Closed Thread

Reload Thread: i COULD google it but ..

Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

i COULD google it but ..

id rather ask you folks i look around for subs all the time looking at specs like i know what im looking at
    (beside rms peak an voice coil config)
    like xmas an sensativity and what i want in the sub, and know what to look for lol can u help me out

Mixing my martial Arts

itsblown is online now why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Re: i COULD google it but ..

well for starters you don't look at peak.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

How much space are you willing to give up?What amp are you wanting to run,RMS,and ohm load?What vehicle is it going in?Most of all, whats your budget?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I think hes asking what to look for in a sub woofer too determine its quality, I think, could be wrong. I Don't usually trust T/S parameters because they drastically change after a speaker has some play time on it. I usually look at what coil size it has, what the coil is made out of, how its wound and the spider configuration.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

i currently have 4 flxx 15s at .5 on crescendo bc 5500 ok eletrical but im prolly goin to sell box an subs or just subs an i want to replace with 4 18s ,,if not just four 1500 rms 15s

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by itsblown View Post
    I think hes asking what to look for in a sub woofer too determine its quality, I think, could be wrong. I Don't usually trust T/S parameters because they drastically change after a speaker has some play time on it. I usually look at what coil size it has, what the coil is made out of, how its wound and the spider configuration.
    yea this,

Mixing my martial Arts

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

also what rolls do spider configuration have in subs? i know coil handles the heat so bigger better but there arent many 4 inch coils out there for good prices

Mixing my martial Arts

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Oh ..Ok..sorry..i look at rms,coil size,db,xmax,and htz mainly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe562MMA View Post
    also what rolls do spider configuration have in subs? i know coil handles the heat so bigger better but there arent many 4 inch coils out there for good prices
    Spiders are the subwoofers suspension and controll how far it can go up and down. (the coil also limits the travel of the woofer to because it can leave the gap or bottom out) if you want to go in depth talk to some of the guys that build woofers on here @SPLaudio @hispls . SPL audio also custom builds subs and can tailor the sub to your specific application and you will probably save a lot of money going custom than if you were to buy from a company

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    Oh ..Ok..sorry..i look at rms,coil size,db,xmax,and htz mainly
    what do db xmax htz have to do with performance ?

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Spiders are the subwoofers suspension and controll how far it can go up and down. (the coil also limits the travel of the woofer to because it can leave the gap or bottom out) if you want to go in depth talk to some of the guys that build woofers on here @SPLaudio @hispls . SPL audio also custom builds subs and can tailor the sub to your specific application and you will probably save a lot of money going custom than if you were to buy from a company
    really that sounds great lol

Mixing my martial Arts

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe562MMA View Post

Spiders help determine mechanical power handling. To an extent mirror image or progressive may make some difference in linearity. IMO 90% of the subwoofers being sold now are far too stiff. If you're bottoming out a 12" or larger woofer on 1200W you are an arsehole who needs to learn how to properly tune your box or use HPF.

Softer suspensions are typically more musical, stiff suspension is good for DD style box (huge port tuned mid 40hz range) or for running mega power.

4" coils hold a good bit more heat but they're expensive. They're not as readily available so you have less options and they're more expensive to manufacture. You also get into needing spiders and cones necked out for 4" which are also less readily available and more expensive.

Best thing to do is figure out your budget and goals and start looking at what fits your needs from there. Generalizations aren't really good for this topic

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

[QUOTE=hispls;8288605]Spiders help determine mechanical power handling. To an extent mirror image or progressive may make some difference in linearity. IMO 90% of the subwoofers being sold now are far too stiff. If you're bottoming out a 12" or larger woofer on 1200W you are an arsehole who needs to learn how to properly tune your box or use HPF.

Softer suspensions are typically more musical, stiff suspension is good for DD style box (huge port tuned mid 40hz range) or for running mega power.

4" coils hold a good bit more heat but they're expensive. They're not as readily available so you have less options and they're more expensive to manufacture. You also get into needing spiders and cones necked out for 4" which are also less readily available and more expensive.

Best thing to do is figure out your budget and goals and start looking at what fits your needs from there. Generalizations aren't really good for this topic

as far as list of wants in sub for a custom built sub well 4 15s 1200-1500 rms subs that can take daily beating aswell as spl burps & competing with around 350 each woofer!

Mixing my martial Arts

Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you never bought a sub before and don't have an expensive quality amp, just match RMS power ratings/ohms and get yourself a JBL or Infinity sub, they play loud assuming the have over 89 db spl and are easy on basic amps. 12 inch ones take too much space, 10 inch ones meet most needs in most situations unless you are a basshead. It's a decent start before you seek something with better SQ

13. Dislikes itsblown disliked this post
    SPLaudio is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)

^ agree subs are way to stiff these days because subs need to handle power not use it efficently, power is cheap is why. companys dont want alot of returns.
    you can also control excursion with coils ww and shorting rings.

as said 4" coil parts get expencive due to not alot out and size. but the worst part is limitations such as spider size. i wont do a 4" coil with smaller than a 9" spider...

Closed Thread