Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New system issues

Just installed a system in my 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe

Sundown Audio SA-10 d2
    Precision Power Phantom p1000.1
    Kenwood Exceleon k696
    Kicker 1000w wiring kit
    Pre fab box 1.5 cuft 42 hertz (plan on upgrading)

The sub sounds awesome, but when i really try to push it my amp shuts off, i'm only running 4 ohms, not sure what that would be wattage wise, but what would cause my amp to shut off? It's mostly when hitting lows. I should be able to push this sub alot harder, i know it's not the sub, so is it because my box is tuned to high and i'm overdriving the amp? Crappy amp? Any help will be much appreciated.

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: New system issues

What's the amp doing? Going into protect? Might be your voltage dropping too low. Do you know what your voltage is at when that happens? Might be poor grounds too.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgballin26 View Post
    Just installed a system in my 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe

Sundown Audio SA-10 d2
    Precision Power Phantom p1000.1
    Kenwood Exceleon k696
    Kicker 1000w wiring kit
    Pre fab box 1.5 cuft 42 hertz (plan on upgrading)

The sub sounds awesome, but when i really try to push it my amp shuts off, i'm only running 4 ohms, not sure what that would be wattage wise, but what would cause my amp to shut off? It's mostly when hitting lows. I should be able to push this sub alot harder, i know it's not the sub, so is it because my box is tuned to high and i'm overdriving the amp? Crappy amp? Any help will be much appreciated.
    check all power connections. Especially at the fuse holder under the hood and the grounds. check all amp and speaker connections for a stray strand of wire that may be making contact where it should not. And no, they are not crappy amps, and box tune has nothing to do with it. How did you set the gain? did you verify by ear and eyesight how everything looks and sounds as far as clipping, you may be clipping the **** out of it and causing it to protect too...I mean, if you know your HU can send 2v to the amp, does the gain setting even look like it might be set in the general 2v area? Does the sub sound like it is clipping?

And if you feel like you have to overdrive it, why are you not running it at 1 ohm for 3X the output??

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

murph is online now Low for Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Gain setting is most likely wrong.

Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

bgballin26 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I did have problems finding a good spot to ground, I ended up sanding a spot close to where the 6x9's mount and using a self tapping screw. So maybe my ground is still not good enough. As far as gain goes, I have never used a bass knob and I'm pretty sure I didn't set it up right. I think I need to do some researching on how to set gain and use a bass knob. I wanted to make sure I work out all the issues before I go 1 ohm, but if it doesn't matter, I will go 1 ohm now. Thanks
    Last edited by bgballin26; 11-09-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My amp is rated at 580w @ 4 ohms, my sub is a 2 ohm sub but it is wired at 4 ohms, so when setting gain with a dmm do I figure 580 x 4 ohms or 580 x 2 ohms then square root?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

My amp is rated at 580w @ 4 ohms, my sub is a 2 ohm sub but it is wired at 4 ohms, so when setting gain with a dmm do I figure 580 x 4 ohms or 580 x 2 ohms then square root?
    580X4 ohms...should be about 45v...and no, your sub will wire to either a 4 ohm OR 1 ohm load....not a 2 ohm load.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

wire to 1 ohm and set the gains right..u probably have the gain set wayy to high and anp is clipping ..full output of that amp at 4 ohms is barely enough to get a sa moving ..so i more than likely got it cranked to get any out out..also yea tuning and prefab box are hurting u

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I kinda figured the box was hurting me, tuned to high, and it doesn't fit good at all in my car, i live about an hour and half away from Pro Rabbit and want him to build me a box. When i go 1 ohm will i do 1000 x 1 and take the square root of that for voltage output? 31 volts? On bass boost i'm reading no more than 2 db, and around 60 on lpf? Not sure about hpf though, i know this all will change when i get a box tuned around 32 hertz. Thanks for the help, this sub is barely moving but still sounds so clear and solid, i can't wait to get this bad boy moving some air around, i think it's a great combo for my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I kinda figured the box was hurting me, tuned to high, and it doesn't fit good at all in my car, i live about an hour and half away from Pro Rabbit and want him to build me a box. When i go 1 ohm will i do 1000 x 1 and take the square root of that for voltage output? 31 volts? On bass boost i'm reading no more than 2 db, and around 60 on lpf? Not sure about hpf though, i know this all will change when i get a box tuned around 32 hertz. Thanks for the help, this sub is barely moving but still sounds so clear and solid, i can't wait to get this bad boy moving some air around, i think it's a great combo for my car.
    yes 1000x1 and no bass boost leave it off ...lpf at 80-100 cross at 80 on hu..no hpf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

i had a sa12 on 1000 doin 138 and has 2 sa12 on 2 saz1000.and did a 146 i like em ..in the right box theu are awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

42hz is not too bad, but it could be better a little lower, depending on the music you listen to..for Rock, Country, etc., your box should sound ok..I would set the SubSonic filter to at least 30hz though until you get a better box. You might be somwhat happy with what you have, if you go ahead and put proper power to that sub, instead of under powering it so much.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I listen to a lot of rap, mostly down south, Slim Thug, Bun B, TI etc.. Occasionally i will throw in some rock but not that often. Nasty08Impala, 138 is awesome! After i get this all tuned and get another box i would love to see what it hits. I'm trying to avoid doing the big 3 or any electrical upgrades at the moment so hopefully going to 1 ohm won't effect my lighting to bad. I live in Stillwater by the Kicker plant and a lot of people around here think Kicker is all that, none of the car audio shops in Stillwater have heard of Sundown Audio. I'm ready to pull up to there shops rattling **** off their walls!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I listen to a lot of rap, mostly down south, Slim Thug, Bun B, TI etc.. Occasionally i will throw in some rock but not that often. Nasty08Impala, 138 is awesome! After i get this all tuned and get another box i would love to see what it hits. I'm trying to avoid doing the big 3 or any electrical upgrades at the moment so hopefully going to 1 ohm won't effect my lighting to bad. I live in Stillwater by the Kicker plant and a lot of people around here think Kicker is all that, none of the car audio shops in Stillwater have heard of Sundown Audio. I'm ready to pull up to there shops rattling **** off their walls!
    yea im real close to 150 now ...and kicker is crap....but yea if you listen to rap a nice custom box tuned around 32-33 is a must

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

and dont shy away from electrical is is ur systems best friend..feed it good juice and it will be happy..altho when i ran my 1sa on 1000 i had 4 gauge no big 3 and a extra deka in the trunk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast