Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Skar audio and Sundown Audio?

sbarber82 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Skar audio and Sundown Audio?

So i have been doing some looking for new subs and have noticed that the sundown line and the skar line are extremely similar. Almost to a tee. So whats the deal? Do these guys just buy the same china built stuff and then slap there name on it? Even the websites are alike...I am not saying they aren't good products but whats the deal??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skar audio and Sundown Audio?-zvx-12-top-view.jpg   Skar audio and Sundown Audio?-z-v3-12-front.jpg  

myjaja is offline Audioque

San Antonio, Tx Posts: 143,632 _____<^>*_*<^>_____
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Re: Skar audio and Sundown Audio?

Jacob(sundown) helped design a couple of subs for Skar. Thats about it

Refs: sbcaprice305, mattmcss, systembumping, LeofromtheH, audiobahnuser18, stishdr, wcarson8911, jnoel, mr_kebo, 93 saturn sl2

HU: Home stereo converted to dc
    Speakers: Stock
    Subs: 6 1/2 home sub
    Amp: off the stereo
    Wiring: extended power cord
    neon lights: Christmas lights duct taped to frame

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

do NOT buy anything made by skar audio. The owner is extremely shady and dishonest and has a history of scamming people. not to mention skar's website has a trojan virus

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

4. Thanks gckless thanked for this post
    Likes ZDudas, n8skow, gckless liked this post
    Jes 42 is offline karma!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Buying Sundown is a better option op.You would get better cs and get what you pay for.

Kenwood x996
    Punch 501x
    4 Prv 6.5's-Bazooka Euphonic tweets
    18'' T3 TSNS
    MA Audio HK4000D
    300 amp Ohio Gen alt
    2 CS9000 batts

thevic24 is offline my silence is deadly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To answer your question....most likely the same build house..

Silently stalking you through glass....

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbarber82 View Post
    So i have been doing some looking for new subs and have noticed that the sundown line and the skar line are extremely similar. Almost to a tee. So whats the deal? Do these guys just buy the same china built stuff and then slap there name on it? Even the websites are alike...I am not saying they aren't good products but whats the deal??
    Your computer haz teh aids now, man....

Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    do NOT buy anything made by skar audio. The owner is extremely shady and dishonest and has a history of scamming people. not to mention skar's website has a trojan virus
    lulz, you beat me to it.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

This. Even if the products were EXACTLY the same, the company is shady. Spend your money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    This. Even if the products were EXACTLY the same, the company is shady. Spend your money elsewhere.
    They are not the same but they are similar in some aspects.

Skar is mostly sweatshop made, sundown has better engineering but I'm still rather annoyed that they sold a large amount of pre order stock (sa8)to a competitor (skar) and limited the amount of actual customers that they were originally intended for and instead those pre order subs were sold at full price by skar.

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

10. Likes Jes 42 liked this post
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

They are not the same but they are similar in some aspects.

Skar is mostly sweatshop made, sundown has better engineering but I'm still rather annoyed that they sold a large amount of pre order stock (sa8)to a competitor (skar) and limited the amount of actual customers that they were originally intended for and instead those pre order subs were sold at full price by skar.
    Yeah, I understand they're not the same, that's why I said "if". They aren't, but some models are fairly similar. And that was bad biz Sundown did that. Was even worse of Skar.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have been very happy with my 2 skars for the last year.

sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Selling a product to a company that is / was a dealer for a product is not bad business; many dealers pre-ordered stocks of SA-8 v.2 woofers and later sold them at the full price. This happens with every product we put on pre-sale but I imagine most dealers don't mention how / when they purchased their stock. Kevin was a dealer for our product via his 1800Woofers venture (from which we received NO complaints regarding the sale of our product) -- which I believe was since sold out to another owner.

In any event... any association we had with Skar product was on the VVX and IVX v.1 models only. Both models have been replaced (or are in the process of being replaced) and we have no association on the new products and none of our loudspeakers are made in the same factory(ies) either -- nor are they really very similar other than perhaps noting the two pictures drivers have stitched foam surrounds (a closer look would show you they have different roll profiles, the cone body is a different tool, and the dust caps are different sizes).

As far as the web-sites I imagine that Skaraudio.com uses the same site engine as we do as it's pretty popular and easy to work with; our site was made by LFTNDesign (Mark from SSA) and Skar's by "Peopels Technologies" per the note at the bottom.

PS: This idea of "slapping a name on a China woofer" really irks me... I have a huge folder full of drawings for all of our motors and FEA graphs on each one of them... not to mention the slew of parts I've tooled up and continue to tool up for our drivers over the years.

- Jacob Fuller
    - Owner, Sundown Audio
    - Associate, Stereo Integrity

- I DO NOT USE PMs ON HERE -- Please e-mail me!
    - E-MAIL is sundownz@sundownaudio.com
    Simon Eichenberger is THE MAN.

14. Likes timma100 liked this post
    skylineTT is offline bass=sekz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
    Selling a product to a company that is / was a dealer for a product is not bad business; many dealers pre-ordered stocks of SA-8 v.2 woofers and later sold them at the full price. This happens with every product we put on pre-sale but I imagine most dealers don't mention how / when they purchased their stock. Kevin was a dealer for our product via his 1800Woofers venture (from which we received NO complaints regarding the sale of our product) -- which I believe was since sold out to another owner.

In any event... any association we had with Skar product was on the VVX and IVX v.1 models only. Both models have been replaced (or are in the process of being replaced) and we have no association on the new products and none of our loudspeakers are made in the same factory(ies) either -- nor are they really very similar other than perhaps noting the two pictures drivers have stitched foam surrounds (a closer look would show you they have different roll profiles, the cone body is a different tool, and the dust caps are different sizes).

As far as the web-sites I imagine that Skaraudio.com uses the same site engine as we do as it's pretty popular and easy to work with; our site was made by LFTNDesign (Mark from SSA) and Skar's by "Peopels Technologies" per the note at the bottom.

PS: This idea of "slapping a name on a China woofer" really irks me... I have a huge folder full of drawings for all of our motors and FEA graphs on each one of them... not to mention the slew of parts I've tooled up and continue to tool up for our drivers over the years.
    Don't fret it man, some people just dont realize how much you and your collegues put into your products. A simple look through your vendor section shows a lot.

Refs: Dipitydoo, appollyon, bad95gt, revrider1, jwh1598, ampjunkielikeme, deathpenalty18, ssackett, snoopysnooper, corey0928, SPLAudio, Clifff150, CL1CKCLACK, ShawnT, West + more

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundownz View Post

Slapping a name on a china woofer is not what I meant. I understand having a product made in china after a lot of r&d here in the states. I am not saying the craftsmanship isn't good or that you just picked one out of a row and said put my name on it. I extremely respect the fact that you are so into your products and do lots of creative tooling at your shop here in the state. I am a big fan of sundown and that is why I am building my system around your products. I did not mean any disrespect and I apologize for the way it came off, please forgive me.

I more or less figured your designs were being stolen or sold to the other companies through the china manufacturer. I have done business overseas and know it is hard to protect your work when they (china) are not always looking out for your best interest.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Trojan viruses have no chance against my cpu… lol

sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbarber82 View Post
    Slapping a name on a china woofer is not what I meant. I understand having a product made in china after a lot of r&d here in the states. I am not saying the craftsmanship isn't good or that you just picked one out of a row and said put my name on it. I extremely respect the fact that you are so into your products and do lots of creative tooling at your shop here in the state. I am a big fan of sundown and that is why I am building my system around your products. I did not mean any disrespect and I apologize for the way it came off, please forgive me.

I more or less figured your designs were being stolen or sold to the other companies through the china manufacturer. I have done business overseas and know it is hard to protect your work when they (china) are not always looking out for your best interest.
    Thanks for the clarification.

We have had some issues with our designs being sold around; that is (for the most part) taken care of these days. It is part of the business anymore, though, so we just have to keep improving

- Jacob Fuller
    - Owner, Sundown Audio
    - Associate, Stereo Integrity

- I DO NOT USE PMs ON HERE -- Please e-mail me!
    - E-MAIL is sundownz@sundownaudio.com
    Simon Eichenberger is THE MAN.

Closed Thread