Closed Thread

Reload Thread: deadening hinges?

knotdrummer88 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

deadening hinges?

In my 98 cherokee I have the whole back hatch deadened except of course theres nothing I can really do about the latch/spring mechanism for the back hatch. What have some of you done to minimalize the rattling some of these make?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    I look for a girl with lowered standards, and possibly a vision problem. Depth perception and size awareness problems are a definite must. Also must like river-dancing and hideous, irreversible burn scars.

What can I say, Im an old fashioned kind of guy.

butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: deadening hinges?

Sometimes you can tighten it. So when you close it you would kind of have to slam it shut. Its generally just an adjustment, moving the mechanism up or down.

You could also buy new rubber seals, it tends to give you a more snug fit. They can be pricy, dealership usually has them.

If its something small rattling, I've heard that you can put some heavy grease on it, haven't tried that one tho.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heebs 09gts View Post
    Sometimes you can tighten it. So when you close it you would kind of have to slam it shut. Its generally just an adjustment, moving the mechanism up or down.

You could also buy new rubber seals, it tends to give you a more snug fit. They can be pricy, dealership usually has them.

If its something small rattling, I've heard that you can put some heavy grease on it, haven't tried that one tho.
    well, whats actually rattling is I think its a real heavy spring. Its in the hatch mechanism, but that basically what it is, is a big spring.

I look for a girl with lowered standards, and possibly a vision problem. Depth perception and size awareness problems are a definite must. Also must like river-dancing and hideous, irreversible burn scars.

nudels is offline KNOCK-KNOCK!, MOFAKOO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

like this? (disregard the arrow)

if it's the spring, you might be able to slide a sliver of rubber, deadener, or pliable foam in between the pin and spring,.. if it's something other than that, i would watch the assembly while
    it rattles and tie/bind whatever moves up with rubber bands, grommets, or o-rings as long as it doesnt hinder operation.

might as well lube it up while you're in there if it looks like ^that, lol.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.???

refs; mlstrass, krazykilroy, 98ackCL23, 95k1500 , iamsonic, rustyarmadillo,alex95sl2, audiobahnfan, oldschooljunkie, oslouie, stills, rocksolid84, ellocogeorge, 350zkid, hurrication, jcorkin ,f3m4, juancolchado, coma_toast (sound_around) .. more than enough. ask, and ye shall receive.

ca.comcacodiymasplc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nudels View Post
    like this? (disregard the arrow)

if it's the spring, you might be able to slide a sliver of rubber, deadener, or pliable foam in between the pin and spring,.. if it's something other than that, i would watch the assembly while
    it rattles and tie/bind whatever moves up with rubber bands, grommets, or o-rings as long as it doesnt hinder operation.

might as well lube it up while you're in there if it looks like ^that, lol.
    I beleive thats exactly what it is! That pictures not from a cherokee is it?

nudels is offline KNOCK-KNOCK!, MOFAKOO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by knotdrummer88 View Post
    I beleive thats exactly what it is! That pictures not from a cherokee is it?
    indeedily-eedily it is, neighbor.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.???

refs; mlstrass, krazykilroy, 98ackCL23, 95k1500 , iamsonic, rustyarmadillo,alex95sl2, audiobahnfan, oldschooljunkie, oslouie, stills, rocksolid84, ellocogeorge, 350zkid, hurrication, jcorkin ,f3m4, juancolchado, coma_toast (sound_around) .. more than enough. ask, and ye shall receive.

ca.comcacodiymasplc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nudels View Post
    indeedily-eedily it is, neighbor.
    excellent, thank you I appreciate it. I think ill try getting a rubber sleeve under it, and Also, I have not deadened the sides of the jeep. I might spray some foam up in there since my box is in, and its going to be difficult to get to. But thank you very much sir

butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Make sure you have researched spray foam before using it. It can attract moisture, which will cause rust. Though on a 98 cherokee im not sure how worried about rust you will be!

Closed Thread