Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Reload Thread: Looking to get a JBL MS8

  1. #1
    butterMilk's Avatar
    butterMilk is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

    Looking to get a JBL MS8

    Jbl website has them for 799$, sonicelectronics has them for 699$. The sonic website says they are authorized dealers, can anyone confirm that?

    I found some for about 450$ (new) on amazon, but im worried about not getting a warranty. Should I get the much cheeper amazon deal? What would you do?







  2. #2
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is online now Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Langdon, ND
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1216 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    My professional advice is to stay away from Amazon.com if you care about warranty coverage, unless you can confirm with the manufacturer that the seller is authorized to sell on Amazon. Some manufacturers allow online sales but exclude certain sites, especially eBay. It's very easy for someone to sell online from home and have no inventory, no overhead and offer 0 technical support. I suspect at least 3 of the sellers of the MS-8 on Amazon are doing exactly that.




    Small town service, family owned and operated. See our new mobile friendly online store at store.513electronics.com
    Home to CDT Audio's Systems Design Specialist
    Perfect Fit Speaker Kits
    Our CDT Audio dealer store, Clarion,_JBL,_Pioneer,_DB Drive,_Metra,_T-Spec
    My system: Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610, JBL GTO-751EZ, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, Audiomobile Elite 2212 12" ported, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill

  3. #3
    Hoodlum007's Avatar
    Hoodlum007 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    I would get it from who ever is the cheapest yet a reputable place that will offer a warranty even if not authorized.




  4. #4
    marc2112's Avatar
    marc2112 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Qc
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    I would contact mylows10. I'm sure he can get you a PS8 from Arc. Much better value imo.

    http://www.arcaudio.com/product-page...rs/dsp/ps8.asp




  5. #5
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is offline High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2770 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    Woofersect



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  6. #6
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is online now Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Langdon, ND
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1216 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    Quote Originally Posted by marc2112 View Post
    I would contact mylows10. I'm sure he can get you a PS8 from Arc. Much better value imo.

    PS8
    The MS-8 really doesn't compare to almost any other processor as it can't be matched feature-for-feature. If you're getting a PS-8 you should at least have the expertise to use the mid-level mode of operation to really take advantage of what you can do with it. It doesn't even have a manual published yet. MS-8 does some amazing things with it's automatic equalization, plus the Logic 7 signal steering is unmatched for multiple seat imaging.




    Small town service, family owned and operated. See our new mobile friendly online store at store.513electronics.com
    Home to CDT Audio's Systems Design Specialist
    Perfect Fit Speaker Kits
    Our CDT Audio dealer store, Clarion,_JBL,_Pioneer,_DB Drive,_Metra,_T-Spec
    My system: Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610, JBL GTO-751EZ, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, Audiomobile Elite 2212 12" ported, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill

  7. #7
    butterMilk's Avatar
    butterMilk is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
    The MS-8 really doesn't compare to almost any other processor as it can't be matched feature-for-feature. If you're getting a PS-8 you should at least have the expertise to use the mid-level mode of operation to really take advantage of what you can do with it. It doesn't even have a manual published yet. MS-8 does some amazing things with it's automatic equalization, plus the Logic 7 signal steering is unmatched for multiple seat imaging.
    Yeah I've looked at the Ps8 and I like what I see. But I dont think I have what it takes to tune it.

    The ms8 just looks like anyone is capable of installing and tuning, which I like.

    If a local audio shop could tune a Ps8 for about 100-150$ I would be all for it. But I think it would be a lot more than that. Thats just for tuning not install.




  8. #8
    Beerdrnkr's Avatar
    Beerdrnkr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    I'm currently running the MS-8 but I've ran almost all of the other processors / active headunits out there except some of the newer stuff (masconi 6to8, helix, and PS8). The MS-8 is a great processor for a beginner or someone that doesn't know much about tuning. For me, there was still quite a bit of tweaking I had to do to it before I got the sound I wanted but it only goes so far without all the bells and whistles that the other processors have.

    They seem to be readily available for $400-$450 used quite often. Diymobileaudio.com usually has a couple in the classifieds, I'd recommend picking them up there. JBL also sells them on ebay or their website refurbished w/ warranty for around $450. I think it's a great unit to have up to a certain point. Definitely a must if you have a center channel!

