Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 83

Reload Thread: JL audio vs Sundown

  1. #31
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor727 View Post
    i vote w6 just to **** everyone off lol i love it but i own both currently and love the sound of my w6' in a sealed box but the sa's i use ported abd they dont sound bad at all just not as "tight" as the jl
    ported enclosures tend to sound less "tight" than sealed. toss the SA in a sealed enclosure and the W6 in a ported enclosure and then make your comparison...

    Matt




  2. Dislikes TheUnderFighter, gckless, Why So Cereal? disliked this post



  3. #32
    Nugg32's Avatar
    Nugg32 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor727 View Post
    i vote w6 just to **** everyone off lol i love it but i own both currently and love the sound of my w6' in a sealed box but the sa's i use ported abd they dont sound bad at all just not as "tight" as the jl

    Have you ever had the w6 in a proper ported box? If so how did they sound




  4. #33
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    hey nugg, did you ever get my PM?

    Matt




  5. #34
    Nugg32's Avatar
    Nugg32 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    hey nugg, did you ever get my PM?

    Matt


    Oh yeah you just reminded me. Ill probably get back with you on Wednesday if that's alright. I've been running all over the place today so i haven't really had the chance to take a look




  6. #35
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    not a problem, just shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

    Matt




  7. #36
    raptor727's Avatar
    raptor727 is offline come get some!!



    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    pensacola FL
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    506 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    i have used both in both type enclosures and find the sa for ported and the w6 sealed then again just my preference




  8. #37
    Why So Cereal?'s Avatar
    Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal



    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Drowning in milk
    Posts
    7,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1555 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Without price being a factor, I, myself would go with the w6 over the SA every day of the week and twice on January.

    Why? Because I'm more an SQ guy (who likes to have the option of shaking things up a little bit); and when I say SQ, I mean pure SQ in which the sub disappears into the sound stage and you almost forget the thing is behind u unless someone turns it off. Not many people are into that sort of thing despite them claiming to want an SQ sub, all they really want is a sub that makes noise but doesn't sound too bad doing it, which is virtually any decent sub on this planet.

    For what it seems like you want, which is more of an build that will give u volume while still sounding nice, go with the SA. If you're looking for a true SQ setup that will still get loud enough for a daily setup if you choose, then go with the JL. You can't go wrong either way IMO.

    Please don't assume I'm a Sundown hugger or a JL hater or vice versa. I support both companies for their purposes. I like the CS of both companies in the times I've dealt with them and the products perform very well in their respective areas.

    Just remember, you're on an anti-mainstream type forum where anything mainstream is presumed to be of lesser quality than "underground brands" and less bang for the buck. Not always true....in fact, it can be said to be untrue in more cases than some may like to think.




  9. Likes raptor727 liked this post
  10. #38
    raptor727's Avatar
    raptor727 is offline come get some!!



    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    pensacola FL
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    506 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    I couldn't have said it better the w6 does just fade away and I no longer just want to be beat to death it's nice to have a setup to listen to any type of music and not worry about it sounding like ****! like my xxx's I can't listen to alot of music because I am picky but sa's do great in a ported enclosure for any music just a little more spl oriented but they can sound good as well




  11. #39
    Why So Cereal?'s Avatar
    Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal



    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Drowning in milk
    Posts
    7,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1555 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor727 View Post
    I couldn't have said it better the w6 does just fade away and I no longer just want to be beat to death it's nice to have a setup to listen to any type of music and not worry about it sounding like ****! like my xxx's I can't listen to alot of music because I am picky but sa's do great in a ported enclosure for any music just a little more spl oriented but they can sound good as well
    ^this is exactly the reason I build my setups the way I do.

    My pops got me into car audio and he always told me to build my setups in a way that I could listen to ANYTHING and have it sound good. I ride with some people with systems and its like they only listen to a select few systems because those are the ones that sound good on their setup. If thats what you want then fine.

    Personally, I prefer to be able to put in any CD in my collection or play any song on my iPod and enjoy it like I have on a really nice set of headphones or am listening to a legit HT setup.

