Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Deadening doors on a 06 civic help!

myjaja is offline Audioque

San Antonio, Tx Posts: 143,632 _____<^>*_*<^>_____
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Deadening doors on a 06 civic help!

So, let me start off by thanking cthedinger from Audio Technix once again for the deadener. Ill be putting it into good use.

But anyways, Ill be using some abs sheets to cover the holes in the door. Then deaden the whole door with the Audio Technix deadener. Ill also be adding some closed cell foam around the speaker from the oustide. Does this sound good? Is there anything else I should add thatll help? Also, I read up that adding closed cell foam inside the actual door will help some. Is this true or just a waste of money?

thanks

Refs: sbcaprice305, mattmcss, systembumping, LeofromtheH, audiobahnuser18, stishdr, wcarson8911, jnoel, mr_kebo, 93 saturn sl2

HU: Home stereo converted to dc
    Speakers: Stock
    Subs: 6 1/2 home sub
    Amp: off the stereo
    Wiring: extended power cord
    neon lights: Christmas lights duct taped to frame

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Re: Deadening doors on a 06 civic help!

anyone?

Refs: sbcaprice305, mattmcss, systembumping, LeofromtheH, audiobahnuser18, stishdr, wcarson8911, jnoel, mr_kebo, 93 saturn sl2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myjaja View Post
    So, let me start off by thanking cthedinger from Audio Technix once again for the deadener. Ill be putting it into good use.

But anyways, Ill be using some abs sheets to cover the holes in the door. Then deaden the whole door with the Audio Technix deadener. Ill also be adding some closed cell foam around the speaker from the oustide. Does this sound good? Is there anything else I should add thatll help? Also, I read up that adding closed cell foam inside the actual door will help some. Is this true or just a waste of money?

thanks
    With the research Ive done, best process is

Deaden outer door skin
    plug all holes in the doors with material of your choice, )Id use aluminum or make fiberglass plugs over ABS but thats just my opinion, to each its own)
    if you use aluminum, deaden both sides, tap it into the doors
    the closed cell foam over that

never heard of closed cell on the outer door skin though

maybe @keep_hope_alive can chime in on this? thats who i watch builds for when it comes to deadening and SQ

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04murdalanche View Post
    With the research Ive done, best process is

Deaden outer door skin
    plug all holes in the doors with material of your choice, )Id use aluminum or make fiberglass plugs over ABS but thats just my opinion, to each its own)
    if you use aluminum, deaden both sides, tap it into the doors
    the closed cell foam over that

never heard of closed cell on the outer door skin though

maybe @keep_hope_alive can chime in on this? thats who i watch builds for when it comes to deadening and SQ
    So youre saying to also add closed cell foam on top of the holes I plugged up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myjaja View Post
    So youre saying to also add closed cell foam on top of the holes I plugged up?
    correct, from what I understand, and im a SQ newb so bare with me, but you do NOT want the unwanted noise to come into the car, sound deadener, for the most part just adds mass to the door panel, to help stop flex but doesnt do much in terms of quieting down road noise. CCF will really silence road noise, but to answer your question, yes, cover your inner door skin in CCF if you have enough material to do so, if not, just around the speaker will make an audible difference from what I've read. I have yet to experiment myself however, I actually got lucky browsing eBay just now and ordered a few SQ ft of Second Skin Overkill CCF on ebay for $6 shipped, cant beat that.

splwj47 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

U was want to use fiberglass bats (insulation) inside the do panels. I had a talk with keephopealive asking him about ccf and he said it is pretty much useless for absorbing sound. Im sure he will chime in her and give u a way better detailed answer then i have.

2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee
    HU- pioneer 80prs
    Front Stage- Tantric HD comps.
    FS Amp- B2 Quattro
    Sub Amp-B2 Zero1
    Subs- Tantric HDD 12's
    box - 4.5^3 32hz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B2WJ4.7 View Post
    Im sure he will chime in her and give u a way better detailed answer then we have.
    fixed, this. lol

@keep_hope_alive we are calling on you!

8. Likes splwj47 liked this post
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

my build log shows the process.

the goal for putting absorption inside the door is to absorb sound inside the door cavity before it finds a way into the cabin. this includes rear speaker sound as well as road noise.

closed cell foam (CCF) is not good for absorbing sound. it is good for isolating vibrations while not absorbing water.

open cell foam is ok at absorbing sound but relative to thickness and still mostly high frequencies. you need 12" thick wedges to start getting into mids.

fiberglass batt insulation in thin plastic bags (i use 1 mil) is excellent at absorbing sound inside the door. it's also the cheapest option.

you want foam for seals. you want to seal the speaker on both front and rear. front to the door panel/grill, and rear to the mounting baffle/door.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Closed Thread