    I'm one of those guys that's never happy and needs to constantly be tuning so I'll be running an Alpine H-800 for that.




  9. #9
    Imtjnotu's Avatar
    Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    12,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1548 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrnkr View Post
    I'm currently running the MS-8 but I've ran almost all of the other processors / active headunits out there except some of the newer stuff (masconi 6to8, helix, and PS8). The MS-8 is a great processor for a beginner or someone that doesn't know much about tuning. For me, there was still quite a bit of tweaking I had to do to it before I got the sound I wanted but it only goes so far without all the bells and whistles that the other processors have.

    They seem to be readily available for $400-$450 used quite often. Diymobileaudio.com usually has a couple in the classifieds, I'd recommend picking them up there. JBL also sells them on ebay or their website refurbished w/ warranty for around $450. I think it's a great unit to have up to a certain point. Definitely a must if you have a center channel!

    I'm one of those guys that's never happy and needs to constantly be tuning so I'll be running an Alpine H-800 for that.
    what this guy said




  10. #10
    Julian's Avatar
    Julian is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    KC,MO
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    The only issue with the MS8 that I really don't like about it.. if you use the Autotune feature you cannot adjust the tune.. You have to go back and do it all over again



    Refs:
    sefugi x2, S.DeYoung, SteveMead, chillin, rebelfromva, Got160s?, JL Audio , mclerico83, and BIGJEFF64.



  11. #11
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    To answer your question about sonic being authorized, yes.

    Sounds like you'll benefit more from the MS8 than any other type of processor. You still get a crazy 31-band eq to play around with and I think the auto-cal will impress you with what it can pull off. Just don't expect it to be easy as pie. It does require the basic knowledge of crossover points and such.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  12. #12
    d77543020's Avatar
    d77543020 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    stockton ca
    Posts
    2,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    i would say keep a eye on ebay the last one i saw sold for 250




  13. #13
    butterMilk's Avatar
    butterMilk is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    To answer your question about sonic being authorized, yes.

    Sounds like you'll benefit more from the MS8 than any other type of processor. You still get a crazy 31-band eq to play around with and I think the auto-cal will impress you with what it can pull off. Just don't expect it to be easy as pie. It does require the basic knowledge of crossover points and such.
    When you say it requires a basic understanding of crossover points, is this what you mean?
    Im using HAT imagine speakers. frequency response 55hz-22,000hz. mid bass response 55hz-11,000hz- minimum crossover point 60hz( 4th order)
    For example,
    subs, 35hz-80hz
    mids, 65hz-5000hz
    tweets, 5000hz -21 000hz

    Do I know enough to set one up, or is it way out of my league?




  14. #14
    PHD - USA's Avatar
    PHD - USA is offline I sound better than you PHD - USA is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    PHD - USA is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Enon, Ohio
    Age
    23
    Posts
    6,560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    685 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    I personally would suggest looking into the Mosconi 6to8, Arc PS8, or the Rockford Threesixty.3. All of these units are much better than the Ms8.

    ---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

    The ms8 is not exceptionally sonically accurate, hence why no competitor will use them.



    PHD Audiophile Systems Dealer


  15. #15
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

    Re: Looking to get a JBL MS8

    Quote Originally Posted by ge_off_me View Post
    I personally would suggest looking into the Mosconi 6to8, Arc PS8, or the Rockford Threesixty.3. All of these units are much better than the Ms8.

    ---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

    The ms8 is not exceptionally sonically accurate, hence why no competitor will use them.
    Careful with the blanket statements, there. The OP is just asking about ease of use and, at his price point, the MS8 happens to offer the closest match to what he wants. I'm sure he'd rather let the L7 processing take care of his TA and phasing since he's just kinda getting started into all this.

    OP, the MS8 is not the simplest piece of equipment to understand, but IMO only it and the Alpine Imprint offer such ease of use without having to spend significantly more. For now, use those frequencies you listed and play around with bringing the bands up and down as you feel works better. Just please, please RTFM. If you don't understand what you're doing going in, you're going to hate your purchase.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 12:28 AM
  2. Looking to get a pair of XXX 12's
    By XDrkmanX in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 03:06 PM
  3. Where to get a JBL 1200.1???
    By MTXAudio15 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-18-2002, 09:32 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum