I used to be in to car audio a decade ago and have had a few smaller systems in recent cars.
I recently purchased a 00 civic sedan that had a system in it. The car had a jvc deck, 4 ga wire to 1 farad cap to a crunch powerzone 1500.1
box is a sealed box with a 10" RF p1 and an MTX 10" (silver cone, not sure of model)
all speakers are OEM pioneer speakers.
First thing I did was install 6.5' hertz 2 ways in the doors.
second, I pulled the amp and box
I installed an alpine mrv-t707 v12 amp and a Tang Band 8" sub in a ported box (I already had the sub in the garage and I bought the amp at the local pawn shop for $34.99
On Thursday, I saw a deal on craigslist that I couldn't turn down. (no flaming because this wouldn't be my first choice of sub but is the best deal for spl I could get for the price) I bought a pair of 12" L7's in a pro built box (ported) They have a silver cone (not sure what year) but they were almost brand new. I bought the box and subs for $200. He also had a Memphis
16-RP1x1000 in the box for $200 but I didn't get it
I know that I couldn't possibly use the Alpine amp on this pair so I am only running one of them on the amp and it is surprisingly loud for what it is.
here are my plans..............
1. ditch the cap, I read up and found out it is nonsense
2. install rear 6x9's (maybe RF prime series for the price or amp my fronts and ditch the rears) I'm open to suggestions on this but I want to be under $100 and increase my mids and highs, another option would be adapting 6.5 coax's for the 6x9 holes in the rear deck.
3. 1 or possibly 2 amps to run the subs. I'm really not sure how much power I "really" need to run these. I like SPL and would enjoy attending a couple of local events. Way back..... I had a car that hit 142 and I was hoping for louder than that. I've been considering the RE Audio amps, Audiopipe and Hifonics. I want to limit this part of the budget to $250
4. big 3 and or alt upgrade if needed
5. at some point I would like a nicer head unit.
Let me know what you guys think I should do and in what order. BTW: I'm cheap
Since I haven't been into stereos as much I've realized that most of the brands I once liked starting building a TON OF JUNK and I'm out of the loop on who still makes descent stuff with out spending a fortune.
BTW: I still have the Tang Band w8-740p in the enclosure and a BNIB back up sub for it.