Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How long can I listen before the battery dies?

sumone is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 How long can I listen before the battery dies?

Okay, this has happened a lot recently. I know it's a pretty bad idea to sit with the car off and the radio on, when you have an amp hooked up.

Today I got stranded while waiting for a friend that took forever to come out the house because my car wouldn't start and needed a jump. This isn't the first time.

The thing is, it had to have been no less than 20 minutes (and I had been actively driving for at least half an hour before I parked) that I was sitting there, waiting for her. And let me tell you this was embarassing as hell - as I had music blasting and then went to turn the car on and....well no start.

Does this mean I
    1) have a bad (or going-bad) battery,
    2) something's wrong with the alternator,
    3) or something else?

don't have dimming problems. this is just a 65Wx4 channel amp.

sungwei is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How long can I listen before the battery dies?

I don't think 20 minutes of listening would do it based on the equipment you have. I think it's the battery. How old is it? Batteries typically need replacement every 5 years or so depending on the situation.

cwzilly is offline Hates distortion

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

More than likely it wasn't caused by the amplifier, even it it was at 300watts. 1000 watts or so is a whole another story.

You said "it needed jumped", so I'm assuming you had the car jumper-stated and it then started? Was the car cranking/turning over when you tried to start it? If so, you most likely have a dead battery; like sungwei said, typically every 5 years. Unless you have the wrong battery for your vehicle, then it can go bad in as little as a year; I've even heard 3 months. It could also be bad cables, starter relay, or even the starter itself, but usually if its the starter there's no sound. Speaking of this being a car audio board, your cables are connected securely right? Loose battery cables can cause starting problems, and even degrade engine power.

Calling us NO GOOD; you are the social enemy, us people change day to day...

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

i always listen to my system with the car off.

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwzilly
    More than likely it wasn't caused by the amplifier, even it it was at 300watts. 1000 watts or so is a whole another story.

You said "it needed jumped", so I'm assuming you had the car jumper-stated and it then started? Was the car cranking/turning over when you tried to start it? If so, you most likely have a dead battery; like sungwei said, typically every 5 years. Unless you have the wrong battery for your vehicle, then it can go bad in as little as a year; I've even heard 3 months. It could also be bad cables, starter relay, or even the starter itself, but usually if its the starter there's no sound. Speaking of this being a car audio board, your cables are connected securely right? Loose battery cables can cause starting problems, and even degrade engine power.
    It has to be (at least in some way directly or indirectly be caused by) the amplifier cause when I didn't have an amp, I would always listen in the car with the engine off for more than 20 minutes at a time.

I needed a jump. I guess that's what you (or let me say "I") call it when you need to hook the cables up between your battery and a good battery of another car.

Basically when I tried to turn the car on, after the chimes and beeps and stuff when I hit the "on" level of the key, and then keep turning so that the ignition would ignite, it just stops. No cranking or sounds that would cause you to say like "come on...come on..." it just stops and you don't hear anything (in terms of the engine trying to start).

Car is a 2000 malibu, so I'm guess it came out in '99...looks like I am at the 5 year mark.

Pretty sure stuff is hooked up right/secure; otherwise I wouldn't have been able to drive immediately prior to parking.

CWT
    CWT is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Beat your battery up and you will shorten its life. Go to Pep-boys or some other joint that will do a free battery check and find out if it really is going out; if the battery is fine (Doubt it), get your charging system checked. Shorter capacity, and not holding a charge are signs a battery is on its way out. Also, make sure your battery terminals are clean---no white residue on the positive terminal; it can cause your battery to not re-charge correctly if it's bad enough.

Prime time to scrape up some extra cash for an Optima Yellow top!

Good luck with it. Later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"If the car turned over then you have a bad battery" ??????????????? I dont get this... My battery was at six volts once (bad alt) and the engine was still firing. Starting the car is what requires all the amps from the battery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)

Get an upgraded battery. I have a red top,and have had my 50x4 amp playing all day bout half tilt,for 4 hrs or so(beggining of school until lunch time...accident) and the car started at the end of the day.

Upgrade your battery,and you should be able to chill for about 2 hrs no prob.

Were you using the AC?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nope - I'm one of those guys who'd use AC/heat as a very last resort...

Closed Thread