

Feedback Thread
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/407829-blackfx4intn-feedback-thread.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nut Hair Trick View Post
    Yeah, The op didnt do much research before he bought.
    4 months of searching, asking, talking, on forums, watching vids I put in the amount of thought needed just had a leaky box and when I turned my gain up it was making a buzzing noise and I thought it was at its limit but its not. It was user error, I knew it was that's why I said it wasn't a ssa prob. I know these things get down I just wasn't using it in the correct enclosure

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nut Hair Trick View Post
    Ordered from whom? It's not a prefab is it?
    Ordered from double o7 at Starr

15. Likes eddie_93 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hookedup12 View Post
    4 months of searching, asking, talking, on forums, watching vids I put in the amount of thought needed just had a leaky box and when I turned my gain up it was making a buzzing noise and I thought it was at its limit but its not. It was user error, I knew it was that's why I said it wasn't a ssa prob. I know these things get down I just wasn't using it in the correct enclosure

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Ordered from double o7 at Starr
    ok, good luck. Keep us updated.

Feedback Thread

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks everybody as soon as I get it in the new box ill update

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast