Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need some opinions on a complete system build...

mikeb618 is offline RANDOM DUDE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need some opinions on a complete system build...

I got myself a new car and i am wanting to put together a simple, good sounding system. I want to keep things simple and not get too crazy. The car is a Sonic Rs...its a small car that gets me good mpg on the drive to work.

I listen to lots of rock and roll, some older rap and any thing else that sounds good to my ears. I have had some nice stereos but i am not very up to speed on the new stuff.

I am 100% keeping the factory MyLink deck, but pretty much everything else is getting upgraded.

Here is what i am thinking...

Audio control LC6i to get RCAs and be able to correct the factory loudness...

WoofersEtc.com - LC6i - AudioControl Six Channel Line Output Converter

Alpine PDX-V9...i know the old Alpine stuff was nice, but dont know about the new stuff.

WoofersEtc.com - PDX-V9 - Alpine 5 Channel 900 Watt Digital Amplifier

I just pre-ordered a pair of sundown SD2-8's. They are exactly what i need due to space. I am going to build a small sealed box that will take up minimal space in the hatch for the subs.

I need advice on some good sounding 6 1/2 component speakers. In the past i had some old Boston pro6.5 comps and really liked the sound of the silk tweeters, but i am open to whatever.

So, is the Audio Control unit what i need? Is there a better amp choice? What components do i need?

BTW...I am going to get a decent set of 2ways to put in the rear doors for fill that will run off the 3 and 4 channels.

One of the big things is correcting the factory loudness. That is why i am wanting to run everything thru the convertor and off of a amp.

What am i missing and where am i messing up? Help a guy out!

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Need some opinions on a complete system build...

I hear great things about the CDT HD-61s. EF-61 would be a cheaper choice. @mylows10 ; should be able to help you out with pricing

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used a LC6I, because I didnt want to get a new HU. And I hated the LC6I. The have been known to introduce some "fuzz" to the system, and also sub thump when turning car on and off.

I was warned about that, but bought one anyway. I had some fuzz, and some thump when I turned the car off, was so annoying. I ended up just buying a new HU, and im so much more happy with the new HU, no fuzz, no thump!

This was in a 2009 lancer with upgraded rockford sound package, fyi

mylows10 is online now Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

what you can do is get a nice eq or processor ,it will help a lot . also are you looking for smaller foot print amps because of the small space .do you have a budget ? i'm having a 1 day sale ending tomorrow at noon .this would be a great time to buy all new with warranties as well shipped to your door .i'm thinking a american bass vfl 1200 watt rms mono block amp ,with a matching 4 channel ,some cdt components hd61a with hd6e mids in the rear doors .you'll need an amp kit as well .everything i just mentioned is on sale til tomorrow ,i can give you a good deal on all of this .

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    what you can do is get a nice eq or processor ,it will help a lot . also are you looking for smaller foot print amps because of the small space .do you have a budget ? i'm having a 1 day sale ending tomorrow at noon .this would be a great time to buy all new with warranties as well shipped to your door .i'm thinking a american bass vfl 1200 watt rms mono block amp ,with a matching 4 channel ,some cdt components hd61a with hd6e mids in the rear doors .you'll need an amp kit as well .everything i just mentioned is on sale til tomorrow ,i can give you a good deal on all of this .
    Yeah...i want to keep the amp or amps small. I want good sounds but i dont want to use up all the storage area with amps and subs. I would be very interested in a price on the components and some wiring. Shoot me a PM.

BTW...how do the American Bass amps compare to the Alpine that i listed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

just as good maybe even a bit better i run them myself on a stock alt and extra battery .i'm running the vfl 4480 and vfl 150.4 with very little voltage drop .pm coming

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the Audio control LC6i is known to have some "fuzz". What other options are there?

I really want to run everything off a single amp just for space reasons. Actually i have a few old amps that would easily do the job but the are BIG and i dont have much space to work with.

Someone asked what my budget is? Well i dont want to spend millions but i would much rather spend a little extra to get good sound. I was planning to spend about $1500 but have no problem spending a little extra.

I am sure there are many combos of multiple amps that will do more than the alpine i listed but are there any 5 channels that are a better choice near the same price? I would really like a DD SS5 but they are nearly $1k and have a pretty big footprint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

Then a jl clean sweep would work American bass has. A 5 channel for 240 from me. Til noon 120 rms x4 and 800 rms on the sub channel I personally don't like running 5-6 channel amps to run my whole system

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So i got all my door speakers ordered thanks to mylows10. CDT components for the front and a set of mids for rear fill.

I really would like some opinions on what convertor/processor to run? Does the Audio Control LC6I really create "fuzz"? Is the JL cleansweep a better option? Does someone else make one that i am missing?

What is everyones opinion on the American Bass 5channel? It seems like it is a perfect fit for what i need.

THANKS!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was doing a little looking around and found this...

WoofersEtc.com - LCQ-1 GREY - Audio Control 6 Channel Line Output Converter with EQ

I guess its not a very good choice if the Audio Control stuff is making fuzz, but i think have the EQ would be very helpful. Anyone using one of these?

Closed Thread