Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Reload Thread: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

  1. #1
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    I have an iPhone 4s that I use for my music right now and I plug it into my HU via USB cable. I pay for Spotify and they have 320kbps downloads, so it's the perfect set up right now.

    The problem is that I want to get a new phone (a Windows 8 phone more specifically). I'm debating between the Nokia Lumia 920 and the HTC 8x. The 8x has a built in amp that boosts the output of the 3.5mm jack to 2.55 volts (apparently normal is about 1 volt?). I tested the difference using my iPhone between the USB cable and 3.5mm jack on my HU, and I can tell especially the bass sounds a lot better using the USB cable. But I'm thinking that maybe this built in amp in the HTC phone will make the 3.5mm perform better.

    Does this thought process even make sense? Does increasing the voltage of the audio source lead to a better/cleaner signal? Any thoughts?







  2. #2
    jockhater2's Avatar
    jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Saukville, WI
    Posts
    2,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    I have an iPhone 4s that I use for my music right now and I plug it into my HU via USB cable. I pay for Spotify and they have 320kbps downloads, so it's the perfect set up right now.

    The problem is that I want to get a new phone (a Windows 8 phone more specifically). I'm debating between the Nokia Lumia 920 and the HTC 8x. The 8x has a built in amp that boosts the output of the 3.5mm jack to 2.55 volts (apparently normal is about 1 volt?). I tested the difference using my iPhone between the USB cable and 3.5mm jack on my HU, and I can tell especially the bass sounds a lot better using the USB cable. But I'm thinking that maybe this built in amp in the HTC phone will make the 3.5mm perform better.

    Does this thought process even make sense? Does increasing the voltage of the audio source lead to a better/cleaner signal? Any thoughts?
    I don't think so. You just want your phone to play the music and that is it. The HU/amps do the signal boosting.

    That is why on my ipod I use a LOD cable. To bypass my ipods built in amp



    Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

  3. #3
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    I don't think so. You just want your phone to play the music and that is it. The HU/amps do the signal boosting.

    That is why on my ipod I use a LOD cable. To bypass my ipods built in amp
    What's an LOD cable?




  4. #4
    jockhater2's Avatar
    jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Saukville, WI
    Posts
    2,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    What's an LOD cable?
    Line Out Dock

    Here is what I used to use
    New FiiO L3 LOD Line Out Dock Cable for iPod and iPhone | eBay

    but I just got a new HU and switched to
    LOD to RCA | eBay



    Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

  5. #5
    jockhater2's Avatar
    jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Saukville, WI
    Posts
    2,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    when you use your phones amp. You are double amping your signal. It should be making the quality worse.



    Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

  6. #6
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,966
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    I doubt you would notice a big difference versus the 3.5mm on the iPhone. The DAC on any phone isn't that great. With that amp, all you are doing is boosting the signal, not adding any EQ. Maybe the DAC is better, and has a better EQ and so forth on it, who knows.

    My suggestion would be to keep using that iPhone for music. Or sell it and buy an iPod to keep in the car.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

  7. #7
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,966
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    when you use your phones amp. You are double amping your signal. It should be making the quality worse.
    That is not the reason it sounds worse. That's like saying a line driver makes all signals sound worse. Not the case. The reason is the DAC on the phones.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

  8. #8
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    Line Out Dock

    Here is what I used to use
    New FiiO L3 LOD Line Out Dock Cable for iPod and iPhone | eBay

    but I just got a new HU and switched to
    LOD to RCA | eBay
    Oh, ok. That's not necessary for me because I can just use the UBS in on the HU. That's an interesting cable though. Can't say I've seen one like it before.

    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    I doubt you would notice a big difference versus the 3.5mm on the iPhone. The DAC on any phone isn't that great. With that amp, all you are doing is boosting the signal, not adding any EQ. Maybe the DAC is better, and has a better EQ and so forth on it, who knows.

    My suggestion would be to keep using that iPhone for music. Or sell it and buy an iPod to keep in the car.
    Everything you just said was exactly what I was thinking, but I just wasnt sure. The problem is that I use Spotify for all my music which requires an app. The cheapest iPod touch now is $300... Maybe I'll just get the iPad mini for $330...
    Last edited by sjv13; 11-06-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: formatting




  9. #9
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,966
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    Everything you just said was exactly what I was thinking, but I just wasnt sure. The problem is that I use Spotify for all my music which requires an app. The cheapest iPod touch now is $300... Maybe I'll just get the iPad mini for $330...
    Oh yeah, Spotify streams doesn't it? So you're going to need phone signal regardless. Well, I would say your choices are to either dump spotify or figure out how to make the Windows phone work. Your call.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

  10. #10
    jockhater2's Avatar
    jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Saukville, WI
    Posts
    2,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    Oh, ok. That's not necessary for me because I can just use the UBS in on the HU. That's an interesting cable though. Can't say I've seen one like it before.
    Everyone who gets really into headphones and buys grados/headphones like them. Usually buy an external amp to power there headphones. And they always use an LOD cable to bypass there MP3 players DAC.
    That is where I found out about the cables. I don't like using the USB because that charges the ipod which ruins it's battery. So I use the LOD cable to bypass the DAC and get a purer signal.



    Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

  11. #11
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Oh yeah, Spotify streams doesn't it? So you're going to need phone signal regardless. Well, I would say your choices are to either dump spotify or figure out how to make the Windows phone work. Your call.
    Spotify can do both. It can stream or download. It only streams 320 if you have the paid version. And you can only download if you have the paid version. I have over 200 songs downloaded onto my actual phone, so I dont eat up data playing my fav songs over and over. It's really worth it for $10 a month.




  12. Likes N8er liked this post
  13. #12
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    Everyone who gets really into headphones and buys grados/headphones like them. Usually buy an external amp to power there headphones. And they always use an LOD cable to bypass there MP3 players DAC.
    That is where I found out about the cables. I don't like using the USB because that charges the ipod which ruins it's battery. So I use the LOD cable to bypass the DAC and get a purer signal.
    Oh, cool. That's good to know. I have an pair of Klipsch Image s4. Would I notice a difference if I used one of these LOD cables?




  14. #13
    jockhater2's Avatar
    jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Saukville, WI
    Posts
    2,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    Oh, cool. That's good to know. I have an pair of Klipsch Image s4. Would I notice a difference if I used one of these LOD cables?
    Nope those are only 18 ohms.
    An LOD for your headphones would only really benefit if you had headphones like these. They are 600 ohms. So your ipod/phone would not be able to power them. And to use an LOD with your headphones. You would need a headphone amplifier.

    Beyerdynamic T1 600 Ohm Tesla Headphones | Full Compass



    Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

  15. #14
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Running cell phone thru headphone amp before connecting 3.5mm to HU?

    Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    Nope those are only 18 ohms.
    An LOD for your headphones would only really benefit if you had headphones like these. They are 600 ohms. So your ipod/phone would not be able to power them. And to use an LOD with your headphones. You would need a headphone amplifier.

    Beyerdynamic T1 600 Ohm Tesla Headphones | Full Compass
    Ah, okay. Makes sense.




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Blu Ray, Radar Detector, Cell phone, PPI Art amp and Rockford amp
    By DaveVT in forum Miscellaneous Car Audio Classifieds
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 09:41 PM
  2. WTT: Serpent 710 Nitro RC Car/Motorola SLVR L6 Cell phone for SUBS/AMP/BOX
    By Serpent710 in forum Miscellaneous Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 09:07 PM
  3. How to connect a zune to HU does it sound good?
    By darkhunter139 in forum Head Units
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
  4. how to connect mp3 players to hu?
    By hondarider in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-23-2006, 12:24 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 06:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum