Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Reload Thread: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

  1. #1
    Nugg32's Avatar
    Nugg32 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    So i want to make a box and i'm confused on the measurements it gives me, jls website says my box should be 25.75 wide and 14 in tall and 13 inch deep.

    My ports are

    Port Width 1.5 in
    Port Height 12.5 in
    Port Depth 29 in

    i'm confused because if the port depth is how long it is inside the box and my box is only 13inch deep how will a 29inch port depth work when my hole box isn't even 30 inches







  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southern ILL
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

    Re: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    Your port is gonna have to turn at the corners of the box. Back one side, and part way across the back. Think of it as port length instead of depth.





    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    If your subs seem like they are slow that means you need Time Alignment a feature in sound quality based head units. A good head unit makes the biggest difference because it'll make the subs and speakers match up at the same speed with the time alignment feature.

  3. #3
    Nugg32's Avatar
    Nugg32 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Re: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper_Slapper View Post
    Your port is gonna have to turn at the corners of the box. Back one side, and part way across the back. Think of it as port length instead of depth.
    12W6v2-D4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W6v2 - JL Audio

    if you go to specification tab and go down to ported enclouser specifications it will tell you my measurments. it should make an L shape in the box, the short end of the L (Port Extension Length ) is 15.25 inches and if i were to make the total depth 29 inches the way you are saying i would have to add 14 more inches to the long part of the L and my box depth is only 13




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southern ILL
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

    Re: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nugg32 View Post
    12W6v2-D4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W6v2 - JL Audio

    if you go to specification tab and go down to ported enclouser specifications it will tell you my measurments. it should make an L shape in the box, the short end of the L (Port Extension Length ) is 15.25 inches and if i were to make the total depth 29 inches the way you are saying i would have to add 14 more inches to the long part of the L and my box depth is only 13

    No, add the (Port Extension Length ) of 15.25 along the 25.75 side. Just look at the pic in the link you posted.

    BTW. You do realize the pic on the right side of that diagram is looking down at the box from above? That would make a 25.75" x 13" rectangle.





    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    If your subs seem like they are slow that means you need Time Alignment a feature in sound quality based head units. A good head unit makes the biggest difference because it'll make the subs and speakers match up at the same speed with the time alignment feature.

  5. #5
    Nugg32's Avatar
    Nugg32 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Re: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper_Slapper View Post
    No, add the (Port Extension Length ) of 15.25 along the 25.75 side. Just look at the pic in the link you posted.
    i think that's what i'm doing, for everything to equal 29 inches i would have to add 15.25 + 13.75inches but if i add the 15.25 inches that goes with the width of the box ( 25.75 inch side) and add 13.75 more inches to the depths side (13inch side) it wouldn't fit because its 13.75inches and the depth of my box is only 13 inches..I'm a little fucked up right now so i might not be comprehending all of this correctly haha so i apologize




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southern ILL
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

    Re: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    Your over thinking it. That 29" port length is the center line of the port because it turns the corner. JL could have simplified that diagram and gave you the actual dimensions of the pieces.





    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    If your subs seem like they are slow that means you need Time Alignment a feature in sound quality based head units. A good head unit makes the biggest difference because it'll make the subs and speakers match up at the same speed with the time alignment feature.

  7. #7
    Nugg32's Avatar
    Nugg32 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Re: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper_Slapper View Post
    Your over thinking it. That 29" port length is the center line of the port because it turns the corner. JL could have simplified that diagram and gave you the actual dimensions of the pieces.
    AHaa!!, i drew it out with a measuring tape and now i get wtf you are saying lmao thanks a lot man i really feel stupid right now




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southern ILL
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

    Re: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    No problem. I could work you up a cut list if you need it but that'll have to wait till later. My *** is goin to bed.





    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    If your subs seem like they are slow that means you need Time Alignment a feature in sound quality based head units. A good head unit makes the biggest difference because it'll make the subs and speakers match up at the same speed with the time alignment feature.

  9. #9
    Nugg32's Avatar
    Nugg32 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Re: Explain Slot Port Depth please?

    if you get board that would be awesome




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. standard slot port in need of help please
    By corto in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
  2. Please check my first slot port design
    By Zxcvtypo in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 04:27 PM
  3. PLEASE HELP! need a slot port calculator
    By paz55 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2006, 04:41 PM
  4. slot port help please
    By 97dakota in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 05:27 PM
  5. Please Help W/ Slot Port Length
    By Miller in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:06 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum