Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How difficult to switch to component speakers?

ledvedder is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How difficult to switch to component speakers?

Thanks for everyone's help and feedback so far. I recently replaced the factory stereo in the 2003 Dodge Caravan to a Clarion CZ702. So far, I really like it. I'm still messing with some of the settings, like time alignment and custom EQ settings, besides the set EQ's that are on the unit. I'm thinking about upgrading the factory speakers. Crutchfield has recommended a full set of Pioneers (Pioneer TS-A6964R in the rear, Pioneer TS-A1674R in the doors, and Pioneer TS-G1344R in the dash). While reading up on a lot of information, I was thinking of maybe trying component speakers, but I'm not sure how difficult they would be to install. I'd like to keep my budget in the mid-level range. I can actually get the full set of Pioneers from Sonicelectronix for under $150. If I decided to try components, do I put them in every location? Or, just the door or the dash? Also, if anyone has recommendations on specific components and also installation, I'd really appreciate it.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Re: How difficult to switch to component speakers?

you can run components but then you need to locate external crossover, run dedicated wiring, etc. totally worth it, you don't want 6 tweeters in a car. you could replace the dash speakers with tweeters only, and front door woofers for a front component set. but you will have more work in doing this and some fabrication to build an adapter to fit tweeters in the dash locations. not a big deal if you have a jig saw.

buying from Crutchfield is a good bet for you. they will provide instructions, mounting adapters, speaker wire adapters, etc.

Boston Acoustics has better coax, IMO. if you can find them still. Or Infinity Reference or Eclipse SP series (if you can find them).

What do you have for depth of each? that is a big concern for any speaker swap - especially with the front doors. you have 6x9 sizes but aftermarket 6x9 will not likely fit without mounting adapters to increase mounting depth.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Make sure you post the same question on every different audio forum you can find.

This is such an advanced question that there is no way you could get a satisfactory answer on just one forum, right?

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by >>SQL<< View Post
    Make sure you post the same question on every different audio forum you can find.

This is such an advanced question that there is no way you could get a satisfactory answer on just one forum, right?
    Please keep the trolling to the dome. Please post helpful information about the topic or please move on.

Thanks.

5. Likes VisceralSound liked this post
    jungstah is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

i think you could just put the components into the front doors and then throw coaxials into the other speaker locations to make installation easier

Pioneer AVH-P2400BT
    Stock Pioneer 4" components
    Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D
    Two SA-12's
    cruddy prefab ported box----new box otw

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by >>SQL<< View Post

My apologies! I wasn't sure if the same people post and read on different forums.

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you read through some of the build on this or other sites you will find many examples of how to install components.

It is really very simple. Most cars require adapters to be made (jig saw piece of MDF) to fit the speakers in the doors or you can spend a few bucks more and order from Crutchfield and they will send you everything you need to make it even easier to install.

Components are used up front only typically.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Closed Thread