I havent bought a CD in over 6 years...

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Mp3 or Cd

Quote Originally Posted by darron016 View Post
    I havent bought a CD in over 6 years...
    Neither have I. If you don't own the CD, just try to download stuff that's encoded at 192kbps or higher. Look into having a torrent client if you don't already use one. I prefer utorrent.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

3. Likes darron016 liked this post
    SourDeez is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Haven't seen this unless I check the block for downconverting on the iPod's settings menu. Does it have to do with the internal DAC?
    I thought it did that by default, converts them into 192 AAC or some ****

Headunit - Stock cassette player - Pioneer P9400
    Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Rear stage - Deleted (stolen) - Deleted
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Sub amp - Pyle 8000w peak!! (spl edition) - AQ2200
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Too much of a pain in the ass to down load all that shit then covert it all to 320 so I just use CD's

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 things:
    1 make sure you are not using the headset jack to listen to your iPod and connected to an aux port. If you are not using a USB iPod cable and port on the HU you are not hearing what you should be hearing.

2 Once you hook up your iPod to the computer, click on the music section of your iPod, select the song, right click check info and that will tell you the file size, if it's 128k AAC stereo, no good. 256- 320k, good-best.

I agree, EQ on iPod, off, some tracks, and type of music no matter what setting you use, it will sound bad due to the poor quality recording or the type of music.

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SourDeez View Post
    I thought it did that by default, converts them into 192 AAC or some ****
    That's if the option to compress on transfer is enabled and I think you can adjust what it compresses down to. IIRC, it's 160 AAC and it's pretty awful. Like I said, I'm running 320CBR now and the difference is definitely apparent, especially with dynamics and space

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

darron016 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
    2 things:
    1 make sure you are not using the headset jack to listen to your iPod and connected to an aux port. If you are not using a USB iPod cable and port on the HU you are not hearing what you should be hearing.

2 Once you hook up your iPod to the computer, click on the music section of your iPod, select the song, right click check info and that will tell you the file size, if it's 128k AAC stereo, no good. 256- 320k, good-best.

I agree, EQ on iPod, off, some tracks, and type of music no matter what setting you use, it will sound bad due to the poor quality recording or the type of music.
    Of course I use the AUX and the headphone jack.. There is no other way to listen to IPOD

All my songs look to be 128 and sample rat 44 100hz

VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you want to use an iPod in your car, use a USB adapter direct to the head unit. This is the only way to avoid what is already a loss (using an mp3 player).

This was all discussed about a month ago:
    MP3/Ipod vs. C.D.?

No, CD's are not compressed 320Kbps. No, 320K is not CD quality. Yes, you can hear a huge difference between 192 and 320K. MAYBE you won't be able to tell driving down the road at 60mph with the road noise. However, when there is little road noise, yes I can hear a difference in my car. Definitely different in the home.

The only way to compress music is to remove information or abbreviate sound information in the areas where the codec determines is inaudible.
    If you are listening to a 192K or 320K MP3, try turning it up and see if you can hear the digital garbage that comes through. It will sound like a weird robotic crackle sound, especially on higher pitched sounds in quiet passages. You will not hear it on loud songs usually, only the quiet parts. Also, the bass and treble has been cut below 25Hz and above 20Khz. Especially the closer you get to 20Khz. This is why Kenwood and other manufactures have "expanders" for MP3 playback, to help get back some of the sound information that was lost in encoding. Lots of manufactures have come up with circuits or software to help improve the quality of MP3 playback, but it is still just a band aid for the problem (sound loss).

'65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

'02 BMW 330xi (AWD coupe)
    ------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box
    And many more car audio goodies in storage

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post
    If you want to use an iPod in your car, use a USB adapter direct to the head unit. This is the only way to avoid what is already a loss (using an mp3 player).
    This was all discussed about a month ago:
    MP3/Ipod vs. C.D.?

No, CD's are not compressed 320Kbps. No, 320K is not CD quality. Yes, you can hear a huge difference between 192 and 320K. MAYBE you won't be able to tell driving down the road at 60mph with the road noise. However, when there is little road noise, yes I can hear a difference in my car. Definitely different in the home.

The only way to compress music is to remove information or abbreviate sound information in the areas where the codec determines is inaudible.
    If you are listening to a 192K or 320K MP3, try turning it up and see if you can hear the digital garbage that comes through. It will sound like a weird robotic crackle sound, especially on higher pitched sounds in quiet passages. You will not hear it on loud songs usually, only the quiet parts. Also, the bass and treble has been cut below 25Hz and above 20Khz. Especially the closer you get to 20Khz. This is why Kenwood and other manufactures have "expanders" for MP3 playback, to help get back some of the sound information that was lost in encoding. Lots of manufactures have come up with circuits or software to help improve the quality of MP3 playback, but it is still just a band aid for the problem (sound loss).
    This. Use USB for sure. By using the headphone jack, you are then using the shitty iPod DAC, which you don't want to use. That's where all those sound EQ's are applied. You don't have those with USB, it's digital to the HU and then uses the DAC in the HU. While your Kenwood probably doesn't have the best DAC in it, it's miles better than an iPod.

Also, lossless FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly, funny how we try to solve a problem and overlooked the main sources, like I said before, USB will give you the best sound and digital integration and sound. 2 issues, 128 k stereo files and headphone jack output to aux. if you need to use the aux port, buy one of these iPod iPhone Dock Connector Male to 3 5mm Plug Cable Mm | eBay it will give you much cleaner and better sound than the headphone jack.

Roth is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darron016 View Post
    Of course I use the AUX and the headphone jack.. There is no other way to listen to IPOD

All my songs look to be 128 and sample rat 44 100hz

And there's your problem, especially when you combine the two. You might actually prefer the digital compressed (nasty) sound of poorly encoded mp3's though. Many people have grown up with them and when they hear clean sounding music, it just sounds "off". Just play and listen to what you enjoy.

HU: Pioneer AVH-P8400BH
    DSP: JBL MS-8
    Front: HAT Unity
    Sub: JL 10W6v3
    Amp: JL HD900/5

References:
    Bought from: Iosias

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post

No, CD's are not compressed 320Kbps. No, 320K is not CD quality.
    Since when are cd's not 320kpbs?

Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Don't mess with any software that claims to normalize your volume. ESPECIALLY Sound Check on iTunes.

That being said, there's no difference audibly between CD and 192Kbps MP3. I go for 320 just for good measure. You may want to look at re-ripping your discs to 320 and see if there's a difference, but CD should theoretically come out on top since it's as uncompressed as you can get without tape or vinyl.
    How awesome would it be to have a turntable input for your car though? haha

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    How awesome would it be to have a turntable input for your car though? haha
    Wouldn't be very hard as most of them are analog so probably 1/4 TRS or maybe XLR. I could fab up some type of aux > 1/4 TRS no problem.

darron016 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I only have an AUX port so how would i connect my IPOD through USB?

Also if I use the USB my songs will still be 128 so how would it make a difference?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast