Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Still too much noise

cfox10 is offline Rock the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Still too much noise

I had the girlfriends car completely sound deadened with hushmat at my local shop. When she got the car, the people before put on aftermarket exhaust and it's too loud. It's not just that though, the road noise is terrible (when out of gear and just coasting) and it makes the mids sound like they aren't their at all.

Any ideas on getting rid of road noise? Pretty sure all the rattles on the car are gone.

sam_b03 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Re: Still too much noise

tires can produce alot of noise. It was a night and day difference when I changed the rear tires on my car from Bridgestone Potenza RE050's to nitto motivo's. Tire rack has a pretty decent system for reviews on tires. You might look up the reviews and see what others have to say about them. I was able to go from just hearing the words at a volume of 14 on my HU to being able to talk and tell the radio was on at level 10 after the tire change.

CDT 642 powered by Clarion Apx 4360
    SA-12 powered by MB Quart ONYX1500.1

cfox10 is offline Rock the house.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sam_b03 View Post
    tires can produce alot of noise. It was a night and day difference when I changed the rear tires on my car from Bridgestone Potenza RE050's to nitto motivo's. Tire rack has a pretty decent system for reviews on tires. You might look up the reviews and see what others have to say about them. I was able to go from just hearing the words at a volume of 14 on my HU to being able to talk and tell the radio was on at level 10 after the tire change.
    Thanks, I'll look into tires. Actually, she needs new tires anyway so I'll coax her into getting certain ones.

Ronny is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sound deadening does not do much for road noise, inherently that is not its purpose.

If you want to make a night and day difference, you need to look into a Mass-Loaded Vinyl barrier, decoupled away from the metal via a layer of foam.
    Head onto Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information and read a storm of the immense amount of information available that the owner has written out for us. Personally, I think SDS has the best route of properly deadening and "sound-proofing" a vehicle, and you can do so without breaking the bank which is always a plus.

5. Likes Julian liked this post
    maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Definitely tires.. and maybe lose the loud pipes?

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

could be tires+ alignment. when I got new tires I know my cars road noise went way down, Also this is going to sound incredibly stupid but make sure all of the tires are rotating the correct way, on some tires it matters which way they face it will say on the tire rotation with an arrow facing the way it should roll

neonblack is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What kind of car? Where is noise coming from? I have Pontiac Sunfire 98 and soundproofed front/back door panels and it sounds pretty good. When I get above 50 mph there's virtually no car noise. Only noise I ever get is from engine. Factory carpets have a good layer of 1" batt insulation underneath.

Yeah, if you tires are worn or out of alignment you'll get more road noise from them. Good tread and good alignment is best to have. And rotate tires.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

You can try a few layers of undercoating on the underside of the car and in the fenderwells.

For the exhaust put a deflector or whatever inside the muffler. I got a 4" SS muffler for free and it was annoyingly loud. I Bolted a 3 x 1 1/2" piece of aluminum stock inside the pipe and it's 100% better now. You're just increasing backpressure/cutting down on airflow, making it more like a stock muffler...

sam_b03 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

instead of putting at plate that will chock off your exhaust and kill some horses, try a baffle like this.The closer to the front the more noise it will deaden. I got a way with using one welded into my down pipe on a turbo motor once. It was athe very end of the pipe and this was the only exhaust. It was pretty loud but not bad considering it only had 3 foot of exhaust with baffle in the end.

Car Chemistry Exhaust Inserts 3DI25R - SummitRacing.com carchemistry makes them in different lengths and diameters. I would recommend putting it right behind the cat, or any were there is break in the exhaust that is close to front and has a straight enough pipe to let if fit. Then have it welded in place.

CDT 642 powered by Clarion Apx 4360
    SA-12 powered by MB Quart ONYX1500.1

Julian is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    Sound deadening does not do much for road noise, inherently that is not its purpose.

If you want to make a night and day difference, you need to look into a Mass-Loaded Vinyl barrier, decoupled away from the metal via a layer of foam.
    Head onto Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information and read a storm of the immense amount of information available that the owner has written out for us. Personally, I think SDS has the best route of properly deadening and "sound-proofing" a vehicle, and you can do so without breaking the bank which is always a plus.
    +1 for the right way.. Look into SDS and contact Don via email he is the most insightful guy on deadening and soundproofing cars.

Refs:
    sefugi x2, S.DeYoung, SteveMead, chillin, rebelfromva, Got160s?, JL Audio , mclerico83, and BIGJEFF64.

esmokah is offline Dabbed Out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it drone from the exhaust? A Magnaflow Hushpower II resonator may fit the bill.

Head Unit: Pioneer avh-4300dvd,
    Front Stage: Ascendant Audio 6.75", Massive Audio 28mm tweeters
    Rear Fill: Massive Audio CK6-3 6x9 Woofers
    Amps: PPI Phantom P900.4, Sundown Audio SAZ-2500D
    Sub: RE Audio XXX 12" 2.25^3 Tuned to 32

They sell Kicker at Wal-Mart now. That's saying a lot..

Closed Thread