    I like a little loudness too, don't get me wrong. Don't care much for the meter but I do like the idea of being able to flex the entire car but, IMO, that comes AFTER SQ.




  12. #40
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is online now High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2715 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    ^this is exactly the reason I build my setups the way I do.

    My pops got me into car audio and he always told me to build my setups in a way that I could listen to ANYTHING and have it sound good. I ride with some people with systems and its like they only listen to a select few systems because those are the ones that sound good on their setup. If thats what you want then fine.

    Personally, I prefer to be able to put in any CD in my collection or play any song on my iPod and enjoy it like I have on a really nice set of headphones or am listening to a legit HT setup.

    I like a little loudness too, don't get me wrong. Don't care much for the meter but I do like the idea of being able to flex the entire car but, IMO, that comes AFTER SQ.
    I can play anything from Guns and Roses to Decaf. My car will compete in SQ and SPL next season I'm home. 2014

    Point is this XXXs can to if set up for it. You will lose SPL though



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  13. #41
    raptor727's Avatar
    raptor727 is offline come get some!!



    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    pensacola FL
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    506 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    thats what im going for is a sql setup hence the reason for the xxx's I heard they were great for that but from my experience my hdc3 18's sounded better I even had the box professionaly designed so I couldn't **** it up lol it gets loud but anything above 40hrtz sounds like ****




  14. #42
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is online now High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2715 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor727 View Post
    thats what im going for is a sql setup hence the reason for the xxx's I heard they were great for that but from my experience my hdc3 18's sounded better I even had the box professionaly designed so I couldn't **** it up lol it gets loud but anything above 40hrtz sounds like ****
    Then something is very wrong with the box or your ears



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  15. #43
    Why So Cereal?'s Avatar
    Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal



    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Drowning in milk
    Posts
    7,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1555 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor727 View Post
    thats what im going for is a sql setup hence the reason for the xxx's I heard they were great for that but from my experience my hdc3 18's sounded better I even had the box professionaly designed so I couldn't **** it up lol it gets loud but anything above 40hrtz sounds like ****
    Quote Originally Posted by DCtC View Post
    I can play anything from Guns and Roses to Decaf. My car will compete in SQ and SPL next season I'm home. 2014

    Point is this XXXs can to if set up for it. You will lose SPL though
    ^this


    I feel like those XXXs shouldn't disappoint for what you're going for. They're legit for what they are and I certainly wouldn't think that the hdc3 would sound better both given optimal environments. You sure the box is legit?




  16. #44
    TheUnderFighter's Avatar
    TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Murrieta, California, (SoCal)
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    854 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    OP, keep in mind that pure SQ doesn't sound like what you want. Read up on DIYMA about people discussing the Morel Ultimo 12 or DIYMA12 (gold standards of SQ). They will not be as punchy, visceral, and in-your-face as you want it to be. Look for SQL offerings, of which the Sundown will be one. Image Dynamics IDQ is another and will still put you under the price point of your precious W6.
    Done. This is /thread.



    2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

  17. #45
    Wingman0121's Avatar
    Wingman0121 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

    Re: JL audio vs Sundown

    JL Audio's speakers has the upper hand if you're going after sound quality, Sundown has the upper hand if you need big amps or are doing an SPL/SQL install, so it really depends on what you're trying to achieve.

    If your situation... you'll be happy with both choices so you can think about little things like which subs match your car's interior the best, do you have friends with the same equipment, do you want to run just one brand for everything, etc...



    Sold to: Mills561, Kross6622, sleazebagger, shpatb, esmokah
    Traded: Kross6622
    Bought from: DJ Nitrous 427, 97maxima

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. JL Audio vs Sundown
    By jblayz1 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 11:57 AM
  2. SQ: JL audio Vs Hifonics Amps
    By Mastap154 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:49 PM
  3. JL Audio vs. Zapco
    By jb4153 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 08:00 PM
  4. JL Audio vs. DB Drive
    By iesith in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 09:17 AM
  5. any jl audio vs. apline type r??
    By cockeyed00 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 12:50 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum